AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

HAHA THAT'S AN INTERNET REFERENCE I AM FAMILIAR WITH 

Absolute shit. 

It would be fine if it wasn’t the top star in the promotion. It’s harmless nonsense. But it’s a bit shit when your grudge match main event babyface is doing it. 

10 hours ago, Statto said:

Basically, Jericho didn't want to take the back bump for the Codbreaker anymore, so...

He used the codebreaker as the counter to an Omega move off the top.....

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Statto said:

Basically, Jericho didn't want to take the back bump for the Codbreaker anymore, so...

I thought that was Bobby Fish's version.

• Paid Members

Ambrose's interview with Wade Keller is really good. Comes across as quite well grounded and smart to the business. I'd been putting off listening to it, because every other interview with him I could barely stomach, but he's really letting loose on this. Actually seems quite likable.

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Ambrose's interview with Wade Keller is really good. Comes across as quite well grounded and smart to the business. I'd been putting off listening to it, because every other interview with him I could barely stomach, but he's really letting loose on this. Actually seems quite likable.

Buried in another thread somewhere I re-reviewed Ambrose's infamous Austin interview. I understand he addresses the interview? Something about being promised they wouldn't discuss his childhood but Austin keeps asking about it, and wound him up. 

I'm not sure it fully addresses his professionalism, but I kinda get it. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

I watched this show again. Since One Night Stand in 2005, I can only remember doing that one other time. I listened to the SCG review of the show, which was really good if not slightly hyperbolic - I'm still somewhere nicely in the middle of "they're not even an alternative" and "this is going to kill WWE" - and realised that I'd missed bits or not paid full attention.

I enjoyed it even more on second viewing. Particularly the opener and the "joshi" match. The opener I put down to spending the whole match critiquing the pre-show in my head. That was an exciting little match that the crowd loved. CIMA was great. Look forward to seeing more of him. The Japanese girls worked really hard and carried Kong. I didn't like this at all the first time and wouldn't say it was incredible or anything but the work was superb and a division of these guys, well girls, could be awesome.

Didn't mind the commentary so much on the second watch. Again, I think without the shit pre-show performance from Marvez and the awkward on camera stuff, it's not bad. The repeated moves thing LEGIT mentioned after the show though I put down a lot fo the commentary. In both the joshi match and Rhodes' battle you get a tope and the commentators screaming "Tope suicida" like they've never seen one before. They wouldn't do that on an armrag or an irish whip so while a tope shouldn't just be a move, it is - even in WWE. Stop yelling.

JR is brilliant in that Rhodes brother's match. I got genuine goosebumps in the post-match promo. Can't remember the last time that happened in wrestling. And this was on the second watch. Seriously unexpected.

I know I've probably come across as chief defender of AEW in the thread but that's mainly been to counter what I think are some unfounded criticisms. I have found this show a breath of fresh air though. And honestly, I didn't expect to like it one bit. As mentioned many times, I'm not what is being cast as the stereotypical AEW fan. Not even in the slightest. But at a time where I've grown really, really bored of WWE and am finding the company pretty fucking sickening tbh, this was just a well presented, well paced wrestling show that had little that insulted your intelligence and one truly great match showcasing a guy I would love to get behind. Plus a lot of guys I don't really know but would like to see what happens to on this evidence.

So yeah, an exciting prospect I never saw coming.

Edited by tiger_rick

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I know I've probably come across as chief defender of AEW in the thread

Nah, I’m sure there is someone else with that title, just can’t think who. 

45 minutes ago, Joe_the_Lion said:

Meltzer gave the Rhodes boys five stars🙄

In a sea of meaningless moves, flips and super kicks it was the best thing on the show by a million miles and the best thing I’ve seen in wrestling in years. If anything deserved five stars recently, it was that.