The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Endeavor quickly put a stop to something similar when they bought UFC - sacking guys who were promised a job for life like Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes. It’s only a matter of time before someone finds out the amount of money these retired guys are making to sit at home and slag off AEW on Twitter before they decide to pull the plug. A fat idiot like Bubba Ray is making how much?!

Believe most of them are about merchandise rights etc. that save WWE money rather than about paying a wrestler regularly for being a legend. They have dead people on legends contracts through their family so it’s definitely something that’s a money saver for them rather than “job for the boys” stuff.

Wrestling can be stupid as long as it’s fun. That draft was just stupid. Why didn’t anyone pick Roman or Punk? Was that explained? The draft aspect should just be NXT guys getting call ups and the rest should be trades. I prefer the idea of a transfer window though. Give me Brutus Magnus hanging out his car window on deadline day talking about how he’s happy with the business done but if Bubba Ray spots any gaps in the market they’ll do business whilst Pat Mcafee bangs a gong and jizzes all over the announcers desk every time a jobber moves brands in a short term loan. Bonus points if a whacky member of the WWE Universe sneaks one of those wrestling dildos in to shot.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Wrestling can be stupid as long as it’s fun. That draft was just stupid. Why didn’t anyone pick Roman or Punk? Was that explained? 

Multiple times, to be fair.

There was a draft pool of eligible picks for Friday's draft, and Heyman did a whole segment withdrawing Roman from the draft.

You're never going to have a "draft" that isnt intellectually compromised as a viable mechanism for moving wrestlers around different shows in the same company. I'm not adverse to a superficial veneer of realism, but if they're going to make a spectacle of it, the primary aim should be creating good television. This was a big, wet shit of a programme and if I'd paid money to be in that arena id be livid. As others have said it's like they were reluctantly committed to doing it and were determined to get through it while making as few meaningful changes as possible. That in itself is bewildering, as it's not like the respective rosters wouldn't benefit from a shake up. The best I can hope for is that they don't move McIntyre to Smackdown as that would see my Clash in the Castle fever dream disappear down the U-Bend along with Fridays show. 

I'm never comfortable picking apart someone's appearance (I'm very comfortable) but that contract signing looked like a hostage exchange. Cody can look like a million dollars one week, and look sick as a pig the next, but more makeup than Barbara Cartland couldn't hide the fact that he looked washed up and weary. You'd think with that many miles on the clock he'd know what he can do and what he can't, but perhaps AJ was on to something when he talked about the weight of the title. Hopefully he'll be back with that shit eating grin on Monday. 

The jury is out on Carmelo Hayes for me. He's just too smooth and polished. His movement, his mannerisms, he's one of these guys thatll give you the same level of energy in an empty arena as he would in a packed stadium. You never want to get the sense that if you've seen it once you've seen it all, and whilst he's certainly from that "superstar" mold you want a few carefully integrated rough edges in your routine. Yes, I'm complaining because he's too slick. 

Also, the Dudleys put their glasses on.

7 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Does the draft actually still pop a rating? 

If it does that’ll be the last time. Only way back from this is to bring back Bischoffs wheel of fortune on the next Raw.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

If it does that’ll be the last time. Only way back from this is to bring back Bischoffs wheel of fortune on the next Raw.

That should be saved for fall. If they’ve exhumed “Halloween Havoc” then “Spin The Wheel Make The Deal” is the way, not Raw Roulette. Coal Miners Glove matches all the way.

If they are the responsive, agile operation they've been presenting themselves as in recent months it'll be plain as day to them that it didn't work. Whilst taking a different approach on Raw might be like getting the eggs out of a cake, you have to imagine that even high farce would be preferable to a 3 hour version of that. If it was my call I'd let the whole thing descend into chaos and find a way to assign people amidst the carnage. 

I think the final test of Punk's damascene like conversion to a life of good humour and good grace would be him being a fourth round draft pick on Monday, after schlubs like Nakamura.

As it is, I suspect he'll be picked ahead of Drew and it'll make DM Hunk sad.

33 minutes ago, air_raid said:

That should be saved for fall. If they’ve exhumed “Halloween Havoc” then “Spin The Wheel Make The Deal” is the way, not Raw Roulette. Coal Miners Glove matches all the way.

Haven’t they been doing that in NXT for the last few years anyway? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Callum1993 said:

Haven’t they been doing that in NXT for the last few years anyway? 

Have they? Well, good. Get it on the main roster. Get Sting involved too, really piss off some people.

• Paid Members

Unbelievable crowd. Made me a thousand times more excited for tomorrow's show. North American pro-wrestling fans should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

Couldn't agree more. For a show that was fairly bog standard, so many people felt like absolute stars because of that crowd. LA Knight cooling off? Absolutely not. Bayley with her odd new shit music? We love her! Randy Orton? He's got voices in his head!

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Unbelievable crowd. Made me a thousand times more excited for tomorrow's show. North American pro-wrestling fans should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

Saw two clips on twitter. One of Naomi clapping during her match and the crowd were as loud as a John Cena pop. Really loud. Than I saw one of Karion Kross and crew (Krew?) coming out to absolute silence. God bless the French.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Jey Uso entrance for his dark match. My God. All-timer crowd.

Damien Priest must be shitting himself. I’d call an audible. 

Edited by Supremo