The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

19 minutes ago, FUM said:

I'd love to see Jey Uso cost Roman the belt now and then start cutting promos about how Roman didn't acknowledge him.

Just won the Andre and Roman rocked down to mention it in passing taking all the credit.

That would be the perfect 'out' for Roman if he is dropping the title. It was cool seeing Jey get this win, he's had an unbelievable year.

SmackDown continues to be the flagship show. Some excellent promos and build up from Edge, Bryan and Big E also.

Jesus, that was a pitch perfect fantastically executed promo by Bryan that explained everything behind his motivation for Mania, didn't belittle his opponents either & hyped the shit out of the match. I would bet money it wasn't written by a team of writers or mad auld Vince either. Great stuff.

Edited by DCW

15 minutes ago, DCW said:

Jesus, that was a pitch perfect fantastically executed promo by Bryan that explained everything behind his motivation for Mania, didn't belittle his opponents either & hyped the shit out of the match. I would bet money it wasn't written by a team of writers or mad auld Vince either. Great stuff.

I thought his promo was fantastic and then Edge did a really great one too. That version of his character is far easier to buy into than any other. Yeah it's still a bit strange we've got the triple threat but all three guys can do incredible go-home promos.

Cracking promos from Big E, Bryan, Roman and yes, Edge. A rare glimpse of how good it can be if they'd get out their own way.

The main event stuff was typical WWE though, where it's the heels that sound like they were in the right. Edge in particular felt justified when he painted Bryan as the annoying indie knobhead that weaselled his way into HIS main event. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bryan gets booed at Mania.

In fact, by the end of Roman's belting promo it felt like this was all by design. That final crescendo of Reign's promo might be the peak of this awesome character. Him saying Edge and Bryan would "hear a million dollars of pyro shoot off and then hear the whole world acknowledge him", made this whole thing click in my head, and got me thinking this was all an elaborate ploy. As Roman wrecks the underserved indie brat and leaves the washed up has-been laying, finally he'll close Wrestlemania to thunderous cheers. Finally he'll have the marks and smarks alike ACKNOWLEDGE HIM as the top babyface star in the promotion.

• Paid Members

Fair play. For a Wrestlemania that has one of the worst lineups of all time, and almost zero momentum going into it, this might have been one of the best go-home shows for Wrestlemania of the last decade. Belting promo after belting promo. I’m fucking IN.

59 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Edge in particular felt justified when he painted Bryan as the annoying indie knobhead that weaselled his way into HIS main event. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bryan gets booed at Mania. 

The thought did cross my mind when I started looking over the people behind Bryan on the screen and some were clearly booing him.

I quite like the fact it'll be an unpredictable crowd this weekend. We really don't have a clue how they're going to react to anything at all.

Loved them all, but Bryan won it for me. Before he even got into it, him going on about looking forward to WrestleMania made me look forward to it. That part reminded me of his "So let me tell you some of the things that I love" part of his retirement speech. What a wonderful dude. 

The Heyman/Edge segment on Talking Smack was sensational.

Seriously go out of your way to see it, so intense, even the Mrs who was in the room with me and has no interest stopped what she was doing to listen to it, captivating stuff.

• Paid Members

That Battle Royal had less star power than those 40 man Rumbles on Superstars in the early 90s. I'm all for these lads getting a payday but if that doesn't hammer home how much they need to stop every fucker and his dog ending up on the Mania card then I don't know what will. 

And christ, the commentary too. Notsn original thought but Cole just sounds like the soundbytes from the 2K games these days. While flicking through the tag match, first thing I heard was him getting the name of the Dirty Dawgs wrong. Nice tribute to JR.

32 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

And christ, the commentary too. Notsn original thought but Cole just sounds like the soundbytes from the 2K games these days. While flicking through the tag match, first thing I heard was him getting the name of the Dirty Dawgs wrong. Nice tribute to JR.

A fair amount of Cole's commentary sounded a bit off to me throughout the show, beyond how robotic he usually is. Not sure if it was recorded at different times or something.

• Paid Members
On 4/10/2019 at 8:37 PM, PunkStep said:

That'd be a shame, Rhea should be ripping it up in NXT on her own as soon as Shayna makes the jump. She's going to be a major player in the women's division in the main roster.

Arrows.

1 hour ago, Doog said:

Seriously go out of your way to see it, so intense, even the Mrs who was in the room with me and has no interest stopped what she was doing to listen to it, captivating stuff.

I did go out of my way to watch this, and I'm very glad I did. Talking Smack is a thirty minute programme, apparently, but I wouldn't have known if I didn't check. He appears about ten minutes in and then it just flies as you're engrossed in their interaction.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Doog said:

Fair play.

I think that the WWE is generally garbage these days, but I've switched over to a dodgy WWE network feed now and its just been playing. 

I don't even like Edge but that was brilliant. I'm genuinely interested in watching the match.

Edited by garynysmon

Cesaro’s suit was a crime. I’m delighted that whole thing seems to have been a bait and switch to further Rollins/Cesaro.

The lads done well for himself, and I don’t hate him as much as I used to, but fuck sake... he’s a midcard act with a cute little gimmick. Leave it at that. Cesaro isn’t main event and Vince clearly falling in love with that UFO move he does, doesn’t change that.

Seriously, they showed that clip a thousand times during the show.