Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Future historians reviewing this time period will spend half their energy figuring out whether photos are back-to-front or not, as so many smartphone manufacturers don't appear to see any value in flipping a selfie once it's taken.

That's left to the user to do manually at a later stage, which invariably doesn't happen, so modern records are awash with backwards text, scars and piercings on the wrong side, and a disproportionate correlation between vanity and left-handedness.

On a side note to this. An old photographers trick for doing corporate headshots was to flip the photos because the subject sees it as how they 'really look' (due to mainly seeing themselves in a mirror and instinctively likes them more. Doesn't happen as much today in the digital age but i know a few people who flipped proofs when they were trying to sell them. 

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Photos don't come out mirrored when taking with your front facing camera. I just tested! I think you are getting confused with pictures taken in mirrors. 

So either I've completely imagined seeing enough examples of this to make me bother posting about it, or - possibly - your phone isn't representative of every other phone out there.

I'll continue this thought in a moment, but there's some pillock the other side of the sink who thinks it's funny to dress like me and copy my every move, so he's about to get lamped.

• Moderators

It's an old model Samsung, so likely representative of a pretty big share of the market.

The point is, though, it's literally just a camera facing towards you rather than away. I don't understand why it would be any different than the back camera in how it works and why a phone manufacturer would intentionally choose to process the images in any different way. Unless they are doing what chokeout says, and actually flipping it on purpose so the user sees themselves as they would expect to in a mirror?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Why does modern hold music sound like it's being broadcast from the other side if the world, via a seashell? If hold music is supposed to soothe you while you wait for hours, listening to heavily distorted versions of songs isn't the best way to go about it.

• Paid Members

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I still reckon that hold music is designed to be so nauseating that it makes you hang up, but not so blindingly obvious about it so they don’t have Metal Machine Music or something like that chewing your ear off. 

I did wonder that actually, but didn't want to come off all Dynamite Duane. My council play about 20 different clips telling you about the services, play a bit of muzak and then about 5 minutes silence. It repeats after that. It's like an endurance trial.