The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Disagreed. The Profits are about the only act on Raw or Smackdown that don't feel stale or in need of a change. It's something I touched upon in the Jay White thread. Practically everyone on the main roster does and says the exact same thing down to the millisecond every single week. The Profits are the exception. Give them a microphone or hit their entrance music and I'm completely zoned in because they're always going to do or say something surprising and daft and it'll almost always be entertaining.

It's not just Montez Ford, either. It's used to be, but not now. Credit where it's due - Dawkins has come on loads and has clearly been taking pointers as to why his partner is the most exciting prospect in the whole company. Whether it's a stupid walk, a daft strut, spinning your chain around your neck, shaking the ropes like Ultimate Warrior, pulling a dumb face, whatever. The way they constantly change it up and actually feel like real people is an absolute revelation in that company of robots hitting their marks. They're walking GIF generators. I'd have kept them champions for years.

EDIT: GIFS removed after seeing what a pain in the arse they can be.

They're actually a prime example of something that NXT got right when it was developing people and delivering the goods. Dawkins was around for what, 3-4 years before he hit gold with Ford really. They were a team I saw get a fair amount of social media chatter, especially from the Full Sail lot and those in the area, due to their charisma and the vignettes. It got Dawkins out of the stop-start nature of his career that it had been up until that point, where clearly somebody saw something in him but it just wasn't coming.

They haven't changed the act up a huge amount on the main roster if I'm honest, and I'm actually okay with that. It's not to say that they weren't capable of good matches but it was definitely Ford's charisma and the act overall that made them stand out. And actually what continues to keep them going to this day, only as you say Dawkins has really put a lot of work into his fitness and athleticism and understanding what he has to offer in the team rather than just being Ford's sidekick.

They are one of those acts that doesn't feel like an act. Which is probably why they've been compared to the New Day, because those guys do exactly the same. Once that music hits, you feel like they're just coming out and being themselves and it's far easier to invest in. I certainly wasn't ready for them to lose the titles because it really felt like they were on a damn good run with them and making them mean something. It's a far cry from when they started doing their main roster bits and I really thought they'd be yet another call up cockup.

They're exactly where they deserve to be and one of the acts I'm most eager to see live again, as well as this incarnation of Roman Reigns.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Anyway, ADAM PEARCE! Hope he breaks out the one armed singlet

Just heard about this on Twitter! I might watch the Rumble now. I hope he enters the Rumble doing his Repo Man impression in disguise and goes for the WM main event. Imagine how furious CM Punk would be.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I quite like how Smackdown has handled Reign's run so far. Adam Pearce winning will no doubt have upset a few people but it makes sense  that me. Not only is it completely fresh, it moves the booking along nicely, further develops RR's character and it protects to some extent the other talent from the inevitable loss. Nobody would buy Nakamura as a serious threat after months of nothing, this gave him a really strong showing and reminded everyone of what he can do. In the best future, if they circle back to him then he's in a stronger place. It enables them to maybe position Bryan for a rumble win and have Reigns talk about his family and how he was already returned once, he doesn't want to have to retire him again as his family will go hungry etc. It's almost as if they're thinking a wee bit in advance and trying to intertwine a few folks at once which AEW does brilliantly. 

• Paid Members

Seeing that Adam Pearce had won the title shot made me genuinely want to stay up and watch the Rumble. It's just such a completely out of the box idea, and I'm really curious what they come up with. 

The Rumble is the perfect opportunity to give unorthodox challengers a shot, because the Rumble match is the draw anyway - and doubly so this year when Goldberg is fighting for the other belt, so you don't need another big challenger. 

Rumble has been kinda odd for through away title matches, like Holly vs Lesnar, Ziggler vs Punk and Edge on separate years, usually matches to end feuds or keep the title ticking over til mania.

Pearce match if it happens is the perfect match to keep RR strong without beating Bryan or killing of Shin is he continues to get hot.

• Paid Members

I like the Adam Pearce thing because it’s different. Suits Roman’s horrible bully character well. I also think it telegraphs plans have changed and there’s a good chance Daniel Bryan - who seemed destined for the Rumble title shot - might now be winning the Rumble.

It makes sense. If he’s planning on retiring soon they might as well give him one big push that includes the Rumble victory everyone has always wanted for him. Plus, if we’re being honest about Big E, he’s still nowhere near Daniel Bryan as being the top Smackdown babyface.

It would fit WWE perfectly to finally do super babyface Daniel Bryan against mega heel Roman Reigns as the Wrestlemania main event...in front of no fans. Imagine that match a few years ago in front of 80,000 people. Fuck me.

Edited by Supremo

54 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It would fit WWE perfectly to finally do super babyface Daniel Bryan against mega heel Roman Reigns as the Wrestlrmania main event...in front of no fans. Imagine that match a few years ago in front of 80,000 people. Fuck me.

I was thinking this, only about a Rumble win for him itself. All those Rumbles shat on by fans in attendance sulking that Bryan isn't winning it or even in it. To go ahead and do it when fans can't be there feels like the ultimate WWE trollng and although unfortunate and depressing, a little amusing too.

On that note - those saying doing the Pearce deal is perfect on a Rumble card as the Rumble is the real draw, absolutely, but probably even more so when they haven't got to worry about getting fans into an arena at all. And as much as Babyface Bryan vs Heel Reigns sounds like a magic 'Mania main event with a huge audience there in person,  it's an ideal safe headliner in the circumstances also. Bryan has had his moment and only cares about having a wrestle and putting other lads over it seems these days. He's perfect foil that enough people would want to watch to potentially dethrone Reigns, with Reigns going over and continuing his dominance while Bryan likely loses nothing in the process, as they'll almost certainly have an absolute banger even without fans. Probably the best possible pairing to do as such to be honest.

All the while a Big E build gradually develops. I'm all about heel Reigns vs conquering babyface Big E. I'm all about big men slapping meat. But i'm also all about long term storytelling and builds. In the current environment there's no real urgent need or rush to establish someone new to be crowned to cap off 'Mania. Reigns seems to be truly excelling in his current role and in this environment. I'd like that to continue and for him to have a long, dominant reign. And for E to have a similar significant IC title run before stepping up. And hopefully for it all to be timed nicely so that they could slap each others meat at SummerSlam, with maybe even the long shot that there could be some fans there for it if some outside venue dealie can happen by then.

13 hours ago, Supremo said:

It would fit WWE perfectly to finally do super babyface Daniel Bryan against mega heel Roman Reigns as the Wrestlemania main event...in front of no fans. Imagine that match a few years ago in front of 80,000 people. Fuck me.

In the middle of the card like Kofi/Bryan it would be brilliant.

Knowing how Wrestlemania works these days though, it would go on last after a 7 hour show, and therefore it might as well happen in front of no fans as the reaction will probably be the same.

23 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

In the middle of the card like Kofi/Bryan it would be brilliant.

Knowing how Wrestlemania works these days though, it would go on last after a 7 hour show, and therefore it might as well happen in front of no fans as the reaction will probably be the same.

I thought the two day Mania idea wasn't so bad if they're insistent on fitting absolutely everyone on the card and cramming it. Wasn't so much of a slog. Should be better this time round with the ThunderDome at least. Not perfect by any means but still better than what they had.

7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I thought the two day Mania idea wasn't so bad if they're insistent on fitting absolutely everyone on the card and cramming it. Wasn't so much of a slog. Should be better this time round with the ThunderDome at least. Not perfect by any means but still better than what they had.

Yeah I meant a "normal world" Wrestlemania.

Should definitely do a two nighter this year if it has to happen in the Thunderdome, as I think it will be too soon for even a limited crowd to be honest.

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It should be two nights every year going forward. Million times easier to get through as a two-night event.

If they can secure the venue, I see no reason why they won't do this with the accompanying double-ticket purchase for live fans too. Absolute money-maker.