The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Is there a proper movie or telly show wrestling has pinched from more than Mad Max? 

Hopefully they try some fresh things during this and it isn't all that expense just to badly recreate the feel of a random Raw in January. I'm on about Vince dressed like the baddy in Fury Road and Jeff Jarrett playing a flaming guitar from high above the corporate dance truck.

it'll end up like that fucking Finders Keepers PPV they did with people running about corporate, ie no cunt will remember it happening by the Tuesday after. The biggest positive of them going full ROLLERJAM is as always the possibility it'll be total shit and they'll look like cunts, but as it stands it mainly works and 99% of the time ends up a boring waste of time.

• Paid Members

They did a rehearsal of the Thunderdome tonight and, well...

This is it. Their final form. Peak overproduced, distracting-as-fuck WWE. Gives me a headache just looking at it!

56C076E9-C0AD-4278-8F41-6D34630B6F84.thumb.jpeg.bc972108dfeb35aa3eced97302f5c262.jpeg

904BD639-EC65-47BD-B2AE-77F36DCB179D.thumb.jpeg.f0f4e20a267d87a6cd9bb76e09a7f3f5.jpeg

As I understand it, the NBA tried to keep it subtle by only having the, “fans,” in certain sections of the arena and introducing a standardised background to not make it too distracting. Then Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn Vince McMahon’d and Kevin Dunn’d it. Maniacs.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Supremo said:

They did a rehearsal of the Thunderdome tonight and, well...

Reveal hidden contents

This is it. Their final form. Peak overproduced, distracting-as-fuck WWE. Gives me a headache just looking at it!

56C076E9-C0AD-4278-8F41-6D34630B6F84.thumb.jpeg.bc972108dfeb35aa3eced97302f5c262.jpeg

904BD639-EC65-47BD-B2AE-77F36DCB179D.thumb.jpeg.f0f4e20a267d87a6cd9bb76e09a7f3f5.jpeg

As I understand it, the NBA tried to keep it subtle by only having the, “fans,” in certain sections of the arena and introducing a standardised background to not make it too distracting. Then Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn Vince McMahon’d and Kevin Dunn’d it. Maniacs.

So are they hoping that these people yell and scream at their TV at home, as if they were actually in the arena? I can see that going down really well in households. Especially at 3am over here. I know I wouldn't be too pleased if I was in bed, and somebody else in the house was shouting at Randy Orton to tell him he's a cunt for not busting out three dives, eight head drops and seventeen thigh slaps. 

• Paid Members

It's fortunate that the shows are unwatchable due to content and production anyway because this would be another nail in the coffin.

I could feel sorry for them, if they weren't scumbags obv, because there is just nothing they can rush through to make any difference. 

They've tried everything long before this pandemic to try and recapture what they had. They've brought back everyone, time and again. They've pushed everyone the crowd have shown interest in. They've split the brands, merged them, split them, shared them, split them, had a wildcard rule, split them... They've flailed about for nigh on 15 years now.

Even recently they've tried this Underground shit. Bringing back Shane, because people used to like him, and trying something to appeal to the people who think their TV is too shiny and lacks spontaneity. Also trying to break up the 300 hours of telly on a Monday. Reacting to criticism, as usual, and failing because the direction makes it unwatchable, it's nothing to do with anything and Shane doesn't even have anything left to offer.

This week's Raw sounded like a crash TV experiment. But all over the place, lacking the characters and wrestlers who made that style good two decades ago, and out of nowhere so it just feels like another three week experiment. 

This is the latest attempt to make drastic change without making drastic change. Doing something quick, expensive and visual rather than actually changing all the things that do not work and don't connect. Still, some fuckwits will say "at least it's something different".

We know they're making money hand over fist and you can see why given their global reach, huge social interactions and mass production of TV. But they're clearly very worried. That shines through in the constant tinkering with every passing week and poor rating.

They've been worried since 2001. Hence the fact that they have brought back every star there has been, long past their best. But to their credit, they have constantly adapted and have grown revenues despite all traditional measures falling almost constantly for 19 years now. This is new ground though. Viewership has fallen drastically.

They're right to be terrified. That their "solutions" are so comicly bad should terrify everyone else.

Bless them. They did try. I'm sure they're hedging on this being a watershed moment in post pandemic entertainment presentation. 

The Thunderdome name really did make me think we were getting this - sure - but sort of more vertical and close to the ring. Like a weird dystopian brawl structure. The fact that it's just a very straightforward headache makes the name more hilarious, but obviously puts it right at home with a show that still uses AC/DC.