The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

I think the issue with the Uso match is that over the course of their 'story', since Jimmy turned on Jey, it was a secondary priority to getting Jey over as a singles guy.

Jey was peaking, so they made the decision to break him away but it was far too early if they wanted to seriously sustain the Uso v Uso feud for Mania. As such, Jey went and did his thing with the air slowly leaving the feuds balloon, and Jimmy was sort of victim to both Jey's push and the gap between the turn and Mania.

Jimmy might be a tremendous performer, but they had absolutely zero plan for him between the turn and now. He did it to save Jey from Roman, but oh wait he's Roman's mate again... or is he? ... no, yeah... yeah, he's just Roman's mad little mate again.

So whilst Jey's been off yeeting away and having a good time (allowing people to think about him feuding with Gunther or Seth or being in fun tag teams with Cody), Jimmy's been kicking his heels doing nothing that makes much sense. It means that when they finally brought them back together, it felt like I hadn't seriously thought about it for ages and had lost a bit of interest.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Yeah the coldness due to Jimmy's turn makes more sense I think and I can definitely understand why some people wouldn't be into it after that. It was pretty nonsensical. But I guess the long term plan was riding the Jey popularity wave AND getting the Mania match between the two. It has been mentioned by them a few times that it's something they wanted. So on a personal level I'm quite happy for them too.

Also not really sure where they go after it. Is it one big blow off match and then they go back to pretending each other doesn't exist? I imagine they'll reconcile eventually. Most teams do. Might depend on how successful Jey continues to be.

• Paid Members

I suspect the next step will be a triple threat with Solo which WWE will try to sell as the first time three brothers have ever faced each other in a wrestling match , despite the fact there's probably at least one such match happening in Mexico every week. 

• Paid Members

Like @Statto, I absolutely love the Usos, I think they're one of the greatest tag teams of all time. Certainly one of my favourites. Their Mania match-up feels cold to me because it's just hard for me to invest in the idea that these brothers really want to fight each other. I just don't like seeing them apart. They're undeniably a stronger act together than individually, as evidenced by the fact that as a tag team they main evented night one of WrestleMania last year. I want that sort of success for them.

12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

When was the last time either had a match on TV, and a decent one?

Jey Uso had a cracker with Gunther to start this part of the feud just a few shows ago then a good main event with Drew the following week. In fact, he wrestles pretty regular and generally always has a decent match.

20 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As for the USO match, I appreciate it’s got a story, but what have either actually done recently to make me feel it’s going to be a good match? This has Matt vs Jeff stench around it, but there’s still time for that to be built up.

This comment might be a symptom of you not watching WWE regularly (or only watching Smackdown) as Jey Uso wrestles all the time. He’s also been brilliant, his matches are generally of a very high quality. Jimmy wrestles less for whatever reason, but he always looks good when he does. 

I think @d-d-d-dAz is spot on though, they did the break-up far too early to be able to sustain the feud. It feels like they’re picking up on something long forgotten about. I still think the match has potential to be great, but they probably should have either wrestled much earlier, delayed the break-up angle or had this play out differently (eg. Roman beats Jey clean at Summerslam, Jey leaves to go to Raw to ‘find himself’ and Jimmy ends up stumbling back into The Bloodline, feeling lost without his brother - with a confrontation between the two happening at the Rumble of Elimination Chamber).

• Paid Members

Austin Theory’s explanation for his Stunner-RKO oversell is actually quite funny. I don’t know if people are ready to admit this yet, but Theory’s found his groove as a midcard idiot jobber to the stars. Being paired with Grayson has improved his act ten fold.

It's a shame that the IC belt has been locked around Gunther (rightfully), as the story between Jay and Jimmy is that one chose to walk away as he believed in himself and the other stayed in the abusive relationship with Roman.

As such the one who walked and had faith in himself succeeded where his brother did not, building jealousy within Jimmy.

BUT Jay's not had anything super material (accept for a flash in the pan tag title reign) to show for it.

Jay having a run with the ic belt, with Jimmy constantly coming up short, before eventually screwing his bro over for his ic belt would of made this whole thing better.

• Paid Members

Re : Theory - so, if he’s not part of the tag team title clusterfuck, can I assume he won’t actually wrestle at Mania? If so, he’ll go from beating John Cena last year to being left off the card this year, which surely has got to be the worst drop off from one Mania to the next for someone still on the active roster since King Kong Bundy went from wrestling Hulk Hogan at 2, to wrestling Little Beaver at 3.

7 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Re : Theory - so, if he’s not part of the tag team title clusterfuck, can I assume he won’t actually wrestle at Mania? If so, he’ll go from beating John Cena last year to being left off the card this year, which surely has got to be the worst drop off from one Mania to the next for someone still on the active roster since King Kong Bundy went from wrestling Hulk Hogan at 2, to wrestling Little Beaver at 3.

Honourable mention to Big Show losing to Cena at Mania XX and then getting strutting out in a kimono for Akebono to throw him about. Poor lad.

• Paid Members

Significant Mania to Mania drop-offs (and ascents) are always of interest to me, particularly when viewed through the dual lenses of the year between seeming like an eternity as a kid, and the blink of an eye now. 

One that always springs to mind for me is Demolition going from their then unprecedented tag championship 3-peat at VI (going over Andre the Giant in the process, on paper at least) to a 4-minute job to a couple of outsiders at VII (via a member change). 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, SpykeDudlei1 said:

It’s also why rehashes of SNME have never worked because the whole idea of that was it was that extraspecial star vs star opportunity outside of the Big 4.

The funny thing is, they did get TV episodes that felt the same as SNME did back in the day for filling that gap between the PPV meetings, during the first round of single brand PPVs - the other show would have a “big” episode of TV the month the other had the PPV. Examples being the week that Raw had Unforgiven 2003, SmackDown put on the Angle vs Lesnar Iron Man match. The month after SmackDown had No Mercy so Raw did Goldberg vs HBK for the belt.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

This comment might be a symptom of you not watching WWE regularly (or only watching Smackdown) as Jey Uso wrestles all the time. He’s also been brilliant, his matches are generally of a very high quality. Jimmy wrestles less for whatever reason, but he always looks good when he does. 

That Makes sense. I normally only watch the first hour or 2 of Raw at most, though normally all of Smackdown. 

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That Makes sense. I normally only watch the first hour or 2 of Raw at most, though normally all of Smackdown. 

3-hours is definitely still a harder watch, even with the quality being better now, so I totally understand that. I usually just whizz my way through it with heavy use of fast forward. I just don’t have the time to watch it in full. I generally watch all of Smackdown, though.