The Smackers Thread

• Paid Members

WWE definitely have a problem with face and heel turns - too often a dominant babyface becomes reliant on outside interference and screwy tactics to win matches, and spends all their time running and hiding from their opponents, when maybe a week or two earlier they'd never back down from a challenge. There's a lack of character consistency. Similarly, with face turns, someone with a fairly defined character tends to become a one-note people pleaser or ersatz The Rock cracking jokes and hitting catchphrases in every promo.

Gorilla Monsoon used to hit a specific note on commentary that I think does away with so many of those complaints in just one line - he used to bemoan that certain heels cheated so much because they were good enough that they didn't have to. It should be abundantly clear that the heels aren't always cheating and taking shortcuts because it's the only way they can win, they're doing it because they can and because it makes their life easier. A heel is a dishonest wrestler, not a bad one.

Steve Austin as a heel tended to work because he didn't become a chicken, he became desperate. He wasn't running away from opponents because he couldn't beat them, but because he was scared they might be able to beat him. He was obsessive and delusional, because the only thing that mattered to him was the title, and he would stop at nothing to keep it. They really tried to cement that by having him brutalise Jim Ross shortly after his heel turn, and I think Jey Uso is the JR to Steve Austin's Roman Reigns here - he's there to signify that old relationships don't matter, all that matters is Roman Reigns. How they go about that will be interesting, but it's almost impossible to fuck up - the only way they could get it wrong is a heatless, clean match full of exchanging finishers and high spots, and ordinarily I'd think that would be exactly what to expect from WWE, the Heyman involvement makes me think it will be structured far more like a Brock Lesnar match. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't forget: the clocks changed last week so if you want to record Smackdown you probably need some professional help.

What a Mark. 

Rob Gronkowski's ring entrance in an empty arena was the most embarrassing and cringy thing I may have ever seen as a wrestling fan. And thats coming from somebody whose parents were in the room when

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

This whole tribal leader/I feed a family thing with Roman Reigns is almost definitely leading up to a match with the Rock right?? 

It has been discussed online with both guys involved. I wouldn't be surprised at all, but who knows what shape Mania could be in next year. The Rock wouldn't come back without a crowd right?

This feud has been fucking awesome the last few weeks though.

All credit to Jey - he's done his fair share of making this a must-see match.

49 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

Roman having a twisted view on family is brilliant. He of course is a heel, but he clearly believes he has to kill his cousin to keep providing for said cousin and his family. Brilliant. 

I love it, Roman isn't even a heel to me, he's just the alpha lion swatting away the young pup who's annoying him, jey has his place, but Roman sits at the head of the table. 

I know they'll fuck it up but Roman is the best character I can remember in a very long time. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, this has been a belting little feud with Jey Uso. One of the best things Roman has ever done. That final segment last night was one of my favourite go-home segments in ages. Roman’s guttural screams were amazing. I can’t wait for this match!

Edited by Supremo

Tribal Chief Roman continues to rock. So, so glad they seem to have pivoted from the Bray Wyatt feud. Nobody wants that.

A year ago I thought they were wasting all of Sasha's heat by pairing her straight back with Bayley again. Now though? Bayley's gone on to grow and outshine her so much I think Sasha could be in trouble without her. Real bad babyface.

4 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Tribal Chief Roman continues to rock. So, so glad they seem to have pivoted from the Bray Wyatt feud. Nobody wants that.

I’m not sure how I feel about another match with Jey. Given their tendency to rinse and repeat over and over I worry that they’ll take what was a truly memorable moment and ruin it. I’m certainly not opposed to rematches if there’s a purpose to it, but it’s the default approach for WWE these days. 

Roman is such a natural dick on this role and it's excellent. Loved the bit where he hugs Jey, "I love you" and walks off. Such a simple story too, not over produced and it's working a treat.

HIAC at least allows the story to develop, possible Jimmy interference to start an all out family war perhaps? 

Is Jimmy healthy again? 

The "stakes being risen to the highest ever" or however they're wording it just seems yet more WWE trying to force phrases down our throats annoyingly. 

Unless it's that if Jey loses he's out of the family, he wanted this chance and if he can't take it he's banished, no more financial support from Roman, no support or contact from the family? That could give Jimmy a chance to align with a side and push Jey as looking for revenge but even then that's him 2-0 down to Roman. 

That could lead to the eventual Rock match if it was the case, who's the real Tribal Chief, the current champion or the grandson of the High Chief? 

12 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Is Jimmy healthy again? 

The "stakes being risen to the highest ever" or however they're wording it just seems yet more WWE trying to force phrases down our throats annoyingly. 

Unless it's that if Jey loses he's out of the family, he wanted this chance and if he can't take it he's banished, no more financial support from Roman, no support or contact from the family? That could give Jimmy a chance to align with a side and push Jey as looking for revenge but even then that's him 2-0 down to Roman. 

That could lead to the eventual Rock match if it was the case, who's the real Tribal Chief, the current champion or the grandson of the High Chief? 

Honestly, not sure if he's healthy. Given the nature of the match it might allow for some intervention and a slow(ish) build until he is healthy.

Suspect we might get him throwing the towel in again which will cause a family break, heat between the brothers allowing Reigns to feud with AJ, Sheamus etc until they swing back around to begin the WM build.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I know it's WWE logic and all that, but in Kayfabe terms surely the "biggest stakes attached to a match" or whatever it's going to be, is going to have to be pretty fucking massive to trump "loser loses an eye".

Loser gets murdered? 

Edited by mim731

You'd think so, but I'm guessing someone gets kicked out the family and they create a nice little heel stable to destroy everyone until such times they find a babyface worth any salt. The Rock couldn't go over RR in any logical scenario. I'm guessing Big E and The New Day could eventually take RR and The Uso(s) but they need to do a hella work to get big E more over than Reigns currently is.

Although if it is a 'loser gets killed' match I'm guessing Marty Jannetty does a run in. 

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Error