The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If Rock had won the Rumble, Iā€™m not sure ā€˜We want Codyā€™ would have happened. I donā€™t agree with most of your takes on this feud (such as Cody ā€˜not being a faceā€™ā€¦Iā€™m not sure how youā€™d back that statement up, but I think youā€™d struggle to make the case for it) - but I think youā€™re probably correct as far as that is concerned.Ā 

Agree with this, I think the key thing they did was have Cody win the Rumble and signal to Roman, combined with the awkward stilted promo where Cody handed the match to The Rock.

In the middle of everything else that was going on, it was clearly a quickly cobbled together retcon and the fans kicked off.

I think if they'd gone about it a different way there'd have been some kickback, but nothing like what they got, and they'd have been able to run Roman/Rock quite easily, and Seth/Cody or whatever they wanted to do on the other night.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If Rock had won the Rumble, Iā€™m not sure ā€˜We want Codyā€™ would have happened. I donā€™t agree with most of your takes on this feud (such as Cody ā€˜not being a faceā€™ā€¦Iā€™m not sure how youā€™d back that statement up, but I think youā€™d struggle to make the case for it) - but I think youā€™re probably correct as far as that is concerned.Ā 

Cheers. As to Cody not being a face, what I meant was heā€™s not a traditional face. Cody does things in his own way (itā€™s why the Codyverse became such a millstone). The guy even called out the Homelander comparison of himself for Christs sake. For every few face traits there are underlying heel ones. Now, Iā€™m not saying you need to be straight face or straight heel, gray has been a popular wrestling colour for years. But if you want to be the white meat baby face, you canā€™t do the heel bits.

We Want Cody only happened because The Rock swooped in and made Cody back out of the Roman fight. Cody could have won the Rumble, had an in ring with Roman and Seth about making a decision, and made the decision that he didnā€™t feel Roman deserved the same spotlight as Cody, so Iā€™ve decided Iā€™m fighting Seth, and than said but I spoke to someone willing to and the Rocks music hit. I mean the most telling thing about when they did that segment was how Cody looked, and his body language, with the Rock all smiles. Because they assumed that match was what the fans really wanted. As much as they have tried damage control with the situation, itā€™s still left a sour taste for a lot of people. Because you have people in both Cody and Rock v Roman camps.

Cody is the closest to a pure babyface main eventer they've had since Cena or Bryan. He's out there kissing babies and going to kids birthday parties and a bazillion other things. I'm not sure they could get much more traditional if they tried. He's Hogan without the racism.

I'm not sure that it's Cody that's most at risk from being overshadowed by The Rock. Ā For me, it's Roman Reigns that is most at risk of being in the shade. Ā Reigns' charisma is sort of a smouldering one, built now on a solid foundation of being THE guy for years and a very, very long title reign. Ā He's the one most contrasted with the bright burning flame of The Rock. Ā 

But in all honesty, it's for these guys to step up. Ā They're getting equal screen time with him, they have the opportunity to knock it out of the park. Ā When Hogan came back in The Rock was in a similar position but the two of them managed to put on a classic and improve both their reputations. Ā 

Personally I think there's only one guy on the roster with the sort of charisma you need to stand up to The Rock, someone with undeniable kavorka. Ā Rocky may have the flowery shirt, but he has the shoes of a champion. Ā Yeah.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Loki said:

Personally I think there's only one guy on the roster with the sort of charisma you need to stand up to The Rock, someone with undeniable kavorka. Ā Rocky may have the flowery shirt, but he has the shoes of a champion. Ā Yeah.

Attitude Era by Temu is having enough trouble dicing with the body of AJ Styles that's possessed by the ghost of Randy Savage. The Rock would eviscerate him.Ā 

43 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm not sure that it's Cody that's most at risk from being overshadowed by The Rock. Ā For me, it's Roman Reigns that is most at risk of being in the shade.

Completely agree with this. Donā€™t feel like Cody has lost anything from all of this. Roman completely looks like heā€™s playing second fiddle to his family member.

The best he looked was telling The Rock to acknowledge him but outside that heā€™s looked like a bit part in all of this and I donā€™t think itā€™s anything he is personally doing - itā€™s the way it has been written.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Ā 

CM Punk's injured, isn't he?

Yeah!

8 hours ago, FUM said:

Completely agree with this. Donā€™t feel like Cody has lost anything from all of this. Roman completely looks like heā€™s playing second fiddle to his family member.

The best he looked was telling The Rock to acknowledge him but outside that heā€™s looked like a bit part in all of this and I donā€™t think itā€™s anything he is personally doing - itā€™s the way it has been written.

Depends what the long game is really. Assuming Roman loses, what happens after this? That's always been a very big question. There's plenty of opportunities to get his heat back after all this. If the plan is for Rock/Roman at some point then it all makes more sense. In fact I've always enjoyed the paranoid side of Roman's character. I think that's always been the main weakness whenever we've seen it, so if this is all a long game by Cody/Rock then it makes sense. If it isn't..Ā  well hopefully they'll keep Roman strong in the rebound somehow. I highly doubt they've invested this much time in him just to leave him as a side character.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Depends what the long game is really. Assuming Roman loses, what happens after this?
ā€¦.

I highly doubt they've invested this much time in him just to leave him as a side character.

Forgive me if Iā€™m repeating myself but I wonder how much longer Roman really wants to go on. The length of his title(s) run has been very much ā€œWell, we said weā€™d make you top dog. We know we made you wait too long and jerked you around on the way first time roundā€¦ and second timeā€¦. and third time. Well - here it is, youā€™re the guy.ā€ We know heā€™s fought cancer twice. We know heā€™s been working limited dates already for a couple of years. Some online mutterings a couple of months ago suggested heā€™s been saying how tired he is, that it takes him longer and longer to recover after each match. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if heā€™s got one more of the ā€œBig 3ā€ left in him before riding off into the sunset after Mania 41.

I don't think he rides off into the sunset after Mania 41 for good, they never do do they?

I just hope when it comes around to Rock-Roman next year that it's The Rock who is heel after him and the bloodline take Reigns out after Mania this year.

Seen Roman is advertised for this years Summerslam already, maybe have him vs Solo then if they can build Solo back up at all.

Is it correct that Solo has lost every match he has been in since the Saudi show where he beat Cena?

12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Cheers. As to Cody not being a face, what I meant was heā€™s not a traditional face. Cody does things in his own way (itā€™s why the Codyverse became such a millstone). The guy even called out the Homelander comparison of himself for Christs sake. For every few face traits there are underlying heel ones. Now, Iā€™m not saying you need to be straight face or straight heel, gray has been a popular wrestling colour for years. But if you want to be the white meat baby face, you canā€™t do the heel bits.

Ā 

Such as? I'm genuinely perplexed at your assessment here. Outsmarting the heels as he did on Friday doesn't really cut it. In both WWE and AEW you see situations arise far too often in which heel groups attack babyface after babyface, and the wrestlers in question never think to bring back-up (aside from The Bloodline, look at the Social Outcasts) - being a sucker shouldn't be a 'babyface trait'...(not that I'm suggesting you're saying that)

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Forgive me if Iā€™m repeating myself but I wonder how much longer Roman really wants to go on. The length of his title(s) run has been very much ā€œWell, we said weā€™d make you top dog. We know we made you wait too long and jerked you around on the way first time roundā€¦ and second timeā€¦. and third time. Well - here it is, youā€™re the guy.ā€ We know heā€™s fought cancer twice. We know heā€™s been working limited dates already for a couple of years. Some online mutterings a couple of months ago suggested heā€™s been saying how tired he is, that it takes him longer and longer to recover after each match. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if heā€™s got one more of the ā€œBig 3ā€ left in him before riding off into the sunset after Mania 41.

I could definitely see his schedule becoming even more limited. It'll be interesting to see what approach WWE takes going forward, once Roman does wrap things up. I suspect they'll transition into more of an ensemble approach, rather than having one 'central star' (as with Reigns and Cena) - but if they do go for a 'central star', I think there's every chance the 'face of the company' could be female - the wrestlers with 'megastar' potential are pretty much all women - Rhea, Cargill, Belair and Stratton. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting - but it'll be interesting to see what they do.Ā 

That has been something I've wondered - that this is his last big run, and then he gives himself a proper break. This was a run that was almost never possible. They probably want to make the most of it while they can. You just never know.Ā 

He was very explicit on the McAfee show the other day about going on for a while yet. He said the below:

Spoiler

ā€œFor me, I don't want this to ever end. I don't want this dream to end. I don't want to wake up, so I do everything I have to do to maintain this position. It's a lot of work. I'm very private about my me time and family time. You don't get that backstage look at everything I'm doing. Know that I'm constantly working. I'm obsessed with continuing to progress. I know there is another level and there is more that I can do. I don't like to get satisfied or comfortable with the current level that I'm on.

Yeah, I'm just scratching the surface. I'm still experimenting and figuring stuff out. I'm 38 years young. I'm a young man and have so much stuff to do. If we were able to do this in four years, imagine what we can conquer in another decade. The work has been put in. The skin still looks good. I don't see it stopping anytime. We're about to set more records WrestleMania weekend with the main events. We're chasing landmarks and different history marks with the title reign. There is so much history left to make. I don't see it ever ending."

Granted he was in character for much of the interview but it doesnā€™t sound like a man who plans on cutting it much more anytime soon. He already has a relatively limited schedule.

Edited by FUM

• Paid Members

Saw clips from after Smackdown went off the air, with Cody giving away his shoes. If that man isnā€™t a babyface then I donā€™t know what is. Heā€™s the fucking messiah.

I hope Roman sticks around. It took him so long to find a character that actually clicked with the audience, Iā€™d like him to go long enough that we forget the blue contact lenses and dreadful Wrestlemania main events where the production crew had to turn the crowd volume down. The dark days.

The idea of continuing the Bloodline saga though? Fuck that. Itā€™s already about six months to a year past its sell by date. nWo territory. Weā€™ve already had the Bloodline Wolfpack vs. Bloodline Hollywood.Ā Give it a natural, satisfying conclusion already.

Forgive me if Iā€™m repeating myself but I wonder how much longer Roman really wants to go on. The length of his title(s) run has been very much ā€œWell, we said weā€™d make you top dog. We know we made you wait too long and jerked you around on the way first time roundā€¦ and second timeā€¦. and third time. Well - here it is, youā€™re the guy.ā€Ā 

Wait, what? How on Earth did WWE jerk him around? He's been earmarked as THE GUY from day dot. He's always been main event/top of the card, usually with some title in tow. Only times he hasn't been the top champ really is when Brock had the belt, and really Roman was still The Guy back then because he was actually the one on TV every week.

All I can think of is Seth cashing in at Mania 31. And that only happened because the fans were rejecting Roman, I wouldn't call that WWE jerking him around.