The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Yeah that was a bit of a meh episode. Hopefully just a glitch and quality resumes next week. 

Found it annoying that FITE didn't show the 'picture in picture' parts of the matches, it's happened before and again hopefully that will be back to normal next week. 

Jungle Boys new theme is stuck in my head so some good did come of it! 

Meh I enjoyed it. Probably helps that I watch nowhere near the amount of wrestling that I used to. 

Waiting Room segment was a mess though, especially the awkward cut to the Thunder Rosa stuff.

The Miro stuff isn't what I hoped for but he seems happy in his role so fair play to the guy.

The Inner Circle segments are getting stale.

Fine with Sting fighting off the interference, Darby still won the match on his own.

Loved Pac Vs. Kingston. 

Matt Hardy seems so out of place in AEW, his digs about "3rd party agreements" are 3months out of date and add nothing but petty digs and he's now on his 3rd version of himself in less than a year.

Another thing about Miro and FTR, even the "worst" job wrestlers in wwe aren't as bad as Stunt or Chuck, Miro hasn't had a good match since he started and FTR have ran out of steam it seems, they look pretty bored too

I really enjoy FTR and assume their being dull act is because their gimmick is that. Fucking dull old territory cosplayers. It's pretty much why I don't mind them. In-ring they do the job, I don't really expect them to be shaving Tully's back or something in a skit.

43 minutes ago, Chili said:

I really enjoy FTR and assume their being dull act is because their gimmick is that. Fucking dull old territory cosplayers. It's pretty much why I don't mind them. In-ring they do the job, I don't really expect them to be shaving Tully's back or something in a skit.

Yeah I've always seen them as fairly straight up, sensible guys who take their work very seriously. As an 'act' there's not a huge amount about them beyond fighting and being the best tag team, but it works for them.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed more than I disliked, which is really all I ask for in a wrestling show if I'm honest.

The Good

- video packages before matches. More of this yes please.

- Pac/Kingston was really good. Both looked like they really wanted to hurt eachother which is my favourite thing in wrestling. Kingston is so good because he doesn't actually do that much in the ring but he sells everything really hard so it feels like he does. He hit Pac with a hard chop then sold his hand for the rest of the match to show that he hit Pac so hard he hurt his own hand. I love that man.

- loved the Inner Circle segment. Funny as hell and all of the group have such distinct characters because of their time in the group. Intrigued by next week's match. I'm not sure the Inner Circle has much steam left but the final few months with them steadily breaking down should be great TV.

- the DO segment put a big grin on my face. Loved Page popping up from the side and how happy he looks with his new pals. I'm hoping he joins them temporarily. 

- Kenny and Don mugging off the Bucks was perfect. Moxley going headfirst into a 3 on 1 fight is exactly what he should be doing. Good to also see that the Lucha Bros haven't forgotten that they hate the Young Bucks.

- FTR/Jurassic Express was a solid tag match. Nothing memorable but totally fine.

- Good god, Tay Conti is fit. Couldn't remember anything from the match.

- Really enjoyed the main event. The perfect match for both men's styles and characters and did wonders for them both. Starks was great at ringside too.

The Bad

- 50% of the matches started with the babyface diving onto their heel opponent.

- this Archer/Pac/Kingston deal feels pretty shallow. Not really sure why they hate eachother and it's going nowhere fast.

- Chuck Taylor's shitty offense and Miro selling it.

- Miro and Matt Hardy can fuck off.

- why wasn't that six man tag a 2 minute squash? Why the fuck is the World Champion bumping and selling for those scrubs? Why were there hot tags and dives and loads of other shit? They should have fucking MURDERED them.

- didn't really seem like anyone could be bothered during that brawl.

- Baker and Rebel have a great act. Why it's being used on this Cody/Cargill shit is beyond me. This whole thing feels like the worst kind of WWE angle. Terribly forced scripted bollocks going absolutely nowhere and hurting every act that comes anywhere near it. So appallingly shite. Can't believe they haven't scrapped it yet.

- Getting quite bored of Sting now. If they have something planned that isn't him just standing about I hope they do it quick. Keen for Team Taz to move onto something new too. Feud them with Dark Order or Death Triangle.

• Paid Members

I've never minded Chuck but losing Trent and having to be the understudy to Cassidy is gonna be a long 2021 for him until they're all reunited.

I enjoyed the show, mostly. Matt Hardy has a habit now of making me swear rather loudly and fast forward things because he's just dreadful. Jim Duggan's RAW run in the 00s had more upside.

PAC and Kingston was everything I wanted it to be and PAC still trying to batter him straight after the bell is just a good use of his character, how's he's a miserable bastard and how much he dislikes Kingston (they've got to put more backstory to it though, even if it's fabricated nonsense about Kingston not respecting him when he first came to America on the Indies).

I was surprised by how much I didn't dislike the NWA match, Conti is developing well as a worker and having her with Anna Jay who's probably more green but a better talker is fitting to their strengths well.

I'm seeing Omega not even as a Impact Vs AEW thing but as mentioned above The Club vs everyone beneath them. They do need to decide what they're doing with the Bucks though because they shouldn't be being used as fodder when they're the champs in the company the program is happening in.

I am starting to think that with no more Chikara, this is leading to AEW starting their own version of King of Trios though. The Club, Dark Order, Inner Circle, Best Friends, Bucks and Page, Death Triangle, Gunn Club, Hardy and Private Party, Kingston's Army, Team Taz, Nightmare Family. That's just off the top of my head, a few New Japan factions or AAA as well. It could make for an amazing 2 night PPV and be something WWE could never wish they could try. The fact so many named up there are in storylines with each other too. I love it. Screw good guys and bad guys, it's sticking your flag in the ground and declaring your group of mates are the best in the industry.

• Paid Members

I would love an AEW Trios cup. I love the idea so much that I spent the other morning when I had nothing to do fantasy booking one and writing it up on my laptop.

If anyone was wondering: I had Adam Page, John Silver and Reynolds winning in the finals. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

I don't really understand the story they're trying to tell. Is it AEW vs Impact but AEW's champ has sided with Impact because his mates work there or is it just Omega/Gallows/Anderson vs everyone? 

I assume the latter as the three are up against the Impact champ and one of the top tag teams at their PPV on Saturday.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

I don't really understand the story they're trying to tell. Is it AEW vs Impact but AEW's champ has sided with Impact because his mates work there or is it just Omega/Gallows/Anderson vs everyone? 

It's Omega vs. everyone, basically.

The way I see it, Omega came up short in his first attempts to become World Champion, then feels like he wasted his time with a tag team partner who never really cared for him, or who he never really cared for. In order to beat Moxley for the belt, he had to go back to what got him to the top in the first place - breaking the rules, and being an obnoxious dick. And rather than rely on a guy like Adam Page, he went to someone who's always had his back and who he knew he can trust in Don Callis, who he's known practically his entire life - while Callis can continue to live vicariously through Omega's success, while paying back Omega's family for supporting him at the start of his career. 

Now that Omega has the belt and knows that Moxley's out to get him, he wants friends watching his back. It just so happens that his buddy Don Callis also owns Impact, and that the Good Brothers work there, so it all falls into place.

That's how things are from the AEW perspective. From the Impact perspective, the angle is a little more "AEW vs. Impact" and a bit more cross-promotional, given the Two Tonys' videos and whatnot - and that's actually my least favourite part of this, the inconsistency in Tony Khan being angry at Omega for how he won the belt, but allowing him to bring Gallows & Anderson to AEW, and to wrestle for Impact in general, when you'd think Khan would want to protect his investment, or somehow allow Omega to be admonished for his actions. 

Khan could be giving Omega enough rope to kill himself. Wrestles a harder schedule, gets complacent as gets his own way, then wham challenger takes the title off him and back for aew

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Louch said:

Khan could be giving Omega enough rope to kill himself. Wrestles a harder schedule, gets complacent as gets his own way, then wham challenger takes the title off him and back for aew

That would be a really fun story, especially if they tie in that he worked Triplemania as well.

In WCW, when a lot of the Cruiserweights weren't yet on exclusive deals, Mike Tenay used to always talk about how Rey Misterio Jr's title reign might be in jeopardy because of his schedule, how he was wrestling in Mexico and Japan on top of his WCW commitments, and all it would take was for someone to take advantage of that fatigue. It's a note of realism utterly absent in most wrestling these days, where everyone is expected to be 100% all of the time, even if they had a gruelling match a matter of hours (or minutes!) earlier.