The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Jay Uso turned heel because why not.

I get the whole Jey attacking Bryan after the match in storyline. Jey wants to stay in the family and to please Roman but would it have hurt to have Uso cheat on the way to victory. I'm guessing it's Roman vs Bryan coming up and Bryan losing clean doesn't make him look credible as a challenger. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

I get the whole Jey attacking Bryan after the match in storyline. Jey wants to stay in the family and to please Roman but would it have hurt to have Uso cheat on the way to victory. I'm guessing it's Roman vs Bryan coming up and Bryan losing clean doesn't make him look credible as a challenger. 

Roman wanted him to be acknowledged as the head of the tribe, not to turn heel. That’s been done because now he’s seen the light. Awful looking table bump as well, stomach into the corner. Ouch

• Paid Members

I agree that the Jey/Roman angle was done well again this week but they've (Vince) cottoned on to the fact that both are mega over in a big way and they're starting to milk it a bit. I have no doubt that the intern conflict will be scripted to death and the eventual pay off will be ruined. 

Once the match was over Roman should have said something along the lines of "We're not done here Uso, your Chief wants to set an example." 

The way it played out with the looks and grimaces between them was a wee bit contrived. 

I wonder what the end game will be. I am terrible at fantasy booking but if they (Usos and Reigns) form a stable, coerce another member or two and have them run roughshod for a while and have Jey do the Batista turn eventually. Not sure he's main event material but they'd get a fair few storylines out of it and it would be something a bit fresh. 

Edited by Suplex Sinner

36 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Once the match was over Roman should have said something along the lines of "We're not done here Uso, your Chief wants to set an example." 

The way it played out with the looks and grimaces between them was a wee bit contrived. 

I completely disagree, it was handled perfectly. Roman speaking would have taken away from this angle. 

It works on another level too as Roman can quite truthfully say next week, if anyone calls him on it, that he didn’t tell Jey Uso to do anything and this was completely his own decision. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I completely disagree, it was handled perfectly. Roman speaking would have taken away from this angle. 

It works on another level too as Roman can quite truthfully say next week, if anyone calls him on it, that he didn’t tell Jey Uso to do anything and this was completely his own decision. 

That's fair enough. I do think it was done well I just felt it was right on the line between being good/great and being telegraphed/hammed up. 

Good point on the plausible deniability, it'll be interesting to see if they run with it. That would certainly add another layer to the dynamic between the two of them. 

• Paid Members

It was a year ago that NXT invaded Smackdown. An amazing episode where people like Rhea Ripley, Matt Riddle, Keith Lee, Ciampa and Shayna all looked boss.

What a job this company does on cooling people off. Everyone involved is now a complete nobody, floundering.

My main takeaway from this week’s show is how much I desperately need some Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns matches now they’re perfectly cast in the roles they were born to play. I’d feud them all the way to Royal Rumble.

Did I miss something or did Shorty G turn heel, denounce the Shorty G moniker and then vanish?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Did I miss something or did Shorty G turn heel, denounce the Shorty G moniker and then vanish

He took a wee tantrum last week after his defeat and said something along the lines of "To win I need to go back to my Olympic roots so Shorty G is no more"  the segment was apparently taped 6 weeks ago and was only used recently because they've decided to pull the trigger on it. 

13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

SmackDown has been a bit confusing lately with people randomly disappearing. Not sure if it's a deliberate choice or what. Like Big E. Where'd he go?

To be fair, Smackdown has rotated talent since the start of the second brand split. Granted, they've done less of it in the Fox era but I quite like that approach. It allows them to focus on the important storylines more over the space of one episode (eg. Roman Reigns/Jey Uso) and can leave the wrestlers we haven't seen feeling more fresh. Perhaps I'm alone in that viewpoint, but it definitely works for me. 

32 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

To be fair, Smackdown has rotated talent since the start of the second brand split. Granted, they've done less of it in the Fox era but I quite like that approach. It allows them to focus on the important storylines more over the space of one episode (eg. Roman Reigns/Jey Uso) and can leave the wrestlers we haven't seen feeling more fresh. Perhaps I'm alone in that viewpoint, but it definitely works for me. 

It's a fine line for me. I'm all for not over-exposing the talent, but at the same time I want them to follow up on things like Big E post-New Day or Chad Gable etc. Sometimes it doesn't feel like a logical move. But I suppose if they feel they don't have the room, or don't have exact plans quite yet, it's probably better to keep them off than just shoving them out there without rhyme or reason. It is a tough call, as you don't want to kill the momentum either.