The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Cody has a tendency to drop in references that whistle past people's head.

I just thought it was a cool line. Just because someone else (fair play his missus) used it before doesn't invalidate its use IMO. 

People (not you Daz) are so quick to think of things as "throwbacks" or "callbacks" or "Easter eggs" when sometimes it's just a decent line to use innit?

People have borrowed from promos since forever. Unless he then turned around and went "hey, Brandi said that once, neat huh?" which to be honest, as it's Cody, he might have done :)

Full disclosure, haven't seen the episode.

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

The casting out of Jimmy also surely points towards an eventual Usos reconciliation and long game, Roman & Usos vs Bloodline black n white.

Jacob Fatu is nicknamed the Samoan Werewolf, I think. If he does come in on the side of Solo and Tama, they'd be mad not to be the Samoan Wolfpac.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I know there’s a difference between real age and WWE TV age, but it’s still funny Tama Tonga is considered the younger generation when he’s three years older than Roman Reigns. Also, I don’t really want to spoil anything for anyone, but Tama Tonga is rubbish. Do not get your hopes up.

Plus, no video package for him, so obviously the worst thing ever. How are we supposed to know who he is?!

I honestly don't know much about Tama Tonga (other than what Michael Cole said). I never knew he was older than Roman? Wow.

Okay, well maybe not younger but the ''new generation" then (Oh God, Mabel and Nikolai Volkoff flashbacks).

I'm more interested in Jacob Fatu showing up (if he is). Mean looking guy, seems crazy agile. Reminds me of Umaga from the little I've seen of him.

12 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

His justification was that loses have consequences. He’s had 24 matches in 2024. Drawn 1, lost 23.

People (in real life) can be hypocrites, and view the source of the problem as being those around them as opposed to themselves. Someone can point out Solo’s track record, and then he can prove his own point by winning matches. It doesn’t necessarily mean (in storyline) that he was right; but it allows him to prove the point in his own head. 

9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The casting out of Jimmy also surely points towards an eventual Usos reconciliation and long game, Roman & Usos vs Bloodline black n white.

Again, I might be totally alone on this, but the prospect of Roman and Jimmy facing off against Solo, Tama and Jacob only for Jey to come to the rescue gives me goosebumps. Then the prospect of Rock revealing he was behind it all? That’s a year of programming I’m definitely into. Heck,  they could even do a 4 vs 4 match where Rock wrestles, and Sami returns to aid Roman. 

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

His justification was that loses have consequences. He’s had 24 matches in 2024. Drawn 1, lost 23.

Do we include house shows in everyone’s win/loss record now? Granted he’s not won much on TV since Cena but the way people exaggerate the impact by including house shows is a bit silly. He’s had 5 TV matches this year of which 1 has ended in a no contest, 2 have ended in DQ’s and 1 was a handicap match where his team were outnumbered. On TV, his only loss he’s actually ate a pin in 2024 was to Randy Orton.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, FUM said:

Do we include house shows in everyone’s win/loss record now? Granted he’s not won much on TV since Cena but the way people exaggerate the impact by including house shows is a bit silly.

Hear Cody Rhodes GIF by Andre Arkade
Someone dissing house shows? We can’t be friends.

It’s easy to slant Solos record to suit either argument. “Only Randy Orton has pinned him on TV in 2024” and “He hasn’t won a match since Crown Jewel” are both true. When you only ever have shmozz finishes, how do we know if you’re any good or not?

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, FUM said:

Do we include house shows in everyone’s win/loss record now? Granted he’s not won much on TV since Cena but the way people exaggerate the impact by including house shows is a bit silly. He’s had 5 TV matches this year of which 1 has ended in a no contest, 2 have ended in DQ’s and 1 was a handicap match where his team were outnumbered. On TV, his only loss he’s actually ate a pin in 2024 was to Randy Orton.

I just looked up his record this year on cagematch and thought it was funny, it’s not that deep, or even important. It’s wrestling where we suspend our disbelief frequently.

An edit just for you @SuperBacon. The line was rightfully shat upon when Brandi used it in 2021 for being cringe. Although she’d top it later on when cutting a promo on Dan Lambert used the line, “You might be a Black Belt, but I’m a black bitch”. Sure, not offering Brandi an extension of her talent contract is probably what cost AEW from keeping Cody Rhodes, but it was the right decision, especially as WWE have also not hired her back. But if you think it’s cool, go you!

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
Just to piss off bacon.

The most interesting thing about Solo is how he can seemingly turn aura on or off.

Sometimes he can be either completely anonymous or wallpaper or window dressing. Other times he can completely chew scenery and dominate attention.

If its an ability he has, he's got a bright future. If it's accidental, he's going to have to work really hard to maintain his level throughout his career.

When he switches it on though, there's really something there.

If Solo taking control of The Bloodline and adding his own members leads to a confrontation with Roman where he asks Solo what gave him the right and Solo gets to say “I did it for The Rock” then I will be fucking ecstatic!

35 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

If Solo taking control of The Bloodline and adding his own members leads to a confrontation with Roman where he asks Solo what gave him the right and Solo gets to say “I did it for The Rock” then I will be fucking ecstatic!

Only if they retcon that it was The Final Boss who ordered Austin to be run over. 

3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Again, I reckon I’m in the minority - but am I the only person on here that finds the Stratton character massively irritating? She’s tremendous in ring; but the gimmick really grates on me.

Isn't she meant to be? She's a cocky arrogant mean girl heel. I always assumed she should be irritating. I enjoy it and I think she's great in that role.

23 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Isn't she meant to be? She's a cocky arrogant mean girl heel. I always assumed she should be irritating. I enjoy it and I think she's great in that role.

Well yes, but a character like that should still be entertaining. I find her character work grating to the point I don’t want to watch it. Judging by the reaction she gets though, I can totally accept that I’m not only in a minority in feeling this way, but an extreme minority. 

36 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Well yes, but a character like that should still be entertaining. I find her character work grating to the point I don’t want to watch it. Judging by the reaction she gets though, I can totally accept that I’m not only in a minority in feeling this way, but an extreme minority. 

It's the point of a heel though, surely? If she was annoying to the point of being entertaining then you would like her because she was entertaining - therefore she would no longer be a heel. 

16 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It's the point of a heel though, surely? If she was annoying to the point of being entertaining then you would like her because she was entertaining - therefore she would no longer be a heel. 

I don’t buy into that logic. If you don’t want to watch someone it’s not an example of a ‘great heel’ - you should want to see them get their arses kicked; but you can be entertained by them along the way. Look at other strong heels in modern wrestling - Christian Cage, Roman Reigns, Swerve Strickland and Dominic Mysterio - entertaining for sure, but you absolutely want to see them get their arses kicked. 

Same goes for villains outside of wrestling - if you don’t want to watch them, that’s not an example of a great character. You can hate them, but feel compelled to watch. I don’t feel that way about Stratton. 

Again though, I’m not in the majority here - most people seem massively entertained by her, so she’s clearly working. Not in everything in wrestling needs to appeal to everyone. She’s clearly going to be an enormous star, my opinion is irrelevant- if I was Triple H, I’d be giving her an enormous push too in spite of how I feel about the character.