The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, rockbus said:

They had a match at a PWG show in Orpington that I still think is the best match I've seen live to this day.

I was there too, great match. Though apparently Sami Zayn hated it and yelled at Owens afterwards because he was trying to get sympathy from the crowd when selling but Kevin kept having funny interactions with the crowd and killed off all his heat.

• Paid Members

Even just using clips from their time in WWE I think there’s an excellent video package to be made for Zayn vs. Owens. Both have done an incredible job of always crossing paths and making their rivalry and history together feel important. I imagine they’re chuffed to be getting a Mania match.

6 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

There seems to be a very vocal anti-Daniel Bryan contingent on wrestling twitter. Quite a few #FuckDanielBryan type hashtags and wrestling journos confusingly questioning what’s going on.

I do wonder if you’re a very young internet wrestling fan, and didn’t live it, whether it’s possible to even ‘get’ Daniel Bryan properly.

Maybe to some youngsters he’s just like your dads favourite wrestler and so to you he’s just the WWE’s ‘favoured’ talent who ‘books himself’ into high profile matches.

Crikey.

Funniest thing about reading Daniel Bryan "backlash" from certain sections of the WWE fanbase is that they think Roman Reigns vs Edge is a dream match. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

There seems to be a very vocal anti-Daniel Bryan contingent on wrestling twitter. Quite a few #FuckDanielBryan type hashtags and wrestling journos confusingly questioning what’s going on.

I do wonder if you’re a very young internet wrestling fan, and didn’t live it, whether it’s possible to even ‘get’ Daniel Bryan properly.

Maybe to some youngsters he’s just like your dads favourite wrestler and so to you he’s just the WWE’s ‘favoured’ talent who ‘books himself’ into high profile matches.

Crikey.

I'm a big Daniel Bryan fan, but from a kayfabe perspective there does seem credibility to the injustice that Edge is pointing out: Edge won the Royal Rumble from the number 1 position.  Daniel Bryan was in that Rumble and didn't win.  Bryan has since lost two WWE title matches (non-clean admittedly).  Why should Edge's reward for winning the Rumble be significantly reduced now that he has to share the Mania main event with Bryan (and by WWE's logic reduce his "chances of winning" from 50% to 33%)?

I hate seeing the Rumble winner prize being devalued by the title match turning into a triple threat, or not main eventing Mania.  Has happened too much the past 15 years.  But on the other hand, I do think adding Bryan will make the match, crowd reaction, and maybe build better.  So overall I'm neutral on the change to the triple threat.

9 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

Funniest thing about reading Daniel Bryan "backlash" from certain sections of the WWE fanbase is that they think Roman Reigns vs Edge is a dream match. 

I would genuinely love to know their reasoning for it being a dream match, only thing I can think of is them both using the spear as a finisher

• Paid Members

Surely the term 'Dream Match' is subjective? I wouldn't personally say Edge / Roman is a dream match of mine, but I would presume that my dream matches would be different to the next guy. 

Edge should have gone for the Raw belt and made Drew / Bobby / Edge rather than Roman. By going to Smackdown, all it seems to have done is diluted everyone involved. Imagine Reigns as the dastardly, monster heel he was a few months against Daniel Bryan 1 on 1 with Bryan going over? That would have been great. 

You can tell that WWE are still not treating this Wrestlemania as the spectacle it usually is (maybe for fear that fans may be stopped from entering at any time) the build for every match so far has been terrible. When the celebrity match is the one with the most story and build behind it, that says it all. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I would genuinely love to know their reasoning for it being a dream match, only thing I can think of is them both using the spear as a finisher

Honestly, I think it's because WWE said it was one.

• Paid Members

Edge vs. Roman could've been a dream match if promoted properly.

Edge could have came out on the first episode of Smackdown after Royal Rumble and categorically stated that he wanted to test himself against the biggest star to emerge since his retirement. He's not here to play games or mess around. He's here to prove he's the best and to do that he's planning on beating the best. Straight off the bat he could've challenged Roman, Daniel Bryan could have been traded to Raw, and they could have cut promos on each other for weeks on end. Both guys are proven to be excellent promos, give them the simplest of stories and this could've been huge.

Instead, Edge did a tour of the fucking company like someone trying to pick a date for prom, played second fiddle to a far more interesting story involving a far more engaging character in Bryan, seemingly aged about three decades in the space of a month and then everyone ended up in this convoluted battle of the sulkers.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

It was literally weeks ago everyone was hyped for a Roman/Edge Mania match after Romans promo a week after the Rumble.

WWE was hyping it up but I don't think anyone was actually hyped for it.

Typical that they've finally nailed the Roman Reigns character, he's sharing the ring at Wrestlemania with Daniel Bryan, and I'm not excited at all. With all that intertwined history and a story right there for the taking. Because instead, bloody Edge won the Royal Rumble, and it went about as well as expected. Not only does he look knackered, but he must be the only guy on the planet that has zero chemistry with Roman. As opposed to Bryan who has chemistry with absolutely everyone. So we get some bungled together three-way with a never-has-been and a Daniel Bryan that's spent the year being solidified as a mid carder. Crap.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

a never-has-been

I know “Edge was never the big deal WWE pretend he was” is a pretty common flag to fly these days, but I think this is pretty harsh. Guy was on top for ages on and off, had plenty of great matches and a fair few genuinely memorable feuds and great moments, and was World Champion many times including a spell where he was the best bad guy in the company taking in a lengthy feud with The Undertaker that went on last at a Mania. He’s definitely been.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I know “Edge was never the big deal WWE pretend he was” is a pretty common flag to fly these days, but I think this is pretty harsh. Guy was on top for ages on and off, had plenty of great matches and a fair few genuinely memorable feuds and great moments, and was World Champion many times including a spell where he was the best bad guy in the company taking in a lengthy feud with The Undertaker that went on last at a Mania. He’s definitely been.

Such a weird chasm in Edge opinion, always either an all-time great or an overpushed nobody and rarely in between where the truth lies.

Once Edge won the Rumble, him and Roman made perfect sense because of the disposition of the two champs. In fairness, there wasn't really anyone on their roster going into the Rumble who would have made a marquee Mania match. With hindsight, it should have been Lashley, then they could have avoided the whole Miz mess.