The Smackers Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't forget: the clocks changed last week so if you want to record Smackdown you probably need some professional help.

What a Mark. 

Rob Gronkowski's ring entrance in an empty arena was the most embarrassing and cringy thing I may have ever seen as a wrestling fan. And thats coming from somebody whose parents were in the room when

Posted Images

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Supremo said:

They did a rehearsal of the Thunderdome tonight and, well...

Reveal hidden contents

This is it. Their final form. Peak overproduced, distracting-as-fuck WWE. Gives me a headache just looking at it!

56C076E9-C0AD-4278-8F41-6D34630B6F84.thumb.jpeg.bc972108dfeb35aa3eced97302f5c262.jpeg

904BD639-EC65-47BD-B2AE-77F36DCB179D.thumb.jpeg.f0f4e20a267d87a6cd9bb76e09a7f3f5.jpeg

As I understand it, the NBA tried to keep it subtle by only having the, “fans,” in certain sections of the arena and introducing a standardised background to not make it too distracting. Then Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn Vince McMahon’d and Kevin Dunn’d it. Maniacs.

So are they hoping that these people yell and scream at their TV at home, as if they were actually in the arena? I can see that going down really well in households. Especially at 3am over here. I know I wouldn't be too pleased if I was in bed, and somebody else in the house was shouting at Randy Orton to tell him he's a cunt for not busting out three dives, eight head drops and seventeen thigh slaps. 

• Paid Members

It's fortunate that the shows are unwatchable due to content and production anyway because this would be another nail in the coffin.

I could feel sorry for them, if they weren't scumbags obv, because there is just nothing they can rush through to make any difference. 

They've tried everything long before this pandemic to try and recapture what they had. They've brought back everyone, time and again. They've pushed everyone the crowd have shown interest in. They've split the brands, merged them, split them, shared them, split them, had a wildcard rule, split them... They've flailed about for nigh on 15 years now.

Even recently they've tried this Underground shit. Bringing back Shane, because people used to like him, and trying something to appeal to the people who think their TV is too shiny and lacks spontaneity. Also trying to break up the 300 hours of telly on a Monday. Reacting to criticism, as usual, and failing because the direction makes it unwatchable, it's nothing to do with anything and Shane doesn't even have anything left to offer.

This week's Raw sounded like a crash TV experiment. But all over the place, lacking the characters and wrestlers who made that style good two decades ago, and out of nowhere so it just feels like another three week experiment. 

This is the latest attempt to make drastic change without making drastic change. Doing something quick, expensive and visual rather than actually changing all the things that do not work and don't connect. Still, some fuckwits will say "at least it's something different".

We know they're making money hand over fist and you can see why given their global reach, huge social interactions and mass production of TV. But they're clearly very worried. That shines through in the constant tinkering with every passing week and poor rating.

They've been worried since 2001. Hence the fact that they have brought back every star there has been, long past their best. But to their credit, they have constantly adapted and have grown revenues despite all traditional measures falling almost constantly for 19 years now. This is new ground though. Viewership has fallen drastically.

They're right to be terrified. That their "solutions" are so comicly bad should terrify everyone else.

Bless them. They did try. I'm sure they're hedging on this being a watershed moment in post pandemic entertainment presentation. 

The Thunderdome name really did make me think we were getting this - sure - but sort of more vertical and close to the ring. Like a weird dystopian brawl structure. The fact that it's just a very straightforward headache makes the name more hilarious, but obviously puts it right at home with a show that still uses AC/DC. 

• Paid Members

The second Thunderdome photo doesn't look too terrible, at an angle. The hard cam one gives me a headache looking at a still photo, never mind watching that in motion. Jesus.

Hopefully that's just them testing the tech, and there's some other additions they'll bring in, because that plus light shows, lasers, a cut every half-second, and Byron Saxton screaming is going to induce fucking seizures. 

It's like a monkey's paw wish, after all the years I've asked for them to refresh their production and do things differently, we get this and RAW Underground. I take it all back.

Guarantee you that on Monday there'll be someone claiming that they had their feed cut on ThunderDome because they wore an AEW T-shirt.

55 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Guarantee you that on Monday there'll be someone claiming that they had their feed cut on ThunderDome because they wore an AEW T-shirt.

They probably won't be lying. The terms and conditions for appearing on it seem to cover those bases quite comprehensively: 

https://www.pwmania.com/full-guidelines-for-wwe-thunderdome-attendance-revealed

5. You may not say or do anything during your participation in the WWE ThunderDome (whether or not you are appearing on the television broadcast at the time) that, in the sole discretion of WWE:

* constitutes a political statement or endorsement;
* is or could reasonably be considered offensive, obscene, discriminatory or distasteful, including, without limitation, making or appearing to make any obscene or lewd gestures, or saying or appearing to say any obscene or lewd words or statements (including, without limitation, cursing);
* is violent in any way;
* disparages or reflects adversely the WWE or any of its athletes, sponsors, or affiliates;
* promotes, infringes or violates the rights of any third-party; or
* promotes the brand of any third-party.

6. Your attire must be appropriate and must remain on at all times. We reserve the right to not allow you to participate (or to immediately terminate your participation) if you are not appropriately attired (as determined in our sole discretion). Your attire may not contain any immoral graphics, images or texts, any political statements, slogans, logos, images, texts, or graphics, or any logos, graphics or other commercial identification of third parties (other than the WWE, its athletes and sponsors). Officially licensed WWE clothing is preferred.

7. The environment and background you are in during the WWE ThunderDome must also be appropriate. It may not depict logos, graphics, images or other commercial identifications of non-WWE parties (including, without limitation, signs or product placements), any immoral graphics, images or texts, or any political statements, slogans, logos, images, texts, or graphics. We reserve the right to not allow you to participate (or to immediately terminate your participation) in the WWE ThunderDome if your environment or background are deemed to be inappropriate (as determined in our sole discretion) or if you alter the environment or background once you have entered the WWE ThunderDome to one that we deem to be inappropriate (also as determined in our sole discretion).

I mean shit, this is probably the dream homogenised crowd they've always dreamed off. Bet if this pandemic goes on and on they'll get away with charging for tickets and never look back. 

Batista Vs. Orton for WrestleMania 2021. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK
3 hours ago, WeeAl said:

So are they hoping that these people yell and scream at their TV at home, as if they were actually in the arena? I can see that going down really well in households. Especially at 3am over here. I know I wouldn't be too pleased if I was in bed, and somebody else in the house was shouting at Randy Orton to tell him he's a cunt for not busting out three dives, eight head drops and seventeen thigh slaps. 

I was thinking this. I mean fans don't make as much noise as they used to in the arenas anyway but expecting them to shout and chant in their own homes is a bit... weird.
I think the concept seemed like a good idea but looking at it there it's just bizarre. Wrestling needs a live crowd in the arena with the wrestlers.

Also why is there the same woman in all the front row ringside seats? Did she pay for all of them!?

47 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Also why is there the same woman in all the front row ringside seats? Did she pay for all of them!?

It’s just a rehearsal. I imagine they were just testing things out and that’s why she appeared in all of them. 

• Paid Members

This looks absolutely dreadful. I cannot wait to watch it tonight!

Have they confirmed if all shows will be filmed here, or just Smackdown/PPV's?

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

This looks absolutely dreadful. I cannot wait to watch it tonight!

Have they confirmed if all shows will be filmed here, or just Smackdown/PPV's?

I think it’s everything excluding NXT for the foreseeable future.

Surely people are going to abuse it? I fully expect Jimmy Saville at Summerslam. 

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I was thinking this. I mean fans don't make as much noise as they used to in the arenas anyway but expecting them to shout and chant in their own homes is a bit... weird.

Apparently we won't actually be able to hear the fans at home, just see them.

Any crowd noise we hear on TV will be artificial.

Not sure how I'm the first to mention... but fuck me, Black Mirror is getting way too close for comfort!

Fifteen Million Merits. Good episode when it's fictional, not so much in real life.