The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The Carmella thing isn't so bad in context. They've had a fair back and forth feud. And Banks didn't really lose clean. Mella and Reginald have been trying to get one up on her for weeks now and Sasha has mostly looked strong as a babyface that keeps coming back, plus she did win their TLC match. I don't mind the tag win when it doesn't happen too often.

That's fair enough, obviously I don't know any context around the feud so may have been being overly harsh on it. It just seemed WWE overdid the 'contender pins champ in tag match' trope back when I regularly watched so seeing it here made me roll my eyes. Reginald seems like a fun addition to Carmella's gimmick.

The show was decent enough to persuade me to watch next weeks anyway, so there's that. I realised during this show just how much I've watched certain people - Owens, Zayn, Bryan - just do their thing in the ring.

It did also make me realise how much I don't miss Dolph Ziggler's promos where he pretends to be every heel he's ever watched, but you take the rough with the smooth.

I thought it was a very well told story - I think it benefitted by it being painfully obvious to everyone BUT the on-screen talent what was happening. Like a creeping realisation to Adam Pearce and the commentators just how strategic and awful Roman can be - but it was confused by Nakamura being the one to get the shaft.

It seemed perfectly set up for Daniel Bryan to be the one to get the Reigns treatment.

Roman is fucking tremendous though. I’m glued to the screen when he’s on. He’s like a Samoan mob boss.

I’m not sure Apollo Crews needed the protection he got either. I like that the slap showed Big E has the ability to get nasty with it, but Apollo is so clearly a schlub.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

12 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I thought it was a very well told story - I think it benefitted by it being painfully obvious to everyone BUT the on-screen talent what was happening. Like a creeping realisation to Adam Pearce and the commentators just how strategic and awful Roman can be - but it was confused by Nakamura being the one to get the shaft.

It seemed perfectly set up for Daniel Bryan to be the one to get the Reigns treatment.

Roman is fucking tremendous though. I’m glued to the screen when he’s on. He’s like a Samoan mob boss.

I’m not sure Apollo Crews needed the protection he got either. I like that the slap showed Big E has the ability to get nasty with it, but Apollo is so clearly a schlub.

It definitely added to the manipulative Roman side. First doing it to his family but now he's actually doing it to the company. He's got the title. He's got his family in line. Now his ego and control streak is heading out of control.

The Pearce stuff all felt quite logical. It's just one of those things you see a graphic for and it's a bit WTF 2021. But if he's going to be a bit more active going forward then maybe finally KO has someone who'll fight by his side. And not just some random they thought they might call up from NXT.

It was nice to have Nakamura make more effort here in one night than he has in months. I just hope they follow up on it as there's obviously no real plans for him and Cesaro.

It'll be Bryan's time eventually. I'm hoping he gets that Rumble win.

Big E was great but I never took Apollo seriously as a contender. No matter what they try and do with him I just can't get into him.

The tag title match just felt like they'd run out of ideas for Street Profits or something. I don't know. I'm not sure who's looking at Ziggler and Roode and thinking they should be champs. I get that faces mostly work better chasing the belts but I was just disappointed.

• Paid Members

Reigns when he turned to Pearce and was insinuating he was calling him stupid, was truly menacing. This incarnation of Roman is one of my favourite characters in wrestling. He has such a presence about him that you just know he could snap at any moment, it's great that they have given him free reign with his character which clearly shows. 

• Paid Members

Having not watched Smackdown in about two years I was very confused when I saw on Twitter this morning that Roman Reigns was wrestling mid-200s ROH midcarder Adam Pearce for the WWE championship. Very confused, indeed. Didn't even know he was with the company.

It's amazing how much any WWE show gets dissected and ripped apart by fans (no on here) whatever they're given it should be the opposite.

Anyway Reigns was on another level good this week, truly menacing and sincere, I know Heyman is getting praise for Romans promo's but his delivery is on point which is the hard part.

Ziggler and Roode as tag champs is the right move.

No crowds is the best thing that’s ever happened for the Roman character. He is so great that he would be getting cheered and they’d probably think they’ve finally won and turn him back babyface and kill everything good about him. I only watch his stuff on YouTube but to me, he’s the best character they’ve had in 15 years.

2 hours ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Ziggler and Roode as tag champs is the right move.

Im struggling with this one. Maybe they just thought they had more options on the face challenger side than whoever the Street Profits were going to face. I don't think the tag division on Smackdown has much depth at the moment.

I'm surprised Rey and Dominik haven't been used as a team.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Im struggling with this one. Maybe they just thought they had more options on the face challenger side than whoever the Street Profits were going to face. I don't think the tag division on Smackdown has much depth at the moment.

I'm surprised Rey and Dominik haven't been used as a team.

Just feel the Profits were champs forever and it's a welcome change, I'd build Rey and Dom up to win the belts at Mania.

The tag division on both shows is a frustratingly easy fix, loads of guys not up to much, I know it's makeshift teams, but a nice mix of a flyer team (Ricochet and someone), big guys (mace and TBar) , Corbin's crew etc  

• Paid Members

Disagreed. The Profits are about the only act on Raw or Smackdown that don't feel stale or in need of a change. It's something I touched upon in the Jay White thread. Practically everyone on the main roster does and says the exact same thing down to the millisecond every single week. The Profits are the exception. Give them a microphone or hit their entrance music and I'm completely zoned in because they're always going to do or say something surprising and daft and it'll almost always be entertaining.

It's not just Montez Ford, either. It's used to be, but not now. Credit where it's due - Dawkins has come on loads and has clearly been taking pointers as to why his partner is the most exciting prospect in the whole company. Whether it's a stupid walk, a daft strut, spinning your chain around your neck, shaking the ropes like Ultimate Warrior, pulling a dumb face, whatever. The way they constantly change it up and actually feel like real people is an absolute revelation in that company of robots hitting their marks. They're walking GIF generators. I'd have kept them champions for years.

EDIT: GIFS removed after seeing what a pain in the arse they can be.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I'm excited for Adam Pearce, he's looking in better shape than he was during his NWA ROH days which can only be a good thing.

I like how the challengers for Reigns really have been different to what I expected. I am still curious as to who will eventually take the belt from him. With Goldberg tied up with Drew now instead of Reigns I somewhat am expecting the Royal Rumble winner to come from SmackDown, maybe Bryan at last.