Sign in to follow this  
Mat

AEW Double or Nothing

1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

If he really wanted to send a fuck you to Vince and HHH then why not add your name value to AEW and try and help a viable alternative be successful. 

He might not be obsessed enough with Vince and HHH to base his life choices on sending fuck yous to them.

12 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Throne Breaker is what I call my Boxing Day morning shit. This was the shittest part of the show. Makes sense to me to make a t shirt out of it. 

Shame really, because it's actually a good design wasted on a truly awful moment.

Would we call working some dates for AEW for a hefty financial reward a "life choice"? 

We're not talking about a 300 dates a year, living out of airports and hotels, touring the world and never seeing your family.

If you were in your dream job but your boss in part made it that shite that you left, then he sued you for telling people how he treated you and you were bitter towards that industry going forward then years later you got a chance to try and take a dent out of his business but you wouldn't? Fair enough but not for me.

I'm not a fan of the Throne spot but I don't really have a problem with it in itself but I wouldn't hang my hat on a naff cheap shot either. It should have been a cute throw away nothing more.

I really don't like the AEW t-shirts by and large. They should try and think more NJPW style. I mean to a degree the Bullet Club shirt is what helped get most of them to the dance. Certainly the Being the Elite lot. I don't mean ripping NJPW off more so trying to use the Japanese merch style rather than third rate metal band album covers.

I think the thing with Punk is that it wasn't just WWE, it soured him on the entire business. He might just not want to wrestle at all any more.

If it's true that he's done a few indie shows under a mask for mates, then maybe he still has a little interest in it, or maybe he's just popped by to see a friend. In any event, I don't think it's inevitable that he'll one day resurface anywhere.

That said, he seems to be matey with Cody, and before he and Colt fell out, once said that if he ever wrestled another match, it would be him and Colt against the Young Bucks in PWG. So I can see him showing up at an AEW show to do them a favour, but not wrestling regularly for them.

The thing is, as good as he could be, I'm struggling to envision a fit for CM Punk in the current wrestling scene. I can't think of an angle or a storyline that would be a satisfying return for him, rather than a Vince vs. Bret shambles. The appeal of him being the rebellious indie star making it to the top of WWE has been diminished by every other fucker having the same backstory as him now, Moxley's already doing the "former WWE star freed from their shackles", there are ex-UFC guys on the scene with far better records than Punk. Outside of the initial "holy shit he's back" interest, I can't picture a long-term role for him - it feels like wrestling has moved on.

Edited by BomberPat

52 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Shame really, because it's actually a good design wasted on a truly awful moment.

Yeah, it's brilliant isn't it. Just a shame the moment was crap. Can see why they'd release it. If Meltzer thought it was great, there's a market for it. I'd like to see them leave that shit alone though. Just concentrate on yourselves. You've got WWE talking about them at the HOF and on Raw. Take the higher ground and let them stew.

19 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The thing is, as good as he could be, I'm struggling to envision a fit for CM Punk in the current wrestling scene. I can't think of an angle or a storyline that would be a satisfying return for him, rather than a Vince vs. Bret shambles. The appeal of him being the rebellious indie star making it to the top of WWE has been diminished by every other fucker having the same backstory as him now, Moxley's already doing the "former WWE star freed from their shackles", there are ex-UFC guys on the scene with far better records than Punk. Outside of the initial "holy shit he's back" interest, I can't picture a long-term role for him - it feels like wrestling has moved on.

Agree, that's what I was getting at before. The stuff that shot him to prominence in WWE doesn't work now. And he's done the straight edge stuff EVERYWHERE. It's maybe enough just to have him come in and be the "best in the world" and take on Omega, Cody, Moxley, etc. But it doesn't quite have the bite. That said, he's a smark, creative guy so I wouldn't mind finding out.

Punk could do it one of two ways. The guy who has something to prove or the obnoxious heel who plays up his 'UFC pedigree' I loved cowardly wanker Punk in WWE. Throw in the 'MMA fighter' gimmick where he plays up that he was better than he was and you've got a great top line heel.

Shouldn't be too difficult to bring back Punk if he does want to come back. Can do anything with the right angle.

I wouldn't mind seeing a storyline where you get a young heel they really want to push constantly taunting him on TV, like Miz did with Cena, calling him a coward, mocking his gear, his style, his promos, etc., saying he quit like a loser and so on. A shame Punk's fallen out with Colt, because then they could have the heel bring him out to beat the crap out of him (although, knowing Colt's ego, he probably wouldn't agree to it unless it was a cheap beatdown via cheapshots, weapons, superior numbers, or suchlike).

Then you have a spot where the heel goes too far - maybe gets his "girlfriend" to attack AJ who's guest-commentating or something (I know, that means having to put up with AJ for a show), and that's the last straw: Punk comes out of retirement, challenges him, and you have a ready-made feud match at a PPV.

58 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Did Punk and Jericho ever feud? They've both been calling themselves "The Best in the World" for years.

Yes. Off the top off my head the feud highlight was at extreme rules 2013 "Chiraq street fight ". Sure it wasn't LOD & Ahmed Jonson v nation of domination but worth checking out.

1 minute ago, I like root beer said:

Yes. Off the top off my head the feud highlight was at extreme rules 2013 "Chiraq street fight ". Sure it wasn't LOD & Ahmed Jonson v nation of domination but worth checking out.

Now it's called a Macron Street Fight