Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Awards Moderator

Quite bespoke to me but: seeing American recipes dominate recipe searches in Google. If I'm searching for pumpkin pie or tater tots; fine. But just looking for anything else and being confronted with 'sticks' and 'cups' and 'quarts of heavy cream' winds me the fuck up with their oversweet, overseasoned tastebuds.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Quite bespoke to me but: seeing American recipes dominate recipe searches in Google. If I'm searching for pumpkin pie or tater tots; fine. But just looking for anything else and being confronted with 'sticks' and 'cups' and 'quarts of heavy cream' winds me the fuck up with their oversweet, overseasoned tastebuds.

As resident spud whisperer, can you explain cups to me? I just find it a fantastically unwieldy unit of measurement. 

• Awards Moderator
Just now, Gus Mears said:

As resident spud whisperer, can you explain cups to me? I just find it a fantastically unwieldy unit of measurement. 

They are a standard measurement which are good for some recipes, but in very specific cases. There is a set of cups you can buy, but here's the kicker: cups of dry matter are different to cups of wet matter. And there is no consistency of whether this should packed in, levelled off, heaped etc. 

Websites that aren't dumb (e.g. Serious Eats) translate everything into pounds and ounces which isn't perfect but is closer to something workable. And using cups for baking is utter nonsense.

At it's heart is a decent idea of ratio: twice as much flour to fat etc. But a cup of broccoli? What is that? Just the florets? it's just flawed.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Gus Mears said:

It's simply meant to be units of proportion. If a recipe calls for, say, 1 cup of flour and 2 cups of sugar, it just means that it's a ratio of 1:2 for flour to sugar. The cups system was intended to make cooking simpler; if you had to vary the amount you were cooking, the cups meant you could adjust accordingly.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

As if using the power of maths to double the ounces of flour would somehow be too complicated.  It does let you cook without scales as long as you use the same cup.  Just don't use a mug for your flour and then a teacup for your dried fruit.

Well, yeah - I personally would just use maths, but I guess for some people it might be a stretch, particularly for adjustments that weren't whole multiples, i.e. 1.5x, 2.5x, etc.

• Awards Moderator
46 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The cups system was intended to make cooking simpler

Except there is such a thing as a standard cup, which has a gram value. So what have we simplified here? 

And YAY American cup measurements are different to Australian ones, which are different to Canadian ones. 

On Saturday I was getting ready to go out for a Halloween party. I spent ages painting my face in a corpse paint style and got suited up. I then picked up my phone to see I have got a text from my mate who was hosting the party saying that he was cancelling it, because his son was ill. Why did he wait until gone 7 to tell everyone? Also after washing off the makeup, I woke up on Sunday morning with panda eyes. I had to wait until gone 10 for a supermarket to open to quickly buy some makeup removal wipes.