The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

I’d be surprised if many suffer that full 3 hours of RAW without fast forward use. I was hoping the Netflix deal would be the solution but I doubt it now Netflix has an ad tier.

• Paid Members

I haven’t seen many people talking about what a disaster that main event was on Smackdown. Asuka seemingly injuring her leg somewhere and spending most of the segment hopping and limping. Io Sky landing on Bayley’s head when she hit her top rope moonsault. With no immediate reports of injuries you hope/assume everyone is okay, but scary stuff to be happening so close to Wrestlemania. This whole Bayley thing feels cursed. It hasn’t clicked at all. Where are the side ponies?! Where are the Bayley Buddies?! Where is the old music?!?

I have no evidence whatsoever, but I reckon The Rock is somehow to blame.

I wonder if Bayley even wants to jump right back into full face mode. Arguably she had a tough time getting to the main roster and succeeding under that gimmick. Will it work returning to it? I think it needs to be a natural progression if they do head that way and it'd be fairly jarring to just see her turn up like that at Mania. I'm sure it'll raise a smile if it happens, but she also wants Paramore as an entrance doesn't she? Time will tell but Rhea/Becky is feeling a bigger match at the moment.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Time will tell but Rhea/Becky is feeling a bigger match at the moment.

100% it is for me, and it’s not just at the moment. It’s then, now, forever. (Together)

When they started teasing the match back in January, I sat up and thought “Yes, THAT would be a match worthy of WrestleMania.” I probably have it as the fourth “biggest deal” of the weekend after the two men’s World title matches and Rocky’s tag, because of the standings of the two involved. The match comes around at the perfect time in the careers of both ; “The Man” has basically got herself into a spot no woman before has ever been afforded through sheer ability to connect to the masses. Having won the (at the time) big belt, the Raw title, by pinning Ronda Rousey at a Mania and going on last, she was the face of the company, and having been champion for over a year only mat leave halted her… to then immediately win a championship back in her first match back and add another 8 months to the time that she essentially was never not holding one of the titles. Having lost the (by that point and still) big belt, the Raw title to Belair, she’s since been made into that elite level of star - she shows up for a special occasion, she’s the big shock final War Games partner, she teams with or feuds with the legends. She’s the big deal, with or without a title.

Conversely, Rhea has been on a steady rise for the last 5 and a half years that in the last 12 months has gone supernova. Having already had Mania matches and title wins, Mami entered a ridiculously strong Rumble showing to outlast the whole field and win, then decisively pinned office favourite Charlotte (13 title reigns to her name) at Mania to lift the SmackDown title (as was). In the months since, especially post draft and belt facelift, Ripley has done wonders for what was the junior title, and been such a dominant presence both as a champion and character on the company’s oldest weekly TV show, that not only has she overtaken Belair - the hardest pushed of her peers - but it’s easy to forget that her belt, rather than the one Bianca wore and Io currently holds, is not “THE title” that traces its lineage back to the good old days, rather the one created in 2016 when SmackDown needed one of its own… first won, fittingly, by Becky Lynch. Rhea stands far apart from her generation, beyond “the EST” and leaving all others FAR behind.

So now, you have the match. One of those very rare generational meetings on the big stage which poses the questions - is it Mami still on the way up meeting The Man on her way down? Having won the belt from one of the standard bearers for those that came before her, is Rhea now on Becky’s level? Or… does Becky have to beat Ripley to prove she’s still on that level? Plus, it helps that it isn't a match that's been done to death on half a dozen previous PPVs.

Never mind Io or Bayley, it’s been ages since they’ve been capable of a match this big out of ANY two ladies, in fact the last chance they had to put on singles match this big would have been Rousey vs Lynch, and they passed. Excusing the time that passed between the two matches here - if Becky vs Trish was analogous to Rock vs Hogan in terms of a current star at or even ever so slightly past the peak of their standings taking on THE name of the previous era…. then Becky vs Rhea is the closest to Rock vs Cena I can imagine.

Edited by air_raid
That's German for "The Bart The"

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Personally I'm hoping they drop Raw to 2 hours.

If they don't sort something for between the end of September when the TV deal ends and the beginning of January when the Netflix deal starts then Raw will be dropping to 0 hours. 

28 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

If they don't sort something for between the end of September when the TV deal ends and the beginning of January when the Netflix deal starts then Raw will be dropping to 0 hours. 

It'll still be a fucking slog to get through.

Seriously... worse comes to worse they stream it for free on Youtube? 

But surely... SURELY... someone will pay something to have Raw for 3 months?!?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

It'll still be a fucking slog to get through.

Seriously... worse comes to worse they stream it for free on Youtube? 

But surely... SURELY... someone will pay something to have Raw for 3 months?!?

Who wants to pay for a 3 month extended advert for a new Netflix show? Like you say I'm sure a deal will be struck somewhere. 

I know financially they wouldn't do it unless left with no other choice, but it wouldn't hurt them to just give Raw a break for 3 months.   Big re-launch into the new Netflix era.

There's probably international deals anyway where even if they don't get a 3 month deal in the US, they'd still have to make it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Who wants to pay for a 3 month extended advert for a new Netflix show? Like you say I'm sure a deal will be struck somewhere. 

They could just stick it on the Network surely?

Oh.