The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

Also the minor complaints are hysterically funny. Saw elsewhere a person losing their mind that Fuego losing, then still getting the contact devalued AEW stipulations in the future. 

I love wrestling, but we fucking deserve it sometimes. 

I wouldn’t say that it devalues stipulations, but to have a stip that required someone to win only to then give them the thing any way just means it was a pointless stip in the first place. It’s like that time Rey Mysterious lost the #1 contender ship to Randy Orton only to then get added back to the match on the following Smackdown.

Fuego Del Sol in defeat gained a contract and lost nothing. I’m aware now that some elements of the story have played out online and such, but if you’re just watching the TV show and are told “person X gets whatever if they win” only to have them lose and give it to them anyway, then what was the point?

There was a line on commentary, I think it was from Excalibur, who said that Fuego could win by count out and get his contract that way, which would’ve allowed for the contract to be won and do a rematch where Miro can give him a pasting. But, this is AEW where they don’t do Count Outs or DQs unless they absolutely have to

It’s like the Shane vs Undertaker match at wrestlemania that year when Vince said if Shane won he would get control of raw. Shane lost and got control of raw anyway and everyone ripped it to shreds. To be clear, I think it is totally fine, but the general hypocrisy from wrestling fans in general when it comes to both sides is quite funny.

• Paid Members

watching it, absolutely none of that occurred to me. When they teased the count-out, I did think they might go with a DQ finish so that Miro kept the title and Fuego won the contract, but mostly I figured when Fuego lost that he'd just keep on trying to earn a spot anyway. When they came out to give him the contract I thought, "oh, that's nice" and that they were saying, "you showed us something in this match that's worth signing you even if you didn't win", and didn't see anything that contradicted the story of the match in that. 

Like Lance Storm said, it wasn't "if he loses he doesn't get a contract", it wasn't like they were saying this was his only shot at getting signed. That might sound like pedantry, but I think in terms of how the story played out it's an accurate summation of what was going on. It was a simple story told well, and that Rocky sense of the babyface losing the big match, but still having gained something through the effort of fighting it.

7 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah that’s a better more recent example, and one that I’d completely forgotten about. I’m sure there’s a tonne of other examples from various promotions

I don’t watch NXT so am basing this solely on all the crying I’ve seen about it, but the thing with dexter lumis, Gargano and the woman in his stable that i can’t quite remember at the moment. The stip was something like if Dexter won he could date her? Then He lost and then just got to date her anyway. Again, don’t watch so that’s just a summation I’ve got in my head from reading peoples thoughts on it. But it sounds similar.

• Paid Members

That six man tag to open the show was golden. Heart thumping stuff. Dante Martin was made in one night. Omega and The Bucks deserve a tonne of credit for consistently being involved in other people's best matches in the promotion. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

watching it, absolutely none of that occurred to me. When they teased the count-out, I did think they might go with a DQ finish so that Miro kept the title and Fuego won the contract, but mostly I figured when Fuego lost that he'd just keep on trying to earn a spot anyway. When they came out to give him the contract I thought, "oh, that's nice" and that they were saying, "you showed us something in this match that's worth signing you even if you didn't win", and didn't see anything that contradicted the story of the match in that. 

Like Lance Storm said, it wasn't "if he loses he doesn't get a contract", it wasn't like they were saying this was his only shot at getting signed. That might sound like pedantry, but I think in terms of how the story played out it's an accurate summation of what was going on. It was a simple story told well, and that Rocky sense of the babyface losing the big match, but still having gained something through the effort of fighting it.

Absolutely this. They made Fuego go against fucking Miro, and instead of cowering away, he went right at him even BEFORE the opening bell. There were key points in the match where it looked like Fuego could possibly have won it. In kayfabe terms, why wouldn't AEW want to sign him after a performance like that?

I don't think it's comparable to other times when companies reneged on stipulations because he earned it. They were fucking with him with that stipulation and he proved them wrong.

If it reminds me of anything, it'd be TUF 1 when Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar's match in the final earned them both UFC contracts, even though competing for one was the entire point of the show. In fact, most of the fighters got signed, and it didn't devalue the show in the slightest. Because they showed enough to justify it, even if they didn't win.

10 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

The stakes for Feugo were so low is why most people find it acceptable. All he got was a contract.

It's more in line with the Radicalz getting the chance to "win" contracts when they debuted, only to lose all their matches. Then get contracts anyway.

The difference with that though is that, yes the Radicals got contracts, but it came with strings (i.e. they became lackeys to Triple H).

I don't mind it. The only minor criticism I have is I didn't think Feugo showed enough fight in the match with Miro to get the moral victory. He got absolutely pasted. 

• Paid Members

Flicking through the channels last night I caught Dynamite on ITV4. Originally I just wanted to watch Dante Martin again but then I ended up rewatching the whole thing.

Edited down to an hour, going Opening Six Man Tag -> Christian promo -> Britt Baker Promo -> Main Event, this was a fucking amazing little show that felt super hot. That visual of the fans swinging the towels as Britt comes down to the ring in particular. Absolutely amazing. I know, “attracting the casual fan,” is mostly a pipe dream touted by bell-ends but this genuinely felt like a show that could click with newcomers. For the first time in as long as I can remember this feels like a show that I would start watching if I was a kid.

Does anyone know what numbers Dynamite does in the UK? I remember TNA used to always do well over here and I don’t recall that company ever feeling as hot as this does currently.

Backbodydrop.com says its around 100k in it's "live" ITV4 slot and always beats RAW and other WWE programming, Cody noted on a media call last year that ITV4 reached 6.7 million people who watched for more than 5 mins in its first year of coverage either live or on deman

August 16, 2021 Update
Raw live on August 02 – 47,500 (up 15,500 on the prior week)
NXT live on August 03 – 37,800 (up 18,200 on the prior week)
SmackDown live on August 06 – 42,400 (down 15,700 on the prior week)

AEW Dynamite from August 04 (aired August 06) – 123,000 (up 33,000 on the prior week’s show) [Dynamite started at 11.30pm]

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

Backbodydrop.com says its around 100k in it's "live" ITV4 slot and always beats RAW and other WWE programming, Cody noted on a media call last year that ITV4 reached 6.7 million people who watched for more than 5 mins in its first year of coverage either live or on deman

August 16, 2021 Update
Raw live on August 02 – 47,500 (up 15,500 on the prior week)
NXT live on August 03 – 37,800 (up 18,200 on the prior week)
SmackDown live on August 06 – 42,400 (down 15,700 on the prior week)

AEW Dynamite from August 04 (aired August 06) – 123,000 (up 33,000 on the prior week’s show) [Dynamite started at 11.30pm]

It also has the 1 hour edited version on ITV on Monday Nights still, so I wonder what that gets