The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I think this is the first WWE show I've watched in full since this years Rumble. It was alright. Nowhere near as entertaining as AEW but not as terrible as I'd been reading on Twitter and the like.

We've mentioned it loads on here but the camera cuts are fucking abysmal and actively fail to get you engaged in the matches. You do get used to it eventually but I'll find it hard to invest in any of the matches while this ADHD camerawork continues.

Everything involving Sasha/Bayley was head and shoulders above anything else on the show.

Splitting New Day up like that was shit but the absolute nadir of the show was Seths backstage promo. He is so fucking bad.

Actually I don't think there's a period in WWEs history where the in-ring work is so vastly superior to the promos. All of the promos were pretty bad and maybe it's been that way for years, but having good unscripted promos in AEW makes it much more noticeable.

Paul Heyman can do one too, he's still cutting the same promo he was cutting 8 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Paul Heyman can do one too, he's still cutting the same promo he was cutting 8 years ago.

I'm not saying he's rewritten the book on his own promos but I've actually enjoyed the subtle differences between his work with Reigns and their relationship compared to what his promos were with Brock. I think they've made sure it's not a carbon copy and actually made the dynamic an interesting one. But I guess that's hard to tell on a one-off watch. Personally I'm enjoying their work together.

Goldberg has posted on Instagram (only thing I have, it may be on Twitter too) that he has an "Interest" in the Reigns vs Braun match tonight and will be watching it from the Thunderdome.

Dunno if that's watching on tv, in person or as a floating head....either way exciting stuff....Reigns vs Goldberg at Survivor Series would be my guess.

Edited by The Cutting Edge

10 hours ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Goldberg has posted on Instagram (only thing I have, it may be on Twitter too) that he has an "Interest" in the Reigns vs Braun match tonight and will be watching it from the Thunderdome.

Dunno if that's watching on tv, in person or as a floating head....either way exciting stuff....Reigns vs Goldberg at Survivor Series would be my guess.

That would be fantastically different and a great use of the Thunderdome.Ā 

Edited by simonworden

Very much one of those shows that's in between a draft but before a PPV that they've already half booked towards. It's always a confusing time. Anyway I thought it was a pretty decent show. Made me excited for the number of fresh Daniel Bryan matches we could have. Everything else was pretty decent.

The New Day stuff was emotional and the match itself was solid too. It's crazy to think how far they've come together. I'm glad they didn't go the traditional turn split route.Ā 

Seen a lot of "typical wwe/old man Vince breaking up a team" "dunno what they're doing" etc about New Day but I really can't see any benefit keeping them as a 3man team, they've been together for 6yrs which is a long time for any gimmick now.

If Big E wants to be a proper top guy he can't be the mid card tag guy chucking pancakes, it's gotten him over but not main event which is a different level.

Speaking of which Roman is just so good in this role.

SD seems to be in ok shape post draft

Saw Goldberg, Mark Henry and Keith Lee on screens watching Title match which was a nice touch

• Paid Members

It remains a miracle that New Day ever slipped through the net in the first place.

During a time when the goal seems to be rinsing every act of any type of authenticity, boiling them down to one-note catchphrases Michael Cole can shout during theirĀ entrance,Ā itā€™s crazy how real they feel and how much the emotion and connection between the three of them shines through.

It was absolutely the right time to split them up and theyā€™ve done it in the best way possible. Big E can go on to create the next boom period as Universal Champion and then I can spunk my balls off when they do a long, drawn out tease for the inevitable reunion.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I thought it worked well having some wrestlers among the heads in the thunderdome, don't know why they haven't been doing it all along. Also seeing people do the YES hands thing on the screens was the first time it's felt like the virtual audience were remotely connected to the show, nice one D Bry.Ā 

Hope Corbin gets something to do, he barely got mentioned in the draft.

"When I was by your side when you won your first women's championship, who was by your side?... me"Ā  _Sasha BanksĀ