The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Very disjointed first 40 minutes of the show in my opinion. Nice enough tribute to Pat Patterson. I might be old old old but given he was such an integral part of what we grew up with and watch today, I was expecting a show dedicated to - in the sense of tipping the cap to his best work - I know we're close to the Rumble but I was expecting a battle royal or am IC title focussed show.

Bayley is getting lost in the mix a wee bit I fear. Another substandard match. 

The rest was absolutely rubbish save for the KO/RR interactions again. Roman in this form on the mic and in the ring should be a money printing machine. Loved it. I sincerely hope that there's new trousers and music in his future though. He needs to further evolve these character points to be a real superstar in my opinion. Can't explain why, everything he's done since he's been back has been gold but then I think "he's just taken his best off but." 

Wrestling fans eh? Can't please them even when something's good!

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Speaking of which: Big E’s got his big boy entrance now. Chalk dust and theme by Wale? Sign me up and get him and Roman in at Mania. 

Incidentally I completely forgot to have a moan about him! I was expecting to be considering him a "big deal" on the up...you could feel Roman just turning it up a notch each week. Big E still doesn't feel like he's positioning for a run yet. 

Fuck me at that ending. Reigns is terrifying in this role, there’s a sense of danger and menace every time he’s on screen, it’s absolutely fantastic.

At this point, for me at least, fuck the idea of Big E/Reigns at ‘Mania. I want to see Jey Uso finally snap and take on this abusive bully one more time, finally going over. 

• Paid Members

To add to that sentiment, they need to be careful with their camera angles. Jey, in the background during the interview segment, looked much more ripped and bulkier and than Reigns. I could totally buy him taking the big dawg down! 

2 hours ago, Winston said:

Big E needs a lot of work before now and WrestleMania to be seen as a contender to Reigns in my opinion.

Drew McIntyre and Roman Reigns are in a different stratosphere compared to the rest of the roster at the moment. 

Of course he does. But it's not like Drew had a lengthy run before getting his Mania opportunity either.

58 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Of course he does. But it's not like Drew had a lengthy run before getting his Mania opportunity either.

And on top of that,  nor did E's tag mate Kofi. He only started to heat up in February? Didn't halt his ascension. Done right and correctly, with the right individual then all things are possible.

• Paid Members

Huge discussion I see for SmackDown.

Honestly the only two things that I came in to see if people were talking about was if it would really hurt that bad to smash a bottle over someone's back and the complete botch of Kay trying to elbow Natalya (who sold fresh air like a champ) and instead of attempting to forget it happened, putting it in their top 10 moments YouTube video.

51 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Out of curiosity as someone who watches Smackdown mostly through YouTube clips, have they mentioned that Sasha Banks is in a featured role in The Mandalorian

It was in her entrance insert after her first episode, haven't nearly pushed it as much as you'd expect considering the Disney/fox connection 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:11 PM, poetofthedeed said:

It was in her entrance insert after her first episode, haven't nearly pushed it as much as you'd expect considering the Disney/fox connection 

Perhaps, although Disney don’t have anything to do with the Fox TV network, or Fox Sports. 

• Paid Members

"...And Merry Christmas to you! And all the future inhabitants of the Sami Zayn butt condos and housing developments...thank you."

Months of doing nothing and he brings it all back with one two-minute promo!

I was listening to a comedy podcast the other day discussing how some of the best comedy exists in that sweet spot where everyone is on level pegging. The performers and audience alike are equally as in on the joke. There's an accepted reality that what's happening on stage or on screen is stupid as fuck but everyone's encouraged to delight in the daftness of it all. It's the best analogy for pro-wrestling I've ever heard. I enjoy wrestling the most when that's exactly how its pitched. It's not just a case of humour, either. Dark, serious segments can exist in that sweet spot just as successfully as the stupidest of promos with guys wearing hard hats and talking about building airports on someone's arse. It just has to be done well and without cynicism, with a love for the medium and respect for the audience.

Somewhere along the way, at least on their flagship shows, WWE completely lost sight of that sweet spot. Almost never does RAW, NXT or Smackdown feel like anyone is on level pegging and we're all enjoying this daft nonsense together. Dynamite, even when it's bad, at least feels like a pro-wrestling show made by pro-wrestling fans for other fans to enjoy. It's a shared experience. WWE's television is the weirdest dynamic possible. It's a show written by people who seemingly don't like pro-wrestling, trying to make a non-wrestling show within the parameter of a wrestling show, written to antagonise and troll it's viewing audience. Mental.

Big E is the perfect example of this mad dynamic. Even when he's at his most entertaining on Smackdown he never comes close to what he's like on Twitter or the Network. On those supplemental shows though? He's the embodiment of that sweet spot, having the time of his life being as daft as possible, encouraging everyone else to join in, doing his best to make us laugh, himself laugh, and whichever poor sod is trying to keep a straight face whilst interviewing him laugh.

Is there a better example of the right man at the wrong time than Big E? Twenty or thirty years ago, not handcuffed by WWE's modern-day micromanagement? He'd not only be one of the biggest stars in the business but he'd at the top of everyone's list to have as a guest on a Morning or Talk Show. He's the best.

Edited by Supremo

Only watching intermittently for a good few years now, Big E always strikes me as a potential star every time I check in. He’s goofy, sure, but he has real, room owning charisma.

That big push never seems to come though. Feels like he’s either been a tag champion or an IC champion for a decade.

I just wonder whether they’ll ever move him on. Watching last weeks highlights, they referred to it as his ‘breakout singles performance’ but... was it? Felt like it was a match at his existing level that he’s been having and winning forever.