The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

24 minutes ago, Loki said:

Nice Strictly Business reference from Barrett.

On that note, I’m amazed that we’re approaching May, and Kamille hasn’t showed up anywhere.

24 minutes ago, Loki said:

WWE seem really happy with Aldis as GM but there’s still a bit of me that wants to see both him and Barrett back in the ring even for a cameo.

I do wonder if that’ll eventually happen with Aldis. He’d be a great addition to an active roster that probably does need freshened up slightly. 

Edited by RedRooster

10 minutes ago, RoryT said:

What is the kayfabe story behind Magnus as GM?

Nothing. Not that I can remember. Just that he was a well esteemed wrestler outside of WWE. I mean, Flair had a cup of coffee in WWE, And he became "GM" in 2001, purely for how legendary he was. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TheScarlettChad said:

I mean, Flair had a cup of coffee in WWE, And he became "GM" in 2001, purely for how legendary he was. 

That’s nothing like the story they told. Shane and Stephanie sold their WWF stock during the Invasion/Alliance storyline to a “consortium” that turned out to actually be Ric. So he bought his way into part ownership as opposed to having any position bestowed upon him.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

That’s nothing like the story they told. Shane and Stephanie sold their WWF stock during the Invasion/Alliance storyline to a “consortium” that turned out to actually be Ric. So he bought his way into part ownership as opposed to having any position bestowed upon him.

My bad! 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 2:39 PM, JLM said:

Good to see Jade Cargill is booked for a house show this weekend. Hope she gets to do a lot of these. If she can get to the point where she can work a solid ten minute match consistently I don’t think she needs much more. 

Imported from the Raw thread because it was a SmackDown show, but I happened upon the results just now while looking for something else. For those that keep an eye on what happens on the road (like I do) there's a lot of repetition from what was going on before/at Mania including rematches of Bayley vs Io and Jade/Naomi/Bianca beating the other three.

And you can see it here ;

What went on last, you may be wondering....? LA Knight vs Solo. The main event push for both may be very much on, YEAH.

Edited by air_raid

Well, that was totally pointless. Why hold a draft, if your ultimate objective is to keep the rosters largely the same? Even if Raw provides more surprises, why make it a two night draft, and why do it in this format? Have each show make trades or something instead, so that every roster switch is fresh. Booking Hayes to immediately lose to Cody in under 10-minutes after being a first round pick was also an odd decision.

Edited by RedRooster

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Well, that was totally pointless. Why hold a draft, if your ultimate objective is to keep the rosters largely the same? Even if Raw provides more surprises, why make it a two night draft, and why do it in this format? Have each show make trades or something instead, so that every roster switch is fresh. Booking Hayes to immediately lose to Cody in under 10-minutes after being a first round pick was also an odd decision.

Yeah, absolute shite.

Mad how they picked LA Knight and the Bloodline in round 3, and then Corey pointed out how shit being picked in round 3 was.

Complete waste of time.

Yeah most of that was oddly pointless. I guess it just gets people talking and a way to hype the shows and some additional content even if they're not planning any major shakeups. But on the whole a waste of time.

I didn't mind the Melo thing though. You make him look like a big deal and one to watch. He looked really good against Cody. The loss won't hurt him in the slightest. Looking forward to his main roster run.

AJ Styles is great. The fact that people used to say he'd never go to WWE, or that he'd never got on there if he did, or that he'd have to go to NXT for a bit, and we've ended up with him being one of their most trusted, loyal hands is fascinating to me. What a run.

Cody's eyes looked absolutely shattered in the opening promo. Black bags and lines like Gordon Ramsay's forehead under both his eyes. He needs to do less kissing babies or officiating weddings or whatever it is he does, and just go to sleep.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Cody's eyes looked absolutely shattered in the opening promo. Black bags and lines like Gordon Ramsay's forehead under both his eyes. He needs to do less kissing babies or officiating weddings or whatever it is he does, and just go to sleep.

I thought the same thing! HD cameras don't do anyone any favours, but it looks like being the WWE Champion ages you faster than being the Man United manager.

It wasn't a bad episode of SmackDown, aside from the daft Draft segments. I thought it was strange that at the opening of the show, Triple H made a point of saying that it was as much about GMs protecting their assets as it was about adding to their rosters, but it made sense when what followed was a totally underwhelming and pointless 'draft' whereby the majority of picks were for wrestlers to stay on the same show they were already on. Don't know why they thought it would make for decent TV that way.

The Draft has always been shit and nearly always played out illogically, so it's not like people actually look forward to any of it, is it?

I'm all for giving Bron Breakker the Goldberg treatment, but wish they would allow him to showcase more power moves in these squashes. I don't feel he's really winning the crowds over with these instant kills.

Solid debut for Carmelo, he instantly looks a credible threat on the main roster following a decent live promo and a back and forth match with the Champ. They presented him as a real coup for SmackDown, so it was probably the only part of the whole draft that was done well.

Edited by Arch Stanton

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

AJ Styles is great. The fact that people used to say he'd never go to WWE, or that he'd never got on there if he did, or that he'd have to go to NXT for a bit, and we've ended up with him being one of their most trusted, loyal hands is fascinating to me. What a run.

I’ll never forget one of the TNA articles in PS where Fin said “The best he could hope for in WWE would be a feud with Rey Mysterio, which he would lose.” That was in about 2004, mind.

I'm not sure he'd have had half the success if he was signed before the NJPW run where he leveled everything up, from in the ring to character work to 11. Not that he wasn't excellent before that but it was the Japan stuff that likely had them thinking "this is a main event star!".