Utterly shit adverts

gmoney

Just now, wordsfromlee said:

Those fucking Nationwide adverts where members of the public read their shit self-penned poems into their camera phone.

I've been with Nationwide my whole life, but those adverts are making me genuinely consider closing my account.

Do adverts actually work? Has anyone on here bought anything based on the advert? I buy based on sales, whoops labels, and comparison site searches. Most adverts, especially shit ones, actively turn me away. I've never bought Old Spice despite the fact that random shower guy and Terry Crews make me blow air out of my nose.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I've never bought Old Spice

Then you're missing out. My nan used to buy me and my dad old spice every birthday and Christmas, so I've got loads to use and it's great. Better than anything else after a shave and it regularly gets comments on being nice at work because you smell it around so little these days.

But to answer your question advertising generally puts me off a product more often that it engages or positively influences me. The worst thing an advert can do is overplay, it makes re remember the brand but not with positive feelings.

Edited by Tommy!

4 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Do adverts actually work? Has anyone on here bought anything based on the advert? I buy based on sales, whoops labels, and comparison site searches. Most adverts, especially shit ones, actively turn me away. I've never bought Old Spice despite the fact that random shower guy and Terry Crews make me blow air out of my nose.

TV ads aren't usually intended to directly get you to buy something, as counterintuitive as it sounds. There's a reason so many of the most 'successful' ads are the ones that are considered the most annoying. They stick in your mind.

The main purpose of ads is to reinforce brand recognition and to plant knowledge of a particular brand, product or service in your mind so when the time comes to making a purchase, that particular brand is already in your head, which greatly raises the chances of you opting for it over the others you have to choose from.

I'm not saying all ads work by any means - a lot of them are so bad they do actively discourage you from purchasing from them. But a problem with TV/traditional media ads is that they're stuck on a channel where only a fraction of the audience might be their potential target, which means that a lot of the ads you watch won't have any relevance to you.

Also - fuck the Nationwide ads. Terrible on all counts.

4 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I buy based on sales, whoops labels, and comparison site searches.

I'd be interested to know which comparison sites you use, and whether it's one you're aware of from a TV ad. When you type the site into your browser, I'm sure there's a good chance you can 'hear' the name in a faint voice at the back of your mind.

Apologies for the essay - having a long day here.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
On 5/30/2020 at 5:24 PM, Undefeated Steak said:

TV ads aren't usually intended to directly get you to buy something, as counterintuitive as it sounds. There's a reason so many of the most 'successful' ads are the ones that are considered the most annoying. They stick in your mind.

The main purpose of ads is to reinforce brand recognition and to plant knowledge of a particular brand, product or service in your mind so when the time comes to making a purchase, that particular brand is already in your head, which greatly raises the chances of you opting for it over the others you have to choose from.

I'm not saying all ads work by any means - a lot of them are so bad they do actively discourage you from purchasing from them. But a problem with TV/traditional media ads is that they're stuck on a channel where only a fraction of the audience might be their potential target, which means that a lot of the ads you watch won't have any relevance to you.

It's exactly this. I've had to convince people before about where TV marketing can make a difference. Even if you think you hate a brand, there's a trust factor that exists just by virtue of having been on TV.

While comparison sites may not be used quite as often as they used to be, the behaviour we saw suggested that a popular option was the cheapest one people had heard of. It didn't matter whether you thought well or badly of them - if you hadn't heard of them, you were less likely to buy them, even if it was a better deal.

Getting your brand in front of people is still difficult. TV is a pretty simple way of doing it, and it's still fairly cost-effective.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Do musicians get any sense out of satisfaction from those twee slowed down versions of classic rock songs that go on car adverts? I’m bloody sick of that ‘Born To Be Wild’ cover that ITV Hub show five times every ad break during AEW.

Probably, when the publishing cheque comes in.