AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

The other thing with HHH is he really hasn't had to book under pressure. He hasn't got to answer to TV execs, he can tape shows in advance, doesn't have to worry about ratings and only has to book hour long shows. He's basically playing EWR and not TEW. He can just put two good wrestlers together and get their overness to 80. He doesn't have to deal with overness caps etc. 

• Paid Members

The current state of NXT, his instance on having long matches at 'Mania, shoe-horning himself into top WWE story lines whenever he can and that butt-licking documentary about his WrestleMania week have really put me off the idea of Trips having much positive impact on WWE's creative output. He strikes me as a short-term booker with an over-reliance on 'moments'.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

The current state of NXT, his instance on having long matches at 'Mania, shoe-horning himself into top WWE story lines whenever he can and that butt-licking documentary about his WrestleMania week have really put me off the idea of Trips having much positive impact on WWE's creative output. He strikes me as a short-term booker with an over-reliance on 'moments'.

He’s wrestling’s version of David Moyes then. NXT being Everton and WWE being Man Utd.

• Paid Members

Jericho tells a story of how when Vince wasn't at Raw one week Triple H hated the Festival of Friendship heel turn and tried to have it changed because it was "too goofy". Jericho had to call up Vince to make sure it stayed. If Triple H had his way we wouldn't of had the only truly good wrestling angle of the past 5 (maybe more) years. He's Stephanie's husband, and she's probably the most damaging onscreen character in wrestling history. He's had Vince's ear for years. NXT is his baby and it's barely produced any real stars that sell tickets or move the needle during it's existence. WWE will not be better off with him in charge. 

57 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

NXT is his baby and it's barely produced any real stars that sell tickets or move the needle during it's existence. WWE will not be better off with him in charge. 

This is something that always gets me. Fair enough his NXT has created a number of top female stars, but it hasn’t really built any top male stars in WWE who weren’t already big names from TNA, Japan or the Indies.

Who would the biggest products be? Reigns and Rollins might count but they were probably more FCW really. Failing that it’s probably Bray Wyatt or Elias isn’t it? Hardly top guys. 

Edited by Sergio Bellend

1 hour ago, Sergio Bellend said:

This is something that always gets me. Fair enough his NXT has created a number of top female stars, but it hasn’t really built any top male stars in WWE who weren’t already big names from TNA, Japan or the Indies.

Who would the biggest products be? Reigns and Rollins might count but they were probably more FCW really. Failing that it’s probably Bray Wyatt or Elias isn’t it? Hardly top guys. 

Becky Lynch? Charlotte Flair? Kevin Owens? Finn Balor? NXT has produced a solid number of big names. 

Edited by RedRooster

37 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

To prove a point, he made several caveats that means that 95% of the people from NXT don’t count. 

I didn’t read the ‘female stars’ part of his post if I’m honest...

Still, NXT has produced plenty compelling male characters and Baron Corbin. 

NXT produces plenty of stars. They introduce talent in a way where you are expected to know who they are. Most the NXT fans would rather google them and than admit they aren’t aware of someone. Then they create a WWE history and give them a bunch of quality matches to show they can go. They polish everyone up and are great at finding individual’s strengths and developing a WWE character. 

WWE can then cherry pick whoever they want to pad out their roster or pop the crowd when they need a moment. NXT delivers stars ready to go. WWE would just rather ride the initial month long buzz and not follow up on anyone.

Pretty much everyone has followed the same formula, which renders the NXT formula useless. Look at what they have done with Roderick Strong, but he isn’t going to stand a chance on main roster 

• Paid Members

It's crazy to have a feeder system that is so different to the end product. It'd be like a football team having a youth academy that pumps out small, gifted, technical players when their first team manager is Tony Pulis.

Velveteen Dream is the first guy I've watched in NXT and thought he looks like a main roster character perhaps since Bray Wyatt. The rest either don't have a character or have one that won't translate. That might be OK if they were going to go into an environment where being themselves and working with their genuine backstory was going to be possible but it isn't. They're going to have to ride along on their poorly defined one-dimensional character. it doesn't help build people but it's even worse for building stories. I know I keep banging on about this, but nothing outside of title matches and "championship opportunites"  matter because there is nothing else in anyone's character to get your teeth into.

In NXT they get away with that sort of thing because they'll exploit someone's real life friendship, real life marriage, real life relationship, real life struggle to make it to WWE, etc. But they're in an environment were they don't have to build that, people just know it. They make the same assumptions in WWE and it doesn't work. Take Becky climbing into the back of that ambulance with Rollins the other week. If you're not on Twitter or Instagram, do you know what the fuck is going on there?

I don't quite agree with Gladders that NXT is shit. As a standalone product, it's OK. It's fairly dull week to week but it builds to events you want to see every couple of months and they deliver great wrestling and great drama. But he's right about it not doing it's job and in fairness to others, that's not a brand-new thought. it doesn't deliver WWE ready acts. Insanely talented wrestlers - yes. But not the ones they want to work with.

It's all very disjointed. Perhaps one day when Triple H does run everything, that will be the big advantage, that you have one guy's vision over everything.

Now NXT is the "third brand", they could almost do with a new OVW underneath NXT so they can try and produce their own guys. Whatever they are doing with the PC and NXT, as impressive as both are, doesn't seem to work because the people who are starring in NXT are still the finds from the indies and Japan. I appreciate that they're not in a position to get guys like Rocky, Lesnar, Angle and Randy these days who are the cream of amateur wrestling or guys released from football but there must be hundreds and hundreds of guys below the top level who have the size and athleticism they want. Why is it so hard for them to find abnd develop those guys now? They used to do it as a matter of course.

It's not an easy problem to resolve without a change of philosophy top to bottom but they don't feel the need to do that because money is rolling in.