The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

He's a product of a totally different era and process. Listen to him on the podcast with Austin and he was clearly a driven athlete who knew the WCW stars from training in Georgia but he didn't regard 'the business' with any reverence. He got recommended, then trained his ass off, then got put on TV with journeymen and got directed hard by the higher ups with what he was and wasn't supposed to do. Watch those first few matches before the Streak was a thing, and you can see it even then, he carries himself like a take-no-prisoners ass kicker. It could be the real sports background, or coming up among politically-minded vets focused on making money, or maybe he genuinely had/has something you can't teach. But yeah, the man has it.

• Paid Members

I swear half of it is down to Goldberg not really giving a fuck about pro-wrestling.

Practically everyone on the current roster grew up a fan, was almost certainly an Observer subscriber, and is just happy to be there. As such, just being featured on Raw or Smackdown is the greatest moment of their life and they're willing to do whatever is asked of them. Whether it's dropping themselves on their head a thousand times or delivering shitty dialogue that makes them sound possessed by aliens, it's an instant, "OK, boss," no matter what. By contrast, Goldberg is a man who knows his worth, knows how little he needs to do to have a great match, knows how shit these promos read and isn't going to allow himself to look a prick. There's a lot to be said for Goldberg turning around with a smile and Spearing The Fiend on first encounter, whilst Seth Rollins literally sat in the corner screaming in fear. Get some self-respect and tell them this isn't going to work for you, brother!

I know it goes against Real Fan~! mentality but they need to hire more big, athletic guys that have never seen a pro-wrestling match in their life. They're the stars of the future.

EDIT: Meltz is reporting that the planned Wyatt vs. Roman match for Wrestlemania has changed! Could it be?!

D0DB0B6E-6F5E-4CA1-B832-E8AAC279178B.gif.c47425bd0af6f2eb92f59e7fa9ec1fee.gif

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
On 2/22/2020 at 7:15 PM, Snitsky's back acne said:

Poor Luna. Overlooked in the HoF ballot again.... 

She went in last year, Legacy wing. 

On 2/22/2020 at 3:42 PM, Supremo said:

Poor Nakamura. Moved to the States to doss off and surf and they end up throwing him into a fucking piano, smashing the back of his head in. That looked ridiculously dangerous. I’m flabbergasted no-one thought to gimmick the piano.

Such a stupid, stupid spot, for a match that no one will remember this time next week. There are arguments to be made for the NJPW style being worse for your body than WWE's, but they'd never have him crack his head on a piano. 

• Paid Members
On 2/22/2020 at 9:44 PM, Supremo said:

I swear half of it is down to Goldberg not really giving a fuck about pro-wrestling.

Practically everyone on the current roster grew up a fan, was almost certainly an Observer subscriber, and is just happy to be there. 

to quote the great Vince Russo, "...the marks have made it to the ring".

• Paid Members

I reckon Smackers might be the worst written show on mainstream television. More thought goes into those Nigerian shows that are filmed with one camera in someone's back bedroom.

At this point, they've got the marquee in their mind, "everybody knows" on the internet so, fuck it, just point at some signs.

Lazy and predictable. 

I'm sick of the pointing at the sign to make a match. It was novel and memorable when it first started but now it's boring. Give me a decent feud and storyline to build to a climax at mania over the dull sign point.

Smack down really is the pits... Doesn't mean I will stop watching though.

Although I only watched in clip form so I don’t really have a full point of reference to go on, I did like Roman’s “I’m next” line. Simple and clear. 

Of course, it was utterly spoilt by the commentator shouting HERE COMES THE BIG DOG all over him and immediately ruining the moment following Big Bill and Roman’s confrontation with their “ Can you imagine if this were to happen“ fake hype bullshit.