Utterly shit adverts

gmoney

• Paid Members
On 9/23/2020 at 1:46 PM, Carbomb said:

See, I put it down to that fucking cover of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" that they used for some car advert. 

Him getting Christmas number one over The Darkness caused all this mess. I worked in a local independent record shop when his album came out. We had a pretty stiff no refunds policy, but I took mercy on one poor bloke who told me he bought it but it was just shit. I refunded the fella, he'd been through enough.

• Paid Members

I was watching something this morning and a breathy twee guitar version of Is This Love by Bob Martley was playing over the final scene. This almost feels like it deserves its own thread, rather than polluting the bad adverts thread? 

Are we claiming the Gary Jules version of Mad World from Donnie Darko as patient zero of the shitstorm? 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

One of the women from the overly earnest poems on the Nationwide adverts during lockdown showed up on Jonathan Ross’ Comedy Club on Saturday night and it gave me PTSD-style flashbacks when I saw her face. 

I worked for Nationwide for 6 years and feel compelled to bring up that I was always proud to say I did until the moment the DVD preview hit my branch of the Little Britain ads they did. Patronising and not funny. For a place that pushes the “we’re not a bank” rhetoric to the hilt, there is a point where it just comes across as smugness rather than making it come across as beneficial to the consumer.

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I was watching something this morning and a breathy twee guitar version of Is This Love by Bob Martley was playing over the final scene. This almost feels like it deserves its own thread, rather than polluting the bad adverts thread? 

Are we claiming the Gary Jules version of Mad World from Donnie Darko as patient zero of the shitstorm? 

I think it was case zero but the singing shows kept it popular. My other half has made me watch a lifetime of X-Factor, American Idol, TheVoice etc. These shows are built on singers doing cover versions every week so they have always been full of this breathy, one singer, one piano/guitar folky bollocks. Its usually because its Disco theme week and the singer has no range so they do an awful slow, breathy version of Daddy Cool and the judges proclaim them an artitistic genius for it. I've always pointed out how fucking lazy this is but usually get told to shut up.

I agree with people saying it was the John Lewis Christmas ads that really pushed it into overkill in the advert world. Those became Christmas "Events" that idiots look forward to every year.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I agree with people saying it was the John Lewis Christmas ads that really pushed it into overkill in the advert world. Those became Christmas "Events" that idiots look forward to every year.

When what they really should be looking forward to is The Festive Bake!

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Those became Christmas "Events" that idiots look forward to every year.

There's someone in our office who gets far too excited and hyperactive about our Christmas adverts and "mascot" and I've seen it put a truly pained expression on people's faces more than once as they shout about it on and on and on to people too polite to tell him to fuck off. 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

less than six weeks to wait! it's always a Thursday and this year Christmas starts on November 5th! 🎄

According to supermarket mince pie availability and a full aisle of decorations in B&M, Christmas started two weeks ago.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Over and above their political biases, the never-ending decline of their news output, and the historical noncing, the absolute worst thing about the BBC is that they report on this shit as a news story. Free advertising on the BBC, and all it took was a shitty acoustic cover of Wonderwall. Fuck right off.

This year's will end up being a lonely anthropomorphised coronavirus unwrapping a gift that turns out to be a laptop letting it Zoom chat with its adorable virus family, and no one will ever fucking shut up about it.