The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

There's no way he doesn't - eventually. He'd never have gone back to the creative environment before but I'm absolutely sure that in another year or two, it will be unrecognisable from that POV and they'll throw money at him. Punk went back. He was the one I really thought never would.

Despite what he's claimed Punk always wanted to go back and tried to go back several times before the AEW offer came along. The people with a vendetta always seem to go back. Mox seems a bit different because he doesn't have a vendetta or outrage or enemies. He just wants to wrestle the way he wants to and where he wants to. If he does end up back there it doesn't really feel as momentous as others returning because he never had that huge falling out. If his decision ends up money based I'm pretty sure Tony Khan will match any offer WWE throw at him.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

If his decision ends up money based I'm pretty sure Tony Khan will match any offer WWE throw at him.

It won't, if he meant what he said on Talk Is Jericho about his WWE exit.

they offered him an improved deal, but he didn't even look at it, later saying that he wouldn't have signed for $10 million.

It's not the be-all and end-all to him. If he's happy, TK won't have to match anything.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah Mox is more like a Terry Funk than someone who actually hates the fed, he appreciates his freedom.

I imagine it's only a matter of time, in the post-McMahon era, where someone high profile negotiates a deal with WWE that gives them a level of freedom to perform elsewhere, if only to poach them from AEW or from under AEW's noses if they're a high profile free agent. 

Personally, I'd love to see Moxley return to WWE, to find out how this version of the Moxley character would fare in the WWE landscape. While I wouldn't be totally shocked if that happened, I think it's more likely that he won't sign with anyone at all once his AEW contract expires; simply choosing to wrestle for fun in smaller organisations. 

While I can see certain people high up in WWE definitely being the types to offer more freedom I'm not so sure about Endeavor/TKO as a whole, isn't the UFC side super controlling of it's fighters (while underpaying them by a tonne)?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I imagine it's only a matter of time, in the post-McMahon era, where someone high profile negotiates a deal with WWE that gives them a level of freedom to perform elsewhere, if only to poach them from AEW or from under AEW's noses if they're a high profile free agent. 

Even before AEW, this was sort of a thing. When Samoa Joe first signed with WWE, he was one of the first high profile wrestlers since CM Punk to be able to keep his established name (Johnny Gargano and Tomasso Ciampa technically came first), and initially he was actually permitted to still take independent bookings while appearing in NXT - it was heralded as this bold new move and new style of contract, and a sea change in how WWE operated. Within three months, they decided he could only work NXT after all. 

And then of course NXT UK contracts technically allowed their wrestlers to take outside bookings, but the restrictions and requirements changed by the week. Obviously WWE is a very different landscape now, but I don't see the parent company of UFC taking kindly to the idea of letting their talent take outside bookings even if it is to spite AEW. If anything, the fact that the last few high profile free agents all signed with AEW over WWE suggests that winning over free agents with sweetheart deals isn't part of WWE's strategy at all.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

And then of course NXT UK contracts technically allowed their wrestlers to take outside bookings, but the restrictions and requirements changed by the week.

Ah, fond memories. Around those years it used to be when a wrestler was contractually property of another fed, it made certain results of matches featuring those guys a little obvious i.e their real bosses wouldn't be letting them job to Andy Local.*

However, imagine the intrigue when Fight Club Pro put on WWE's Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate & Trent Seven vs New Japan's Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks? I had no idea what was going to happen. Match was a belter too. In fucking Wolverhampton!

*Well, apart from that mysterious time in Preston Liger lost to Dean Allmark of all people. But then, Liger tended to do whatever he wanted anyway.

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

It won't, if he meant what he said on Talk Is Jericho about his WWE exit.

It's not the be-all and end-all to him. If he's happy, TK won't have to match anything.

Yeah, if Moxley was to go back to WWE it would be because they have an angle or plan that he really likes.  And I suspect that would be some version of The Shield that is really cool.  He obviously still has friends there, including Rollins and Reigns, it would be wrestling opportunities that would entice him.

It probably won't happen soon but like @tiger_rick says, everyone goes back eventually, even if it's a retirement or Hall Of Fame thing.

Edited by Loki
spelin

First Rock’s new entrance, now Jade Cargill’s - I’m really loving the production and creativity and I hope WWE (and AEW, for that matter) does more of that going forward.

Cargill looked and acted like a megastar, and I’m glad that she’ll likely be on the Wrestlemania card. 

Overall, this felt like more of a secondary show than Raw, but I still enjoyed it. Wrestlemania is shaping up really nicely and can’t come soon enough for me.

I'm beginning to think Montez Ford might not be the next biggest thing in wrestling, you know.

Absolutely criminal that they're letting his career drift.

Smackdown felt like a nothingburger compared to Raw. If it's not got Cody or Rock on, or even the C-Squad of Roman and Rollins, it's hard to care as I think everything else is a bit cold going into Mania.

Jade looked great, and I laughed at the way they tried to give absent-Roman some heat and relevancy back by having Heyman say he ordered the beatdown. Good one.

LA Knight has had a quicker cool down than Hans Solo in Empire Strikes Back. Absolutely ice cold.

That's about all I thought of Smacky-D this week.

Oh well, Rock and Cody are on Raw on Monday.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Real, “actually, Triple H told Rikishi to run Stone Cold over,” vibes.

You hope Roman has a really strong week starting on Raw, putting himself on the same level as The Rock, but does he even have it in him? What can he even do?

Is it too late to replace Roman with Jade Cargill in the Night One tag match? Absolute megastar.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Only if Rikishi actually was the star.

Haven't seen much of Jade Cargill as I wasn't watching AEW when she was there, so didn't really get the hype beyond the physique.

Until tonight. Wow what a star. Decent on the mic, looked incredible and then hit her stuff clean at the end. Excited to see more. 

AEW must have watched this after the lacklustre start from Mone and thought what have we done. Cargill was everything they thought they were getting. 

Edited by Froggie Splash

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

You hope Roman has a really strong week starting on Raw, putting himself on the same level as The Rock, but does he even have it in him? What can he even do?

I dunno, I took it as Roman desperately trying to retain his leadership by taking ownership of actions he had nothing to do with. I think it’s deliberate, and it’s going to culminate in Rock kicking Roman out of The Bloodline, once he loses his title to Cody.

1 hour ago, Froggie Splash said:

AEW must have watched this after the lacklustre start from Mone and thought what have we done. Cargill was everything they thought they were getting. 

I mean, they tried to keep her - she chose to go to WWE. It wasn’t a case of them choosing Mone over Cargill. And as far as Mercedes goes, it’s literally been a few weeks, and she’s constantly being put in a position in which she’s always been weak, where she’s had to use her verbal skills.