The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

24 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm only a casual viewer so it might be why, but I still don't get the buzz around Darby Allin at all. He looks like such a un-threatening little dweeb. He reminds me of those guys - on the wrong end of their 20's - who still hang around with teenagers, drinking cheap cider in parks (which they scrounged off someone else as they're perpetually skint). That's when they're not trying to nonce underage girls on tumblr. I just can't take him seriously as a threat, especially as a champion.

Are you one of those guys? Sounds like a very detailed ‘description’ there. 

Edited by Callum1993

27 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm only a casual viewer so it might be why, but I still don't get the buzz around Darby Allin at all. He looks like such a un-threatening little dweeb. He reminds me of those guys - on the wrong end of their 20's - who still hang around with teenagers, drinking cheap cider in parks (which they scrounged off someone else as they're perpetually skint). That's when they're not trying to nonce underage girls on tumblr. I just can't take him seriously as a threat, especially as a champion.

I find that he has a completely unique style of wrestling which counters his stature (does still look like he fingers girls in Slipknot hoodies, tho), it's not your typical small guy flips and instead it's this ultra intense cannonball like style where he just throws his entire body with what looks like reckless abandon. He's one of the very few that makes dives not look contrived.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Finally caught up on last weeks Dynamite. Really enjoyable, great start to the year for them.

That Fenix/Omega match was just a super fun, crazy sprint. The rolling cutter into the snapdragon suplex and Fenix's backflip into a german both got audible 'fuckin hell!'s out of me, so mission accomplished there. The pop when somebody kicks out of the One-Winged Angel will be insane.

Not arsed at all about the Good Brothers but I am intrigued in which direction it's going. The Young Bucks look like they may be playing reluctant heels, caught in the middle but still trying to back up their old mates. That's the impression I got when they attacked Brian Pillman Jnr anyway. But surely it's only a matter of time until they embrace it and become the dickhead heels Matt Jackson in paticular was born to be. Shoutout to my dodgy download for cutting off just before Nick Jackson joined the 'too sweet' pose. 

Everything else on this show was pretty strong too. The 8-man was a fine opener, Moxley was as good as ever, handsome Wardlow continues to improve, Snoop Dogg is funny as fuck and Baby Sting got some much-needed mic time. The only issue is that while I was enjoying the Shida/Abadon match, they seemed to go to the finish out of nowhere. When they have a packed show it always seems to be the womens match that suffers time-wise. 

Oh, and I do like Cody, but him being the first guest on the Dynamite edition of the Waiting Room is eye-rollingly predictable. 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

There's a good reason he's compared to Jeff Hardy. He's scrawny, paints his face and chucks himself about like he's willing to die. His finisher, like Hardy's is a move based on just climbing up on something high and lobbing yourself onto someone. Yeah he looks like he'd lose 9/10 fights he'd be in, but he's willing to die fighting.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Jackpot said:

I thought WWE copyrighted the "too sweet" gesture or have I got that arse above tit?

The Bucks said a few years ago they got a cease and desist from WWE about doing it and selling merch and threatening to sue them etc. After Dynamite this week, it was brought up and Tama Tonga bascially said it was a work. 

I’m currently reading the Bucks book and I’m hoping there’s some mention in there about the whole thing. 

• Paid Members

Brandi has been the worst thing on the show for ages, but I'm also really starting to get fed up of Cody. That's partly because he's treading water, but also because everything he's doing at the moment feels so unearned. He just gets to do stuff because he's Cody, like hes a legend even though he really, really isn't.  

I've not been able to click with Cody at all since AEW started, he's obviously talented as hell and can have a stellar match but good god do I hate his smug face. He's spoken about "shades of grey" but even when he's in full face mode he's just an unlikeable prick on screen to me.

I do have to say I kinda liked (for the wrong reasons) how he did a Hogan when losing the TNT title to Darby, made it about himself.

• Paid Members

Cody was absolutely excellent in the build up to his matches with Jericho and MJF. This cannot be denied. His work as a squeaky clean babyface is top notch. But he needs a strong storyline against a strong heel to be at his best. Everything he's done since outside of a few matches here and there has been pretty bad. For every good match or promo he has, he has about 5 bad. If he's not working from underneath he's a pretty bad wrestler. Psychology wise his matches often don't make any sense at all. His character  is often grating and really unlikeable for someone whos supposed to be a good guy. There's a definite aura of stale shit around him these days.

Cease and desist was against it being on Merch, proving it against an action a person makes is much harder to enforce, like when ddp tried to sue Jay Z for using the diamond cutter sign 😂

Just had a thought about tonight’s show, they are promoting The Elite as being in a six man tag, but not specifically saying if it’s Kenny and the Bucks or Kenny and the Good Brothers or any combo of the 5, nor have they said who the Elite are facing. I wonder if they spring a surprise and have Rich Swann and/or the Motor City Machine Guns show up as a preview for Impact’s PPV on Saturday?