The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

The scoreboard above the ring looks distractingly low.

It looks like a great set up for a live 20 minute fireworks and laser show (like something you'd see at Disneyland), and I'm sure it'll result in some cracking entrances (until the novelty wears off) but fuck knows what it adds to a 2 hour televised wrestling show. 

Also can't help but think that they could use it to come up with far more interesting backdrops than a bunch of people looking at their laptops. 

12 minutes ago, Vamp said:

The scoreboard above the ring looks distractingly low.

It looks like a great set up for a live 20 minute fireworks and laser show (like something you'd see at Disneyland), and I'm sure it'll result in some cracking entrances (until the novelty wears off) but fuck knows what it adds to a 2 hour televised wrestling show. 

Also can't help but think that they could use it to come up with far more interesting backdrops than a bunch of people looking at their laptops. 

The computer game nerd in me would love to see giant stylised "KO" when Shinsuke Nakamura hits his finisher. Fun animations to coincide with finishers, tags, three counts could be fun. 

• Paid Members

Incredible to think about the amount of time, money and effort that must have gone into the Thunderdome, only for the novelty to wear off after one or two segments, leaving us with a show even more lifeless than when they were at the Performance Centre.

The trainees in masks wasn’t ideal but it was ten times the atmosphere of this, with hundreds of stoney-faced fans and shitty pumped-in crowd noise. They either need to bring the trainees back to provide some live reaction or allow the fans on-screen to make noise. As it is, the whole thing just felt really pointless.

The most interesting thing was them changing that Sonya/Mandy match stipulation. Loser leaves WWE? You wonder if one or both of them have decided to bin the whole thing off or take a long break after experiencing how bad things can be.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

That was very much my first thought, with regards to the Sonya/Mandy match, that this could be WWE's way of potentially allowing Sonya some time away to deal with everything that's happened, while also getting rid of the hair vs hair stipulation.

You've got to give credit to her though, coming in for work, and delivering one of the better promo and performances I've seen in a while. There's no way this week can be anything but horrifying for her, but massive, massive respect for still wanting to try and go out and entertain.

Modern wrestling just looks so much better in an arena, they definitely need to figure out how to get a reaction, fucking have your heels and faces surround the ring like this big e/sheamus match. 

I understand why they've changed mandy/sonya and I can't help but respect sonya for even showing up this week. She was definitely seeing that guys face when she slapped Dana. 

AJ/Hardy was exactly as good as you'd expect, but why now? If there's no room on summerslam there's a ppv a week later...... 

Gran metaliks spine.... R.I.P

Asuka is the best thing in wrestling right now and should tap out both Sasha and bayley and beat them both at payback for the tag belts..... 

Braun/Fiend needs to end Sunday, but it won't. 

I didn't mind it. The screens with people's faces wasn't great, but I did like the some of the graphical effects they were doing (even if the lasers were a little OTT at times, like, why does the Fiend have lasers?)

I reckon if you have some of the trainees at ringside as well as the screen it won't be so bad.

It's just a fucking shame it took a bloody pandemic to get pyro back on WWE tv!

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Incredible to think about the amount of time, money and effort that must have done into the Thunderdome, only for the novelty to wear off after one or two segments, leaving us with a show even more lifeless than when they were at the Performance Centre.

The trainees in masks wasn’t ideal but it was ten times the atmosphere of this, with hundreds of stoney-faced fans and shitty pumped-in crowd noise. They either need to bring the trainees back to provide some live reaction or allow the fans on-screen to make noise. As it is, the whole thing just felt really pointless.

The most interesting thing was them changing that Sonya/Mandy match stipulation. Loser leaves WWE? You wonder if one or both of them have decided to bin the whole thing off or take a long break after experiencing how bad things can be.

100% this.

Out of pure curiosity this is the first full show I have watched since the NXT In your house event.

It was just awful, visually it looked a bit better but the lack of atmosphere was horrible, why were the live crowd muted?

Someone tell me when there is some atmosphere to the show again please.

33 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Bayley, Aj Styles and Jeff Hardy had pyro in their entrances. As far as I am aware pyro has not been a staple of Raw or Smackdown for a very long time. Genuinely not sure I don't watch the show religiously.

I'm fairly certain they started using some Pyro again around the end of last year on Smackdown if not Raw as well once the new TV contracts kicked in.

I really enjoyed it. It can get pretty damn exhausting picking apart everything that WWE tries to do. Especially during a pandemic. Just have to accept that it's not going to be the show it should be and make the most of the good parts or stop watching I think. All credit to them for trying something like this and I don't think it was a terrible move. 

Is it  Microsoft Teams they're using? Is it similar to Zoom where one person can speak at a time? Maybe that's why they can't make sound.

I liked it, was brighter and had more life to it, agree putting a few nxt guys to make authentic sound would be a good add on.

Fans pretending to be asleep etc is gonna happen to get attention so we can expect more to come, its why we can't have anything nice.