The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

Also it's a small thing, but kind of irritates me that the two GMs earlier in the year worked so hard to try and sign Brekker from underneath each other, when all they had to do was wait for the draft and nab him.

But yeah the picks were fairly uninspired. Jay Uso the top Raw draft pick? Get fucked. 

59 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Also it's a small thing, but kind of irritates me that the two GMs earlier in the year worked so hard to try and sign Brekker from underneath each other, when all they had to do was wait for the draft and nab him.

I don’t think it’s small at all, I’m totally with you on that. Breakker wasn’t on Smackdown long enough to get himself involved in a storyline - it’s a really bizarre way to book him. And while I understand the message they were trying to send by drafting Hayes so early, they partly undid that by having him lose to Cody on night one. It was a night of strange decisions.

And if NXT wrestlers are eligible, why would you draft Kiana James over a higher achiever? Zero logic.

Edited by RedRooster

15 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I don’t think it’s small at all, I’m totally with you on that. Breakker wasn’t on Smackdown long enough to get himself involved in a storyline - it’s a really bizarre way to book him. And while I understand the message they were trying to send by drafting Hayes so early, they partly undid that by having him lose to Cody on night one. It was a night of strange decisions.

And if NXT wrestlers are eligible, why would you draft Kiana James over a higher achiever? Zero logic.

Which sort of comes to one of my stranger issues with the draft, why on earth are they sending out legends as proxies to make the picks?

They pretty much all just did the bare minimum, and never gave any impression they knew or cared why picks were being made.

Have Aldis out there waxing lyrical about how Carmelo Hayes has a blend of athleticism and charisma that will make him a hit in the ring and on the balance sheet for Smackdown; Have Adam Pearce talking up how he was gutted to miss out on Bron Breakker originally, but he never looks a gift horse in the mouth and is delighted to get a second chance at signing someone he considers to be a future Wrestlemania main eventer.

If Champion's are protected, but No 1 contenders aren't, tell us why Raw are desperate to lock down Jey Uso but Smackdown are more sanguine about AJ Styles.

Just give it a bit of purpose.

Instead it was handled like a straight-to-youtube edition of the Slammy's with no one really caring or selling it at all.

• Paid Members

I've never given the slightest shit about the draft but it was very funny reading the results on Bleacher Report this morning and seeing almost everyone announced as staying where they are.

• Paid Members

We don't really do the whole draft thing over here as that's not really how our sports work. The thing about a draft though is that it brings in new blood to the sport. The WWE draft has less new blood than a vegan black pudding. If they want to re-order the roster then find a way of doing it that is more creative. The whole draft thing in WWE is a callback to Vince's obsession with real sports anyway. If H³ wants to be booker of the year again this year he should have come up with something new. It is possible and could have been much more exciting. 

31 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

If H³ wants to be booker of the year again this year he should have come up with something new. It is possible and could have been much more exciting. 

When AEW was contemplating a roster split, they trademarked the term ‘transfer portal’ (website: Fightful) which suggests to me a transfer window style approach, Khan taking inspiration from football, much as he did for aspects of the Continental Classic. I think that’s a good idea, and WWE should take that approach. You could extend it over weeks, as the GMs look to sign the hottest stars from NXT, and negotiate to sign talent from one another. And there would at least be logic to it.

And talking of logic - another daft one from the draft is Sheamus. When he got injured, he was a Smackdown wrestler. They had him return the week before the draft on Raw, then drafted him to Raw. Why not have him either return to Smackdown, and play up Raw poaching him, or just wait until today for his return? I don’t understand their thinking at all.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

When AEW was contemplating a roster split, they trademarked the term ‘transfer portal’ (website: Fightful) which suggests to me a transfer window style approach, Khan taking inspiration from football, much as he did for aspects of the Continental Classic. 

The term transfer portal is lifted from college sports - it's literally an online portal into which student athletes who wish to transfer to a new school enter their details, allowing other schools to contact them free of penalty. 

• Paid Members

Probably the worst episode of Smackdown this year.

Dreadful draft. Real eat-your-slop stuff. A throwback to the final few years of the Vince Era, where they’d just waste time with stuff that insulted you for even watching. Like they’d been forced to do a Draft but didn’t want to actually switch anyone. Who was the biggest name that switched from one brand to the other? Fucking Nia Jax? Dog shit.

Rubbish use of the, “Legends,” too. Another throwback to them uselessly popping up for no reason whatsoever. Surprised we didn’t get a Ron Simmons cameo, “hilariously,” saying, “Damn!” I won’t begrudge these old timers making a quick buck though. I’m utterly convinced this whole, “Legends contract,” thing is a ticking time bomb anyway. Endeavor quickly put a stop to something similar when they bought UFC - sacking guys who were promised a job for life like Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes. It’s only a matter of time before someone finds out the amount of money these retired guys are making to sit at home and slag off AEW on Twitter before they decide to pull the plug. A fat idiot like Bubba Ray is making how much?!

Is Chris Hero employed full-time with AEW? If not, they should have flew him in for a cameo during that security footage angle with Carlito. Had him run into shot at the end, nearly crying.

Whole storyline doesn’t make much sense though. Why didn’t Dragon Lee immediately tell everyone it was Carlito who attacked him? He didn’t appear to be immediately knocked out or anything. It was a prolonged attack, where it would have been clear to him who it was! Did he just not want to say anything out of awkwardness?

On the plus side, this Bloodline stuff continues to be the best thing Tama Tonga has ever done. Really enjoyable bit of violence. Assuming they add the tag match with Randy Orton to Backlash, instantly becoming the most interesting match on the card.

Jade and Bianca are going to look the business with the belts. Most telegenic human beings alive.

For a company making billions, where you assume they have professional photographers at every single TV taping and live event, why do they insist on getting someone’s dodgy cousin in to photoshop Title belts onto these graphics. Look at the state of this. Genuinely think I could do better in MS Paint!

IMG_8153.jpeg.4c75a4086fbaf5f4729de1a23d8c93b0.jpeg

The Bayley thing has been such a failure, with them not even bothering to bring back the old music, that I’d draw a line under it and just put the belt on Tiffany Stratton at Backlash. Cut your losses.

Hunter appearing onscreen again. It’s becoming a parody at this point. Convinced he’s trying to enjoy himself as much as possible before he suddenly sells all his stock for reasons that will eventually become clear in a court room. So long, Nick Khan.

Cody and Camelo was good enough until they botched the finish. You can’t convince me that the idea wasn’t for Cody to catch him with the Cutter in mid-air as a big crescendo for the pin. There’s no other explanation that makes sense. God bless the people trying to pretend that what we saw was intended, though. “Yeah, we’ll simultaneously hit a Springboard, bouncing back with a Flying Nothing, each crashing to the mat like a sack of shit, making us both look dumb, ideally with Cody nearly breaking his shoulder. Then we’ll both look panicked as fuck as we rush to the finish immediately.” Really struggle to imagine an agent agreeing to that, especially with their Golden Goose. You hope Cody is OK. It was bad enough when they had to scramble for stars once Rhea was injured. Cody getting hurt would be even worse!

Big reward for those who pay attention to the little things though. Cheeky packet of crisps in the background of the shot! HOOK tease confirmed! Eyes peeled for a QR Code on a packet of Wotsits in the upcoming weeks!

IMG_8136.jpeg.ecf07aba2d1d73fb168517d54e2b6a50.jpeg

• Paid Members

Getting picks to keep people is the biggest waste of time imaginable. Either the “lottery” format, alternating steals they chose, or the wrestlers having to win matches to earn steals for their show are all routes they’ve used before. wall devil GIF by South Park