AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Is that altogether or in the US? Either way, it's an impressive number for a company with no TV presence. It is lower than the lowest WWE PPV's pre-network (114k was their low water mark in 2013) but way above TNA ever mamnaged (think 60,000 for Angle/Joe is still their record).

All together 2/3 being from the US.  

I think it’s a right result considering the amount of people that probably pirated the show too.  They’re beating current UFC numbers

All In did around 25,000 buys.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

To have achieved 50% more buys than the best effort for an established promotion (TNA), many years into their existence, has to be seen as a pretty damn good success right? Especially in an age where PPV is not as popular as it was 10 years ago.

Edited by PunkStep

I don't know what they were expecting/hoping for but I'd be pretty chuffed with near 100,000 buys for a first official show, that hasn't got TV yet.

especially since All In the I suppose, unofficial first show did a heck of a lot less.

• Paid Members

I reckon if they had a decent amount of time to build to a show once the tv starts they might be able to do a decent but rate, but there's also the danger that they go a bit too "insider" and put a lot of viewers of. Are any of those special charity shows they mentioned during double or nothing going to be on ppv as well, or were they just trying to imply that they have events for people to try and attend before the tv show starts?

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Not sure how this is even a debate. Yeah, meltzer's star reviews are bollocks and should be ignored. But to pigeon hole fans because they responded positively to the show is absolute horseshit.

I don't watch the indies. I don't watch New Japan. I don't read Meltzer. I don't watch Being the Elite. I thought this show was a breathe of fresh air.

What pigeon hole do I fit in?

Sorry, but I still believe if you pay Dave meltzer to listen to and read his opinions and go to the trouble of writing him an email on your feelings on a particular show, then youre going to be the type of person that likes the same thing he does. In general. 

Edited by Yakashi

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Sorry, but I still believe if you pay Dave meltzer to listen to and read his opinions and go to the trouble of writing him an email on your feelings on a particular show, then youre going to be the type of person that likes the same thing he does. In general. 

Well, fucking duh.

That's not what you said though. Not nearly.

• Paid Members

According to a quick Google search somebody on 4Chan reckons Double Or Nothing did 200k buys, but they didn't have their tits out while holding a notepad with the date and time on, so this can probably be ignored.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Well, fucking duh.

That's not what you said though. Not nearly.

It is though. In the context of what I was replying to. When the fella said he was shocked that people who pay Dave meltzer money for his opinions and write him emails about a show thought it was good. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

It is though. In the context of what I was replying to. When the fella said he was shocked that people who pay Dave meltzer money for his opinions and write him emails about a show thought it was good. 

It isn't. No-one would have argued with that, it's obvious. You said "the AEW and Meltzer audience are practically identical". On here alone, there are loads of people already proving that's nonsense. I've no idea how many people even read the Observer these days but I'd bet a pound to a pinch of shit that it's miniscule compared to the people who'd check out this show.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Eh, that's not exactly fair. I'm not the biggest fan of Meltzer's current reporting, and his match ratings for AEW will have to be taken with a grain of salt, but generally speaking if Melzter rates a match highly then it's probably worth checking out no matter what kind of wrestling you like.

So if he gives a Young Bucks flip-fest 5 stars and I hate that sort of thing, I should still watch it? What rating did he give their match on Double or Nothing?

18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yep, I'd like to see some sources on these figures, too. Please post some within 24 hrs or get suspended  @TildeGuy~! . Thanx

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/05/31/aew-double-or-nothing-pay-per-view-buy-numbers-are-in/

https://411mania.com/wrestling/aew-double-or-nothing-estimated-to-have-done-98000-buys/

http://nodq.com/news/561311173.shtml

Google

• Paid Members