The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

That last half an hour of SmackDown really fucking hurt my brain.

It doesn’t help that the commentators aren’t following the basic beats that keep convoluted stories like that going.

They didn’t pick up on the fact that the reason Sami was out protesting was because it was the same ref who was in charge when he lost the IC title. That was pretty integral.

But, yeah, the knots they twisted themselves in just to get lots of people out there as a Rumble prelude was mad.

I do wonder whether they think that’s AJ and Bryan’s level? For me, they felt like stars and were surrounded by people miles below their level. 

Like we started with grade A Scotch, and the more people came out the more it was diluted with, first, cheap whiskey, then coke, then water, then piss.

I adore Roman Reigns.

It doesn’t feel like Bryan is a favourite to win now, which is a shame as babyface Bryan versus heel Roman sounds fantastic to me. The way they’ve hammed up Bryan having not won one, I guess he’s going to get cheated out of the Rumble by whoever he eventually faces at Mania.

If they're going with Edge vs Reigns at Mania, then Edge and Christian vs Roman and Jey could be a good match for Fast lane or Chamber or E&C and Owens Vs RR and Usos.

Another solid week I thought, Heyman jumping when Roman shouted was great.

Big E needs a new challenger in the mix.

Ziggler and Roode rocking the 2001 HHH jacket, I could see Rey and Dom going for the tag titles at Mania.

Roodolph vs Mysterious vs Profits vs Usos would be a really good match

I actually thought that was a very good wrestling show.

Roman is so good, I now want nothing more than Edge vs Reigns. I’ve never really considered it as an angle, but Reigns character getting increasingly irate at the reverence paid to legends/part timers and feeling disrespected by that could be a very fun run through Mania.

I’m not sure why they need to persist with Kevin Owens/Reigns though. That feels over.

I appreciate what Daniel Bryan is trying to achieve on the way out, but god he’s cooling himself off. He just seems to lose all the time. Maybe they’re going for the ‘have I still got it?’ story where he picks an opponent for Mania and if he can’t beat them he’ll retire, but difficult to work out who that person should be. AJ Styles, maybe?

I thought the triple threat was great.

It’s the most WWE thing of all time that they brought Christian back at the Rumble, it leaks that he’s cleared to go... and then they just don’t use him. Poor Christian.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

The KO Reigns feud continuing is a bit silly since he's been beat 3 times in various style matches, but having 9weeks of TV between rumble and Mania with 2 ppvs in-between they need filler to keep the champs ticking over especially the Rumble winners opponent.

If they don't go with the tag scenario I suggested them maybe have Roman batter Edge and take him off TV for a few weeks, Christian could be added at that point if they wanted.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’m not sure why they need to persist with Kevin Owens/Reigns though. That feels over.

One of the things about wrestling that annoys me is when the guy who loses just moves on. I like the idea of KO just going "I know you've beaten me a hundred times but I'm still coming for you". God loves someone who tries

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I appreciate what Daniel Bryan is trying to achieve on the way out, but god he’s cooling himself off.

This kind of thing wouldn't have been tolerated in the 80s.

1 hour ago, Mr Kennedy said:

I saw Hulk Hogan was trending on Twitter earlier. Did he really have a segment on the show directly after a Black History Month video?

He sure did. In fact, he had a longer segment that was cut down, so they catered to their fans' desires by uploading it to YouTube.

No idea what Hulk brings to a show in 2021. I guess in terms of 'throwing shit at the walls' ,you may as well throw the biggest, most successful shit of them all.

55 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

The KO Reigns feud continuing is a bit silly since he's been beat 3 times in various style matches, but having 9weeks of TV between rumble and Mania with 2 ppvs in-between they need filler to keep the champs ticking over especially the Rumble winners opponent.

Smackdown has been good recently, but WWE’s tendency to prolong feuds to this extent really does make it hard to get excited about what you’re watching. It doesn’t help Roman and it doesn’t help Owens either. You know Roman probably isn’t going to drop the title before Wrestlemania, so why not at least vary the person he probably isn’t going to drop the title to?

Since winning the belt in August he’s only feuded with two people for the title, with the Drew McIntyre being for bragging rights. Compare that to the range of opponents who Jon Moxley and even Kenny Omega faced in that time. And it’s not like WWE couldn’t shake it up a bit. On Smackdown alone you have Rey Mysterio, Daniel Bryan, Nakamura, Cesaro, Dominic Mysterio, Big E, Otis, and perhaps even Murphy on the babyface side. Granted you’ll want to avoid ploughing through some of these matches, but there’s no need for them to take the tedious approach that they do.