Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I've never heard of it..... time to get on Google 

It's recently come into focus because Mike Leigh's made a film about it. I haven't seen it yet, but intend to.

EDIT: Just realised in my reply to @Keith Houchen that I forgot to mention France - they've had a series of slap-downs over the years, both from their former colonies and other imperial powers.

Edited by Carbomb

33 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Maybe my school was unusual but they did teach us the Peterloo massacre in schools. We spent half a year on 19th century British politics. Great Reform Act, chartism, Corn Laws and Peterloo were all major parts of that. I assumed it was part of the curriculum but so many people have never heard of it.

I'm an old fucker though so it's no doubt changed since I was at school, in fact I'm so old I'm probably on the history curriculum.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Makes it very difficult for me to follow it whilst hanging the washing on the airer though.

Turn on AD. 

"Allan Avery ambles around his garage like a chimpanzee. He growls at a vice."

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

EDIT: Just realised in my reply to @Keith Houchen that I forgot to mention France - they've had a series of slap-downs over the years, both from their former colonies and other imperial powers.

France have their own form of smug exceptionalism, that's not really any more bearable than the English variant. One thing that I don't think has been touched on in an otherwise spot-on chat about post-Empire national mood is that Britain is an island, which gives its nationalism a different flavour to that found in other European countries, I find.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

France have their own form of smug exceptionalism, that's not really any more bearable than the English variant. One thing that I don't think has been touched on in an otherwise spot-on chat about post-Empire national mood is that Britain is an island, which gives its nationalism a different flavour to that found in other European countries, I find.

That is definitely true, although I get the impression they're a bit more aware to a certain degree, simply because they seem to have a lot more cultural texts these days that mock or criticise their imperial history (for example, when the crew behind The Artist, Hazanavicius et al, re-engineered OSS-117, their version of James Bond, as a comedic buffoon with heavily satirised imperialist arrogance). But yeah - they have plenty of shit in their locker. One thing that still astounds me, and I'm flabbergasted that the French left haven't done anything to change it, is that naturalised first-generation immigrant French citizens still can't vote - second-generation onwards only.

As to the UK being an island creating a different kind of nationalism, yeah - I'd definitely agree with that. It's probably closer to American nationalism, as both the UK and USA have traditionally been very difficult countries to invade.

Something that really annoys me to a stupid extent and maybe says more about me than this actual thing but when you’re driving and come to a junction where there’s two lanes, one to go left, one to go right, and people are in these lane and indicate to show they’re going that way...but they’re in the right turning lane so obviously that’s the way they’re going, the car is pointing that way, there’s no need to bloody indicate.

i think just driving in general annoys me but that’s another story.

• Paid Members

In fairness, I'd take people indicating when they don't need to over people not indicating when they do. Best to just keep in the habit of it, really.

Equivalent complaint for me - there's a crossroads near my flat, have to cross it on my way to work. It's astonishing how many people that are driving straight across indicate that they're turning left. So you end up seeing them indicate, figuring it must be safe to cross, and nearly getting run down, and them acting as if you did something wrong. Fuckers.