The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Another episode of Smackdown that just flew by. This incarnation of Reigns is truly wonderful. KO taking him out on tonight's show surely is the way for Reigns to retain at the Rumble and keep KO strong.

Bel-air carrying Otis with ease was a great visual and surely she's winning the Rumble? Aside from Rhea Ripley, I can't see any other person that should win it.

• Paid Members

Smackdown is still the best of WWE TV at the moment but this tweet reminded me (in general) that it's all relative. Never before has an advertisement photo contradicted the world 'stacked' as much as this one. Some of the individual stories over the last few weeks have been excellent but when you look at the upcoming Rumble you realise that on the whole, the talent is wafer thin. There's no one that makes me think "This is going to be must see." It's been talked about a lot (including by me) recently but there are literally zero stars. 

For all the talent they have under contract it just feels as if there's no depth. The storylines, with the exception of Roman/Owens, are so shallow there's no reason to care. We're not heading into the Royal Rumble with issues to be settled, no overlapping storylines, it's all a bit weak. I've said it before but if they could do a fraction of what AEW does with their story arcs it would lift the standard of everything immeasurably. 

Smackdown's closing segment was phenomenal again. This was a reminder that with a bit of creative discretion, Owens can be fantastic. Really strong and while the outcome of his title challenge isn't in doubt, there's been enough tidbits to make me invest in seeing it through. 

Big E getting hurt by poor booking, was looking forward to another cracker with Apollo Crews. If they just let them go at it they could do so much with Cesaro, Nakamura, Zayn all in good form there could be a few months decent storylines around the US Title. 

Very much a holding show here for me this week. Yes, it "flew by" as others have said but there are shows that fly by that you don't want to end/are surprised has ended and ones that fly because nothing's happened and for me, this is the case here. 

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Info

One of those shows which wasn't overcomplicated and didn't need to be. Simple, mostly logical booking that moved on storylines, followed character motivations and built them all towards something. That's something that RAW often lacks.

The twists and turns of the Roman/Heyman/Pearce/KO stuff worked really well. Firstly I was quite excited by a Heyman/Pearce match, then I just loved the tables being turned back in Roman's favour and I was all in on a Roman/Pearce match. Then by the time KO came back I was totally invested in him kicking Roman's arse and making him look like a chump. I just love the whole dynamic of all of it and everyone's playing their parts to perfection.

Cesaro shouldn't be allowed a mic really. I know he needs to develop in that area, which really means finding himself as a character, but it was pretty painful this week. Bryan on the other hand captured everything I love about the Rumble in his promo. Ziggler telling everyone how many Rumbles he has been in just made himself look like a loser though. Idiot. A decent enough short match with Ziggler and Cesaro but I find it hard to enjoy anything with Dolph these days. At least it wasn't Kofi.

The Bayley/Belair stuff was predictable but not in a bad way. Things don't need to be 'clever' or 'shocking' all the time, and you knew Bayley was setting something up, but it still worked. Bianca still got to look freakishly impressive and Bayley managed to look like a sore loser, giving Bianca more motivation to get back at her. Nice and simple face/heel dynamics.

I'm glad they're doing something with Dominik as a wrestler again as they moved away from that and did that soap opera crap for so long. Sure he lost but nothing wrong with giving him an arc of learning under his dad and developing more, unless they decide to turn him heel unnecessarily. Probably knowing them.

I still love Billie Kay and the Riott Squad need to be nicer to her damnit. She tries her best.

I hope Reginald gets to be in the Rumble and do some flippy shit.

I didn't really care for Apollo and Big E again so thank you Sami Zayn. He's a genius.

Love it when two internet favourites wrestle its like a glitch in the Matrix, Saw comments of Cesaro vs Ziggler that they were happy he won but wanted Dolph to win too and should win next week in a rematch, 50/50 booking at its finest and they wonder why guys aren't as over as they should be.

Roman just continues to grow in his role, really want him to keep the belt aslong as possible, even through Mania if he's still this standard.

It's weird that SD feels like there's not enough time for everyone and Raw seems to drag.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Cesaro shouldn't be allowed a mic really. I know he needs to develop in that area, which really means finding himself as a character, but it was pretty painful this week. 

He's been wrestling for almost 21 years now, I think that ship has sailed.

36 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

He's been wrestling for almost 21 years now, I think that ship has sailed.

But what is his character? I have no idea. I don't feel like he has one. I get that he's been around for ages but if they want to push him as a singles star, they just need to give him a bit of depth. Not saying it'll work or anything but it's something they need to consider.

Jericho's a great example of longevity plus changing things up successfully. Admittedly far better than Cesaro ever has but it's never too late to find that something different to catch on.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

But what is his character? I have no idea. I don't feel like he has one. I get that he's been around for ages but if they want to push him as a singles star, they just need to give him a bit of depth. Not saying it'll work or anything but it's something they need to consider.

Jericho's a great example of longevity plus changing things up successfully. Admittedly far better than Cesaro ever has but it's never too late to find that something different to catch on.

Cesaro is the wrestling equivalent of a jock strap.

He serves a valuable sporting purpose, but he’s always going to look awkward and wrong, he can’t talk and no one will ever be excited to see him.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I enjoy Cesaro. His promos don't particularly bother me these days, particularly when I saw him on the new day pod and realised that's just what he's like. The Austin Powers joke was pretty bad though, gotta be said.

I'd say he'd be perfect for a manager, but they tried that with Heyman and it didnt work. Hed be better being the strong and silent type, but wwe doesnt do that well. Always enjoy his matches though, and he feels fresh in the upper mid card after tag teaming for so long, so I shan't complain 

• Paid Members

Cesaro is absolutely perfect for them. He can work with anyone and their hardcores will be interested. He'll fill 2 mins or 20 mins of TV time. He can flit between singles and tags. He can be heel or face. He can work anywhere from the opening match to the occasional main event. And he needs barely any writing resource because he can't deliver it anyway.

There's little wonder he's been there so long doing mostly the same thing. It just works.

Cesaro has to be there a good 10 years now too, not a snowballs chance in hell he'll ever be able to deliver a decent promo at this stage. He was most entertaining when he was tagging with Swagger and Dirty Dutch did their talking for them. Did he have Heyman as a manager at some stage too? Cesaro is so bland I can't honestly remember. Rehashed Dean Malenko music, the stupid tear away suit, berets, Cesaro section, and the annoying ambulance theme tune. So many low effort attempts at defining some sort of a persona and none ever worked.