The Smackers Thread

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Honestly, right now, the most exciting thing about the Wrestlemania card is Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn going one-on-one. Talk about a potential show stealer! Have those guys ever had a bad match? I half recall they had an absolute belter on a B show once.

They had a match at a PWG show in Orpington that I still think is the best match I've seen live to this day.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't forget: the clocks changed last week so if you want to record Smackdown you probably need some professional help.

What a Mark. 

Rob Gronkowski's ring entrance in an empty arena was the most embarrassing and cringy thing I may have ever seen as a wrestling fan. And thats coming from somebody whose parents were in the room when

Posted Images

I only watch the Edge/Bryan/Roman bits every and think they've made it work pretty well in the end. The set up and execution this week was very good for modern WWE standards. As long as they don't  do something daft like put the belt on Edge and the in arena fans at Mania shite all over it then I'd chalk it up as a success. Its the only match I've any interest in at Mania anyway, barring a Brock return.

There seems to be a very vocal anti-Daniel Bryan contingent on wrestling twitter. Quite a few #FuckDanielBryan type hashtags and wrestling journos confusingly questioning what’s going on.

I do wonder if you’re a very young internet wrestling fan, and didn’t live it, whether it’s possible to even ‘get’ Daniel Bryan properly.

Maybe to some youngsters he’s just like your dads favourite wrestler and so to you he’s just the WWE’s ‘favoured’ talent who ‘books himself’ into high profile matches.

Crikey.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
  • Paid Members

I’ve not been on Twitter but I’m not surprised people are turning on Bryan. In just as much as Edge has been harmed by them learning nothing from Batista at Wrestlemania 30, Bryan is well on his way to being harmed from them equally learning nothing from crowbarring Charlotte in at Wrestlemania 35.

Going around the houses the way they have has harmed everyone and diluted everything. I don’t particularly care about either guy’s quest for the belt anymore. They all come across as unlikeable, moaning dickheads.

When there was talk of somehow settling this between Night 1 and Night 2 at Wrestlemania I was dying for someone to decide to do the Triple Threat on Night 1 and then fuck everyone off and do Roman vs. Brock on Night 2. Being a proper star in who hasn’t cried his way to Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, rockbus said:

They had a match at a PWG show in Orpington that I still think is the best match I've seen live to this day.

I was there too, great match. Though apparently Sami Zayn hated it and yelled at Owens afterwards because he was trying to get sympathy from the crowd when selling but Kevin kept having funny interactions with the crowd and killed off all his heat.

• Paid Members

Even just using clips from their time in WWE I think there’s an excellent video package to be made for Zayn vs. Owens. Both have done an incredible job of always crossing paths and making their rivalry and history together feel important. I imagine they’re chuffed to be getting a Mania match.

6 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

There seems to be a very vocal anti-Daniel Bryan contingent on wrestling twitter. Quite a few #FuckDanielBryan type hashtags and wrestling journos confusingly questioning what’s going on.

I do wonder if you’re a very young internet wrestling fan, and didn’t live it, whether it’s possible to even ‘get’ Daniel Bryan properly.

Maybe to some youngsters he’s just like your dads favourite wrestler and so to you he’s just the WWE’s ‘favoured’ talent who ‘books himself’ into high profile matches.

Crikey.

Funniest thing about reading Daniel Bryan "backlash" from certain sections of the WWE fanbase is that they think Roman Reigns vs Edge is a dream match. 

7 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Crikey.

I'm a big Daniel Bryan fan, but from a kayfabe perspective there does seem credibility to the injustice that Edge is pointing out: Edge won the Royal Rumble from the number 1 position.  Daniel Bryan was in that Rumble and didn't win.  Bryan has since lost two WWE title matches (non-clean admittedly).  Why should Edge's reward for winning the Rumble be significantly reduced now that he has to share the Mania main event with Bryan (and by WWE's logic reduce his "chances of winning" from 50% to 33%)?

I hate seeing the Rumble winner prize being devalued by the title match turning into a triple threat, or not main eventing Mania.  Has happened too much the past 15 years.  But on the other hand, I do think adding Bryan will make the match, crowd reaction, and maybe build better.  So overall I'm neutral on the change to the triple threat.

9 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

Funniest thing about reading Daniel Bryan "backlash" from certain sections of the WWE fanbase is that they think Roman Reigns vs Edge is a dream match. 

I would genuinely love to know their reasoning for it being a dream match, only thing I can think of is them both using the spear as a finisher

• Paid Members

Surely the term 'Dream Match' is subjective? I wouldn't personally say Edge / Roman is a dream match of mine, but I would presume that my dream matches would be different to the next guy. 

Edge should have gone for the Raw belt and made Drew / Bobby / Edge rather than Roman. By going to Smackdown, all it seems to have done is diluted everyone involved. Imagine Reigns as the dastardly, monster heel he was a few months against Daniel Bryan 1 on 1 with Bryan going over? That would have been great. 

You can tell that WWE are still not treating this Wrestlemania as the spectacle it usually is (maybe for fear that fans may be stopped from entering at any time) the build for every match so far has been terrible. When the celebrity match is the one with the most story and build behind it, that says it all. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I would genuinely love to know their reasoning for it being a dream match, only thing I can think of is them both using the spear as a finisher

Honestly, I think it's because WWE said it was one.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Edge vs. Roman could've been a dream match if promoted properly.

Edge could have came out on the first episode of Smackdown after Royal Rumble and categorically stated that he wanted to test himself against the biggest star to emerge since his retirement. He's not here to play games or mess around. He's here to prove he's the best and to do that he's planning on beating the best. Straight off the bat he could've challenged Roman, Daniel Bryan could have been traded to Raw, and they could have cut promos on each other for weeks on end. Both guys are proven to be excellent promos, give them the simplest of stories and this could've been huge.

Instead, Edge did a tour of the fucking company like someone trying to pick a date for prom, played second fiddle to a far more interesting story involving a far more engaging character in Bryan, seemingly aged about three decades in the space of a month and then everyone ended up in this convoluted battle of the sulkers.

Edited by Supremo
  • Paid Members
16 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

It was literally weeks ago everyone was hyped for a Roman/Edge Mania match after Romans promo a week after the Rumble.

WWE was hyping it up but I don't think anyone was actually hyped for it.