The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

Nakamura and Cesaro are the latest #push movement, both should be world champions (luckily wwe have 2 I guess) and get a mega push, kinda want it to happen so fans will quickly turn on them and we don't hear about it anymore.

Same as always Roman was great "I want his chair" and Heyman putting the pen in his hand such great prickish things to do.

KO was expected which isn't a bad thing, maybe Drew vs Goldberg being iffy with drew ill they needed a proper Universal Title match incase.

Otherwise I'd have gone with Pierce Vs RR, Jey interferes, Owens returns to help, then Jimmy returns (he's due back soon) then we have the full Bloodline ready to go into Mania

I can't believe they teased me with Adam Pearce vs Roman Reigns just to rip it away from me like that. Bastards. I mean obviously I can believe it and it was exactly what they were always going to do but still. I'd be a little hypocritical to be too angry about it considering I've wanted them to get behind Kevin Owens and that's what they're trying to do now but yeah, I actually felt a little deflated by the bait and switch. It'll be an enjoyable match but a predictable winner and I think I would've enjoyed the story they could've told with Pearce in the match more.

Nakamura push. Cesaro push. Jey Uso still being pushed despite losing. Bryan getting to wrestle good matches with good opponents and making them look great in the process.

Also Nakamura's old music being back just brings me joy.

Bayley having a chat show. If you'd suggested that a while ago it would've made Vince piss himself laughing.

Billie Kay is wonderful.

I've said for ages that I don't really get Apollo so it's nice to see they're trying to give him an edge. It's definitely the most interesting he has been since joining the company.

Another good show. Most things just feel logical and an easy watch.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Do they use the 8K cameras to shoot the actual action in the NFL? I can imagine that could make for some interesting footage, particularly if you slow it down.

So far it has just been for celebrations after touchdowns and when the players are in the huddle pre snaps. 

Can’t believe some fans are still doing the Cesaro should be world champion meme from 8 years ago. I’m sorry but, moves aside, he is dull as fuck and always has been. Kinda agree with TCE that they should give him a token run so he can go away and we never have to hear about it again.

I watch Romans stuff every week on YouTube. He is just the greatest. It’s such a shame wrestling is dead because this guy should be a megastar.

Edited by Yakashi

1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

Can’t believe some fans are still doing the Cesaro should be world champion meme from 8 years ago. I’m sorry but, moves aside, he is dull as fuck and always has been. Kinda agree with TCE that they should give him a token run so he can go away and we never have to hear about it again.

He has most of the tools to be a legitimate and believable world champ. Physically and athletically he's as capable as anyone in the ring. He just needs that hook to really catch on personality wise. So while I've never been one to cry about him not getting to that level as I completely understand why, I do think it shouldn't take that much tweaking and a persistent push to get him to a decent level. Of all the people that some fans moan about, he is one that I look at and think he could have it but it's just figuring out something that'll get the fans on board.

Just small things like the audience participation on the big swing etc. They're very minor tweaks but look at Drew McIntyre - once he started to get the count behind the Claymore, crowds were warming to him and he really started pushing to that next level. It's the same with a lot of their talent really. Sometimes they just need to experiment with things and see if anything sticks.

Cesaro certainly hasn't been robbed of a world title run because he's never got to that level, but do I think he could? I don't see why not.

In ring Cesaro is one of the best but as you say hasn't found a hook for the fans, I think he spoke about his short comings on Lillian Garcia's podcast and said he's better in a tag team, when you look at his best runs on Indies and WWE is in teams, The Bar was the most I've enjoyed him and they played well off each other.

Not everyone is a main event guy hence swagger, del rio, Ziggler etc being a world champion waters the scene down.

Nakamura had a chance at being a main eventer, fair enough he lost at Mania but he had multiple title matches with AJ Styles and they were mostly average to dull, creative being shit is one thing but bell to bell in on the wrestlers 

Great promo from Owens here on TalkingSmack this week. Whilst I did see them show a clip of Apollo Crews this week, they really should find some time to incorporate some of these promos into Smackdown, or just allow the wrestlers to give these kind of promos on the show itself (rather than on a show not many will watch). The same for Raw; they have three hours to fill and having a few solid promos like these on the show or pre-taped stuff that adds to a wrestlers backstory and character would be great.

I admit I have not seen much of TalkingSmack, but what I have seen seems more natural from those involved, whereas promos on the main shows can feel forced and heavily scripted.

23 minutes ago, DJM said:

Great promo from Owens here on TalkingSmack this week. Whilst I did see them show a clip of Apollo Crews this week, they really should find some time to incorporate some of these promos into Smackdown, or just allow the wrestlers to give these kind of promos on the show itself (rather than on a show not many will watch). The same for Raw; they have three hours to fill and having a few solid promos like these on the show or pre-taped stuff that adds to a wrestlers backstory and character would be great.

I admit I have not seen much of TalkingSmack, but what I have seen seems more natural from those involved, whereas promos on the main shows can feel forced and heavily scripted.

These things just prove what everyone already knows. The guys can be fantastic when they aren’t handcuffed by WWEs shitty way of doing everything. My only conclusion is that either nobody with any power watches these or, if they do, then they think they’re shit and the terrible way they currently do things is better. Imagine how great Kevin could be without being held back. He’s absolutely fantastic.

9 hours ago, Yakashi said:

These things just prove what everyone already knows. The guys can be fantastic when they aren’t handcuffed by WWEs shitty way of doing everything. My only conclusion is that either nobody with any power watches these or, if they do, then they think they’re shit and the terrible way they currently do things is better. Imagine how great Kevin could be without being held back. He’s absolutely fantastic.

You know Talking Smack isn't some kind of pirate show that WWE employees sneak onto, right? Admittedly it would be nice if some of this stuff made it to the main show, but it's still WWE programming. They're not suddenly allowed free speech or whatever. It's all still Vince's product. Plus it's regularly referred to on SmackDown, YouTube, social media etc. It's not some secret society.

9 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

You know Talking Smack isn't some kind of pirate show that WWE employees sneak onto, right? Admittedly it would be nice if some of this stuff made it to the main show, but it's still WWE programming. They're not suddenly allowed free speech or whatever. It's all still Vince's product. Plus it's regularly referred to on SmackDown, YouTube, social media etc. It's not some secret society.

Bless you for still having hope. If you think almost 80 year old vince sees or cares about even 90% of the new stuff that gets put on the network then I don’t know what to say.

He didn’t even know talking smack was a thing until he happened to be at a show and see Daniel Bryan in a feud for a match they could never do and cancelled it. As has been the case for many years, the better their stuff is, the less involvement from Vince there is. Once he gets involved it invariably goes to shit. For example, see almost everything on raw and smackdown and how much worse nxt got once it was turned into a bitter spite show.

Edited by Yakashi

52 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

Billie Kay has me a little bit smitten.

She's someone I've only seen through recommendations and that she's apparently more of a personality than an-ring worker.

Anyway, she's piss funny and it's an absolute shame she's involved in wrestling. She's legitimately funny and really quick on her feet, if she's lucky she might get a New Day pass and be able do her own weird shit without meddling. 

Whilst we're at it, The Riot Squad look a state. Is the blonde one doing a blackface gimmick because someone on the make-up team needs a chat.

Edited by Chili