Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

"I wonder if any of my friends will be BRAVE enough to share this if you think BRITISH history should be taught in schools AGAIN!!!" 

Teenagers getting warts and all descriptions of all the atrocities we carried out during our Empire building days? Yeah,that'd be well received at home.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The new definition of literally meaning an exaggeration is in the OED now, so it's probably not going away any time soon. Language evolves. 

Disgusting, that. Word might as well be dead.

An odd one that I hope can explain - when you're waiting patiently for a gap in the traffic to cross the road, and then that last car in the queue stops to wave you across.

I know they're trying to be nice, but all it does is make me feel awkward that they're unnecessarily holding themselves up when both of us would have been on our way quicker if they'd just driven on. It also usually leads to the will-you-won't-you game where I wave at you to go, you wave at me to go, then I step out into the road and you start driving, so I stop, and you stop, and so on, and so on.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

An odd one that I hope can explain - when you're waiting patiently for a gap in the traffic to cross the road, and then that last car in the queue stops to wave you across.

Yes. I have one at bus stops at rush hour where I've just disembarked and I want to cross the road. Occasionally the still-parked bus will flash for me to cross before he pulls off. OK dickhead, except I cant see the cars that are about to come around you and potentially hit me, or if the road behind you is clear. I need you to fuck off so I actually can look both ways before crossing. Probably look ungrateful or ignorant ignoring the driver's signal, which I hate.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Disgusting, that. Word might as well be dead.

Not really, there are other words that mean essentially the opposite of itself (sanction, splice, bolt) we just happened to be around when this one developed. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Not really, there are other words that mean essentially the opposite of itself (sanction, splice, bolt) we just happened to be around when this one developed. 

If literally no longer has to mean literally, how does the person specify that that's actually what they mean without further clarification? It's rendering the word meaningless. Absolutely horrible. If someone uses "literally" in the workplace for instance I.e. number of tasks outstanding, how long something's "literally" going to take them, I take that at face value. Now I'm going to have to waste time checking they're not being a contrary prick, saying literally when they don't mean it.

There is another meaning to splice other than join?

EDIT - Never mind. Dutch.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

If literally no longer has to mean literally, how does the person specify that that's actually what they mean without further clarification? It's rendering the word meaningless. Absolutely horrible. If someone uses "literally" in the workplace for instance I.e. number of tasks outstanding, how long something's "literally" going to take them, I take that at face value. Now I'm going to have to waste time checking they're not being a contrary prick, saying literally when they don't mean it.

Context, and interaction. 

There is another meaning to splice other than join?

To split.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Context, and interaction.

"I've got literally hundreds of emails to get through."

Every time I hear that, I've got to ask them if it's accurate or exaggeration.

Awful. Word is redundant and we have to stop thinking Jamie Redknapp is an imbecile for using it wrongly and just let him. Stop the world, I want to get off.

• Paid Members

People using" he's" instead of his. I don't know whether it's an etymological thing, but it just never looks right. My sisters and nieces do it all the time.

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Proofreading.