The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I feel like a pattern is emerging where Goldberg’s going to come in to lose in a big match to a proper star on a Saudi show, then smash a loser a few weeks or months later to get his heat and aura back.

Drake Maverick needs to start slagging Goldberg off on Twitter ASAP.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Goldberg coming back every now & again might be great for us and those that like the nostalgia element of him, but they’re fucked once he (and Taker and HHH and anyone else) isn’t able to do it anymore

Then it will be Randy and Cena and Edge. Then it will be someone else. Before them it was Hogan and Piper and Slaughter. Nostalgia will always evolve.

18 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Then it will be Randy and Cena and Edge. Then it will be someone else. Before them it was Hogan and Piper and Slaughter. Nostalgia will always evolve.

This is a great point. What really took me aback was Edge's return at the Rumble- news of it leaked, so it wasn't the MASSIVE shock it was supposed to be, and Edge was never quite that Cena tier of superstar, but both at the Rumble and Raw, he got the loudest reactions anyone's gotten since... probably the angle where Daniel Bryan turned on the Wyatts. Had to be a bigger pop than anything Edge got in his entire career previously. The power of nostalgia.

I know, 9 years away, it was thought he could never come back... but dirtsheets falling over themselves to say "Edge has medical clearance!" took away that surprise factor, at least for me.

Goldberg vs The Fiend looks more exciting than anything set for Mania. It’s brilliant. It’s the sort of stupid, tone-deaf stunt booking that made HITC such a beautiful car crash to watch. How do you get out of this without doing at lest one of them massive harm? Me, I’d have Goldberg win and turn him heel. Roman vs Goldberg is the big match. And I think people will be willing to go along with booing Goldberg at this point. It’s fresh and it’s not like he’s endearing himself to the smarks right now. Beating the Fiend is the cherry on top. Plus Wyatt is no longer hot enough to be the main event of Mania. Put him in with Taker or something, he’s fine without the belt. The problem is Roman, who’s been spinning his wheels, made to feel ordinary and has zero momentum heading into a big match. That’s why I think heel Goldberg would work better. Him just smashing the old shit-head in a promo segment could do everything to set it off.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

2 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Goldberg win and turn him heel.

No, just... no.  It is SO hard for the WWE to produce actual faces that people want to cheer, why would they throw away their (arguably) biggest one?

I also have no interest in Goldberg v Reigns, but then I have no interest in Reigns apart from maybe a match against The Rock.

19 minutes ago, Loki said:

No, just... no.  It is SO hard for the WWE to produce actual faces that people want to cheer, why would they throw away their (arguably) biggest one?

Fair enough, I get that. Realistically though, how much time does Goldberg have left? I honestly don’t know how his body’s doing. If he’s not arsed about being part of future Manias I’d be willing to do it. I might be wrong but he seems happy just doing Saudi freak show matches these days. Doubt the Arabs would give a fuck he turned heel to lose to Roman.

1 hour ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Fair enough, I get that. Realistically though, how much time does Goldberg have left? I honestly don’t know how his body’s doing. If he’s not arsed about being part of future Manias I’d be willing to do it. I might be wrong but he seems happy just doing Saudi freak show matches these days. Doubt the Arabs would give a fuck he turned heel to lose to Roman.

Considering his last match was at Summerslam and he didn't appear at Crown Jewel I'd say he is not content to just do the 2 Saudi shows a year.

Can you even turn somehow heel vs Roman? The boos aren't as bad as what they used to be but still think Goldberg would get the cheers over Roman unless he did something like mock his cancer which isn't (nor should it) happening

Edited by MVP RULZ

15 hours ago, kickin it wit the kliq said:

is there enough time between now and Mania to put together a John Cens vs Triple H match, both parttimers, doesn't hurt anybody whoever's wins and will be a really solid match

didn't they do it in Saudi a couple of years ago? it wasn't great.

• Paid Members

It was a great match, particularly for that show - it was as basic as wrestling gets, but by two people who can do basic extremely well. The entire match was basically an exercise in teaching the audience how a wrestling match works, and that was fascinating to see from the people involved.

I'm honestly starting to think that we might get a Wrestlemania without self-indulgent Triple H and Shane McMahon matches, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by BomberPat

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'm honestly starting to think that we might get a Wrestlemania without self-indulgent Triple H and Shane McMahon matches, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I am very confident there won't be a Shane McMahon match, but I'm still expecting Triple H will be. Seth Rollins and crew need a WrestleMania match, and I can't see another round with Owens, Joe and the Vikings being it. I was expecting Rey Mysterio and Cain Velasquez to be added to the team against them, Rey seems fairly locked with the Mexican upstarts though. So I'm hoping for Owens and three legends being the opposition for the Messiah lot.