The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Somehow? This is Edge we're talking about here. One of the most boring main event babyfaces of all time.

Indeed. It seems that the majority of us have taken the nostalgia glasses off and realised what we're actually left with. It was an incredible moment when Metalingus hit at last year's Royal Rumble, I think we were all happy that he was able to have his moment and go out on his own terms. Unfortunately the match with Orton was absolutely honking and he's made the decision to stick around - this raises the obvious question of "Where does Edge fit in the current WWE environment?" and naturally the performer and the WWE have decided back in the main event scene. 

There's no need for it. Yes he could stick around and do the grizzled vet thing on a semi regular basis, getting involved in the odd midcard feud, building up one of those titles to put someone over, but that wouldn't massage the ego enough. 

There's no benefit to him taking the title or being involved as he's not going to "make" Reigns, he's already established. Nor is he going to make Bryan although a one off match with him wouldn't be terrible. I just don't see how they'll get any mileage out of him in the main event.

I am probably the biggest Edge fan on this board, but yeah.. fuck all the way off.

If they STILL go to Roman/Edge at Mania, I’ll be utterly convinced that the writers hate us and want us to be miserable.

Like, it SEEMS like they’re going to do Roman/Bryan at Fastlane and Edge might cost Bryan the title and turn heel, leading to a triple threat. But who fucking knows with this company. Miz is champion on the red brand and he’s feuding with Lashley, McIntyre and/or Bad sodding Bunny.

If they don’t go triple threat, what happened last night is an absolute abomination.

Bryan, deservedly, gets a chance at another shot only for Edge to moan about it. Then, in the main event, Bryan gets beat down by Roman and Edge - the babyface headliner of Wrestlemania against Reigns who we all KNOW is there - doesn’t appear. 

If they still find their way to babyface Edge vs heel Roman, it’ll be an outrage.

In the EC thread, I joked about what they’d do if they had crowds for this stuff as I thought they’d be shitting all over Edge now. But, even without crowds, I wouldn’t be surprised if they pulled the  ‘Bryan 101’ cord and made him face Jey on night one (or even Jimmy and Jey in a handicap match) to get entered into the main event of night two against Roman/Edge. Or, if Edge is fucking off after Mania, Bryan vs Jey night one, entered into night 2 and Jimmy returns to help Roman. Thus, we leave Mania with a proper Bryan vs the Family feud.

If nothing else, it’d give Jey the meaningful spot on the card he deserves.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

If history has taught us anything, Fastlane is probably going to end up being Edge vs. Daniel Bryan. Edge will win clean. Daniel Bryan will raise Edge’s hand and endorse him.

None of it will work.

Edited by Supremo

I've genuinely got no idea what they're doing. I quite like it just because it's not very predictable right now. But it's also just a bit weird and confusing really. The way Edge was behaving. The not coming out to help at the end. All of that stuff. I'm curious to see where they go with it but yeah it's all a bit odd.

I did enjoy Cesaro's swing.

You know what?

I don’t think I’ve ever praised Cesaro or Seth Rollins.

Long time users of this board will remember that I coined the phrase ‘Twat siren’ to describe Cesaro’s old music. 

I hate his big stupid boring face, boring voice, overall Uncoolness and offence that I don’t buy as either a babyface or heel.

Seth, I’ve just never got.

That said, I really enjoyed that segment.

When an intense Cesaro flipped on Seth and went for a swing rather than just punching him in the face I groaned... but... but... fuck me, I pissed myself laughing at that swing. The fact that Seth kept hold of the mic, yet took his coat off. Everything. Really stupid and funny. Loved it.

Also @Supremo you’re probably right about them doing Edge/Bryan at Fastlane. They’ll likely see it as a way of Edge shaking off some of the ring rust with someone who can take him to a good match. Also, considering Edge apparently won the Rumble because he suggested it and he’s on record as saying he wants to work Bryan and AJ, it would make sense.

Sake.

The calculation may be that you can delay Bryan/Reigns till after Mania as they’ve always considered Bryan’s appeal to be limited to internet perverts who are watching whether it’s Mania season or not, whereas they might be banking on Edge to bring in others. Maybe.

Just feels mad to so heavily be leaning into Reigns/Bryan, which is such an exciting feud, just to pull the rug out before Mania.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Why oh why didn't they just give Daniel Bryan the Royal Rumble win?

Remember back in the 90s when people would say all Vince cared about was what Stone Cold was doing that week? I get the same impression with Roman these days, only it highlights how far gone Vince is. Especially during Wrestlemania season. Every year Roman's character seems to exist in this mad fever dream. Everything gets so convoluted and re-written. You end up with two or three angles going on at the same time that seem to contradict each other.

It's the biggest tell yet of Vince's cognitive decline. The people he focuses on the most end up being trapped in this web of confusing nonsense. If you didn’t know better you’d think he was cooling them off on purpose. The same thing happened with Becky Lynch. She was on fire until she became the most important thing in the company leading into a Wrestlemania, at which point the dementia booking kicked in.

And when all else fails? Just do the smarky workrate heroes vs. part timers angle again. CM Punk references, too. Vince, mate. You’re broken. Give it four weeks and somehow this is going to end up being another Authority angle. Edge will turn heel and end up being Vince’s, “chosen one.”

Edited by Supremo

At this point, I doubt even Edge wants Edge to be involved in this Roman Reigns/Daniel Bryan story.

That opening promo was electric, and even though it hit the same beats we’re used to when Bryan is in a too level feud it was exciting because of the calibre of the talent involved.

I wish Edge didn’t exist right now, only because Jimmy returning to cost Bryan at Fastlane only for Bryan to get a shot at redemption at Wrestlemania is so beautifully simple and perfect.

If Adebisi Crews doesn’t come out with a new hat and Big E doesn’t come back back as Kipekeme Jara, I’ll be very disappointed.

Surely Bryan is getting added to the Wrestlemania match. They can’t just be building to Bryan/Reigns at Fastlane and then hope to savage something out of an Edge/Reigns singles match in the 3 weeks leading to Wrestlemania. 

4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

They can’t just be building to Bryan/Reigns at Fastlane and then hope to savage something out of an Edge/Reigns singles match in the 3 weeks leading to Wrestlemania. 

It’s WWE. They did exactly the same thing as this only six years ago.

With two of the same people.

“You step on my lawn... I BULLDOZE YOUR HOUSE!”

That’s about it really. Fucking hell, such promise in Big E. it’s just a shame he’s in the same orbit as Baron Corbin, Sami Zayn and Apollo Crews.

I don’t hate the idea of Roman/Bryan/Edge triple threat. They’ve at least made it logical and somewhat interesting, if they do go that route. Edge is still hugely in the way, though. It’s a shame it’s come to this.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

“You step on my lawn... I BULLDOZE YOUR HOUSE!”

That’s about it really. Fucking hell, such promise in Big E. it’s just a shame he’s in the same orbit as Baron Corbin, Sami Zayn and Apollo Crews.

Working with Apollo Crews has done wonders for Crews, plus it's given Big E a legit heel threat for people to get behind him. It's not the worst way of using him.

Corbin and Zayn are sort of just there, but at least Zayn makes sense from a logical title perspective, and again he's a solid heel opponent.

With so much going on at the top end at the moment, I do think it's better they're using Big E solidly at the mid-card level with the title than have him getting lost in the shuffle elsewhere. He'll do just fine once it's time to step up.