The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

The boos for Goldberg, whilst predictable were hilarious! I watched it life so I wonder if they will edit for the replays. But they were loud. 

I thought Cena’s speech was done well, even though you thought it would be a swerve. The camera filming Cena when the lights came back on was perfect. You couldn’t see the Fiend and the reveal was done really well.

The problem then was that completely ruined Cena’s whole spiel of doing the right thing and not having a match at mania to let the new blood and consistent wrestlers get their place on the card, by then agreeing to a match. Therefore taking someone’s spot on the card.

Smackdown sucks

Jesus can't they do a match reveal that's more organic. I rewatched the Rock/Hogan WM18 promo recently and it was electric:

"why don't you headline one more wrestlemania... With THE ROCK!" (cue the crowd going apeshit) 

So brilliant. Yet now it's all sign pointing as though it means something. These guys really can't promo to save their lives it seems. Wyatt could if given the chance but I fear the days of fresh, exciting feuds w promos are long gone. 

42 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

So are Bryan and Drew Gulack having a grapplefuck on the Mania pre- show? Beats Corbin I guess.

Roman's stuffed, always was and will be. Oh well. At least him vs Goldberg will get a passionate Wrestlemania 34 type response instead of closing the show to dead silence.

Not sure what response they are going for though. People are pissed at goldberg and WM is always a smarky crowd. Reigns is Reigns. 

• Paid Members

I know Meltzer gets a lot of flack for the plans change~! thing, but this was one of those shows where it’s patently obvious plans had changed. The whole show felt like it’d been re-written on the back of a fag packet on the flight back from Saudi Arabia.

The Cena segment was the worst because the majority of it was actually really decent, but then you could see at exactly what point someone panicked and just scribbled down the first thing that came to mind.

All the stuff about Cena not wanting to steal the spotlight and become one of those part-time legends was fantastic. Motivation that’s actually consistent with his character, calling back to the promos he used to cut on The Rock. It seemed perfectly set-up for someone to violently attack him and force him to go against his long-standing beliefs and values. But then Bruce Pritchard was on a deadline so he just had Bray Wyatt point at a sign.

Bray Wyatt, of all people! Is there another character in that company that’s less suited to point at the fucking sign? He’s a split-personality psychopath! He either plays elaborate mind games with his opponent as the Kids TV presenter or just flat-out murks them as the killer clown. And he’s out there pointing at the sign like an absolute knobhead. And then Cena, having held these anti-part-timer beliefs for nearly a decade, just goes, “yeah, go on then, mate.” Unbelievably bad. 

Reigns & Goldberg are definitely getting the "you both suck" treatment at Mania, but as said it's better than Roman doing 11 spears on the Fiend to zero reaction.

The ending segment was really well done until Cena changed his mind and agreed to the match within seconds of the challenge.

Surely we could have had a few weeks of Bray trying to goad Cena into the match.

I watched it and all I could think was ‘Boy, Vince really wants Roman Reigns to main event Wrestlemania.

I remember a few weeks ago there were reports that Vince was initially lobbying for Reigns vs The Fiend to close out the show over Lesnar vs McIntyre before going with the latter.

I imagine this will come up in reports all over again unless 1) it’s generally accepted that Reigns/Goldberg is the ‘proper’ attraction of the 2 matches, and 2) the rest of the show will be relied on for the ‘workrate’ and they go and smash each other for 5-7 minutes.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

I know Meltzer gets a lot of flack for the plans change~! thing, but this was one of those shows where it’s patently obvious plans had changed. The whole show felt like it’d been re-written on the back of a fag packet on the flight back from Saudi Arabia.

The Cena segment was the worst because the majority of it was actually really decent, but then you could see at exactly what point someone panicked and just scribbled down the first thing that came to mind.

All the stuff about Cena not wanting to steal the spotlight and become one of those part-time legends was fantastic. Motivation that’s actually consistent with his character, calling back to the promos he used to cut on The Rock. It seemed perfectly set-up for someone to violently attack him and force him to go against his long-standing beliefs and values. But then Bruce Pritchard was on a deadline so he just had Bray Wyatt point at a sign.

Bray Wyatt, of all people! Is there another character in that company that’s less suited to point at the fucking sign? He’s a split-personality psychopath! He either plays elaborate mind games with his opponent as the Kids TV presenter or just flat-out murks them as the killer clown. And he’s out there pointing at the sign like an absolute knobhead. And then Cena, having held these anti-part-timer beliefs for nearly a decade, just goes, “yeah, go on then, mate.” Unbelievably bad. 

Wyatt should have brutalised him whilst he cut the promo. Tried to end his career etc. Properly hammered home that he is an evil prick. 

6 hours ago, Supremo said:

And then Cena, having held these anti-part-timer beliefs for nearly a decade, just goes, “yeah, go on then, mate.”

Because he felt bad for the guy who got BERRIED by a part-timer the day before and decided to give him the rub of a Mania win over Big Match John. It checks out.

So after all the Backlash, after all the "I'm never watching again", after all the "this is the Final straw"  after all the "watch the ratings tumble"

Smackdown delivers it's best rating of 2020 and looking like being its 3rd best since the move to Fox

Goldberg = Ratings 

Of course the return of Cena helped (though Ratings did drop slightly for the 2nd hour when Cena was due up) but clearly people will still watch regardless of all the hot air that gets spewed after every PPV

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

So after all the Backlash, after all the "I'm never watching again", after all the "this is the Final straw"  after all the "watch the ratings tumble"

Smackdown delivers it's best rating of 2020 and looking like being its 3rd best since the move to Fox

Goldberg = Ratings 

Of course the return of Cena helped (though Ratings did drop slightly for the 2nd hour when Cena was due up) but clearly people will still watch regardless of all the hot air that gets spewed after every PPV

That was always going to be the case. Curiosity views on the back of two of the biggest stars of all time being promised. 

This is traditionally their best few months for ratings every year too. The trick is trying to come off Mania with momentum to draw through the summer. Vince obviously thinks crowning Reigns again is the way.

52 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

Goldberg = Ratings 

Well the people who have the tantrums aren’t the ones who stop watching anyway. Being upset at Vince is their outlet, it’s how they blow off steam at the end of a rough week. They couldn’t ever let go of that.

The ones who stop watching don’t care enough to cry about wrestling on the Internet.