Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

It isn't just being spoken as a phrase, but people in my office have the cheek to sing it on occasion as well. "Living ma best liiiife!" 

As I limp agonisingly closer to 30, youngling musings such as these irritate me much more than they probably should. 

Editing of films on TV.

Back to the Future is on Channel 4 at the minute and the scene were Doc and Marty do the first time travel in the Mall Car Park cut the line “When this thing gets up to 88mph, you’re going to see some serious shit”. Now I can understand editing around “shit”, but when the experiment works and you’ve got Doc screaming “what did I tell you!? 88 miles per hour!”...well, you didn’t tell us anything. They cut an integral plot point completely. 

2 minutes later, it’s apparently fine to show Doc get machine gunned to death by the Libyans though. Fuck knows what they’re going to do when Biff gets a bit Robin Thicke and tries to sexually assault Lorraine at the dance.

Just put it on at a suitable time and not half four in the afternoon

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

My least favourite edit ever is in Bottom episode Death. I forget which medium has the edit but somebody thought "gyppos" might offend someone who's chosen to watch Bottom so Richie's line clumsily becomes "Thieving bastard yobbos."

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

My least favourite edit ever is in Bottom episode Death. I forget which medium has the edit but somebody thought "gyppos" might offend someone who's chosen to watch Bottom so Richie's line clumsily becomes "Thieving bastard yobbos."

I had burnt out the video of that episode and was surprised to hear it had been edited on the DVD. 

• Awards Moderator
14 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Back to the Future is on Channel 4 at the minute and the scene were Doc and Marty do the first time travel in the Mall Car Park cut the line “When this thing gets up to 88mph, you’re going to see some serious shit”. Now I can understand editing around “shit”, but when the experiment works and you’ve got Doc screaming “what did I tell you!? 88 miles per hour!”...well, you didn’t tell us anything. They cut an integral plot point completely

The weird thing is an official edit exists of BTTF. They recorded non-PG lines twice for that very reason. In that version he says "you're going to see some serious stuff." See also: "what, do we become jerks or something?" 

Edited by Onyx2

6 hours ago, Slapnut said:

The phrase “living my best life” is really fucking me off lately.

Most annoying is when a shedload of articles and Twitter Moments latch onto and thoroughly milk the hip phrase of the nanosecond, with headlines like "Beyonce living her best life on the red carpet," etc.

14 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

The weird thing is an official edit exists of BTTF. They recorded non-PG lines twice for that very reason. In that version he says "you're going to see some serious stuff." See also: "what, do we become jerks or something?" 

I also remember a TV showing of it many years ago where he said "some serious cheese". I remember it vividly because he says fucking cheese.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

A channel might not necessarily have that version though, and it's generally easier/cheaper to edit their existing version rather than order the correct one. 

4 hours ago, gmoney said:

A channel might not necessarily have that version though, and it's generally easier/cheaper to edit their existing version rather than order the correct one. 

This is something I got to thinking earlier after seeing some of the replies in here. I don’t remember it ever being on Channel 4 before yesterday. I can remember seeing BTTF on BBC, Sci Fi Channel (pre Sky Digital days) and it’s lived on ITV/ITV2 for the last few years.

———————————

People on Twitter seem to have taken to posting about something, then repeatedly writing “don’t say it” before then saying whatever they were not going to. It’ll probably be gone in a week or so, but fuck me it’s annoying 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Just got back from the shops, so here's a couple.

People who shuffle around hunched over pushing the trolleys with their elbows. There may be a genuine medical issue, you may be weak and frail, but bending your spine into a dangling 'f' and putting all your weight onto something that could roll away from under you at any instant is not going to do you any good. If you're on your phone while doing it, not looking where you're going and wobbly-wheeling off to the left, fuck you, you oblivious lazy bum.

People walking forwards but looking at the shelves, in a busy aisle. Again, look where you're going. It's bloody-mindedness and concern for my own safety that I think fast and side-step you instead of marching on and getting a crotchful of your basket.

People leaning back in the middle of the aisle to look at the lower shelves. You have knees. I'm 6'4". If I want to look at something on a low shelf, I'll take a knee off to one side. No wonder everyone ends up with fucked backs and hips. Use it or lose it.

Decide whether you want what you've picked up before walking off with it too. If you do decide you don't want that jar of Dolmio, take it back to the Foods of the World aisle; don't just abandon it in the budget brandies. It's not the floor workers' job to tidy up after you like a child.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Just got back from the shops, so here's a couple.

People who shuffle around hunched over pushing the trolleys with their elbows. There may be a genuine medical issue, you may be weak and frail, but bending your spine into a dangling 'f' and putting all your weight onto something that could roll away from under you at any instant is not going to do you any good. If you're on your phone while doing it, not looking where you're going and wobbly-wheeling off to the left, fuck you, you oblivious lazy bum.

People walking forwards but looking at the shelves, in a busy aisle. Again, look where you're going. It's bloody-mindedness and concern for my own safety that I think fast and side-step you instead of marching on and getting a crotchful of your basket.

People leaning back in the middle of the aisle to look at the lower shelves. You have knees. I'm 6'4". If I want to look at something on a low shelf, I'll take a knee off to one side. No wonder everyone ends up with fucked backs and hips. Use it or lose it.

Decide whether you want what you've picked up before walking off with it too. If you do decide you don't want that jar of Dolmio, take it back to the Foods of the World aisle; don't just abandon it in the budget brandies. It's not the floor workers' job to tidy up after you like a child.

You need help.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

As someone who spent around seven years working in retail, I can 100% tell you that yes, it is their job to keep the shop floor tidy, and that includes blocking, facing and re-locating goods back to their homes.