AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

From the way I've heard Moxley talk about AEW already it really does seem like the perfect enviroment for Punk if he ever does decide to wrestle again, I'm more on the side of him not coming back but there's been no better time or place.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I don't think he'll ever get back into it to be honest.

Same. Be a shame though. He's only 40, in good shape and can talk his arse off. I watched a load of his best bits recently and it's easy to forget how fucking good he can be.

That said, I'm not sure what he'd do wherever it came back without it feeling like a rehash. Maybe just coming back and having great matches with new guys would be enough, I dunno.

The mark wrestling fan in me thinks it’s all a bit Jericho when he was trying his absolute best to convince everyone he wasn’t returning at the Royal Rumble (forget which one it was, but him and Ziggler were 1 and 2.) He was spotted at an airport and then started retweeting photoshopped pictures of him at various places to show how easy it was to doctor pictures. 

The reality though is that CM Punk is probably done with professional wrestling. Which is a fucking shame because he was great at it. Similar to Moxley, he was just someone else who loved the business and wanted it to do well but was chewed up and spat out by the WWE machine which ultimately just sucked everything wrestling related out of him to the point where he hated it. 

The money he made won't last him the next 40 years, at least it won't keep him and his wife in the lifestyle they're accustomed to. He has no future in MMA money wise either. I'd say he'll be back in a few years if AEW is still about and can offer big money. Can't see him going back to a Vince or Triple H run WWE though, unless they chuck Goldberg level money at him.

• Paid Members

The second half of this video fills me with even more optimism.

Some random B show and they’ve still managed to get me hooked. Moxley cuts a great promo on Janela and then they tell a simple story about Cody potentially making a mistake taking a singles match against an unpredictable opponent so close to his tag match with Dustin against the Bucks. I don’t even know who Derby Allen is and I’m still interested. 

Come on though, Mox. Shooting promos in portrait mode?! Get a grip. I’ll let him off though because, “Amazon Prime for head trauma,” is such a great line.

Punk's an odd one.

He's still young enough for one really good run at the top of the industry.  I understand completely his reasons for not going back to WWE, they really did fuck him over in some respects.

But the way he's walked away from the whole sport, with nothing to replace it, for someone who's obviously so restlessly creative it seems odd.  If I was him I'd be bored shitless by now.

It does make you think, if he doesn't do a stint in AEW, that he was maybe never that into it in the first place.  I'd compare him to someone like Sting.  By the collapse of WCW Sting had absolutely nothing to prove to anyone, and he certainly didn't need the money, but he became the figurehead of TNA because he genuinely loved wrestling, and even when he was completely out of juice, he still signed to WWE as there were some guys he really wanted to work with.  

Punk could be the Sting of AEW, their icon who can still go, but I get the impression he's not that fussed really.