Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

Two other particular grammar peeves, and one vocab one, although having done linguistics at various points in my academic life over the years, I'm fully aware of language change, and that my annoyance really is just my problem:

1. Saying "less" for things that are numerable. "Less people", "less problems"; should be "fewer". "Less" is the comparative of "little" and "least" - you wouldn't say "little people" or "little problems" to say there aren't many, and conversely you wouldn't say "much people" or "much problems" either. But "less" is increasingly being used, and it's all over adverts and various media.

2. "If you would have done this, that would have happened" instead of "if you had done this..." This is all getting bogged down in the nebulous concept of the subjunctive, which, strictly speaking, English doesn't technically have, and is really just a bit of nitpicking for grammar wonks, so I can only really say it's just an irrational (but still minor) annoyance.

Vocab peeve:

People calling music or anything you hear "iconic" (which is for things you can see), as opposed to "anthemic" (for things you hear). But, again - nitpicking really. I'll just continue to internally wince and pray such people step on a Lego.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Actually I think that is the politically correct term, now.

See, I saw this coming, which is why I followed up with "to say there aren't many". Takes a punster to catch a punster.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Actually I think that is the politically correct term, now.

Is this another rotten Americanism that has crept in? I'm certain I've only heard it used in TV and films made in the States.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz
Ironically used an Americanism in this post! ("coming 'out of'")

• Paid Members

People who make jokes in the comments underneath comedy posts on Facebook. I mainly see this under VIz or Onion headlines, so for something like the below:

izYWNCa.jpg

You get a load of Carbomb's saying things like "Enough bigoted reporting Onion, Ghosts have rights too!" or "Fred's ghost is polling at 52% in Florida!". I have never read on of these comments and thought "that was a good line, you have contributed positively to this" or crucially, laughed. The ones you get under Viz posts are always pub jokes you've heard a million times. I wonder if people think they're going to get job offers from it. 

5 hours ago, gmoney said:

People who make jokes in the comments underneath comedy posts on Facebook. I mainly see this under VIz or Onion headlines, so for something like the below:

izYWNCa.jpg

You get a load of Carbomb's saying things like "Enough bigoted reporting Onion, Ghosts have rights too!" or "Fred's ghost is polling at 52% in Florida!". I have never read on of these comments and thought "that was a good line, you have contributed positively to this" or crucially, laughed. The ones you get under Viz posts are always pub jokes you've heard a million times. I wonder if people think they're going to get job offers from it. 

Maybe they're just entertaining themselves for two precious minutes of an otherwise soul crushing existence?

Before you ask: no, I've never been to the Viz or Onion Facebook pages.

• Paid Members

Bi-monthly airport annoyances post.

Though this one is so specific it probably doesn't count as a trivial thing, I'm going to file it under "people who don't give the slightest fucking thought to whether their selfish actions are inconveniencing other people".

So I'm at the airport, queuing in WH Smiths. It's a tiny branch, with no proper till, just three self-service checkouts. There's usually one or two members of staff just floating around to help out when someone invariably can't use the machine.

A woman in front of me tries to pay, and it comes up with an "approval needed" message for one of her items. She waits all of ten seconds before snobbily shouting out, "HELLO? DOES ANYONE WORK HERE?", and ten seconds more before stomping off to her (presumably) husband, and asking if he can see anyone working there. She then proceeds to cut in front of me as another checkout becomes free, and try and scan the same item on a different checkout, as if this one might let her get away with it. When that comes up with the same message, she storms off, leaving all her shopping scattered across two checkouts, both now showing the "approval needed" message. Slowing up the queue no end, because now there's only one working checkout. Absolute fucking weapon.

Then, flight is delayed, I'm waiting around, and seemingly everyone in the room I'm in is either on their laptop, phone or tablet, and not one of the fuckers has apparently ever heard of headphones. I just can't fathom how you could be so self-absorbed as to not think that maybe not everyone within a 100 metre radius of you wants to hear what you're watching on TV, or that if you're using Facetime rather than just phoning someone, not everyone needs to hear the other half of your phone conversation.

• Awards Moderator
37 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Documentaries that entirely use blocks of text and graphics for background and linking sections.  I'm sure Netflix could have put up a few quid for a voiceover in Making a Murderer 2.

The point of this in a show like that is not to bring in a voice outside of the narrative - so you are only following voices of the people involved. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, deathrey said:

A very very narrow portion of British history is taught. I'm sure if Empire was taught, it would be taught through such rose tinted spectacles that they would be bright pink 

I'd say that it's because they know there's no way of putting positive spins on the Amritsar/Golden Temple massacre, the systematised slave trade, the theft of Africa and Asia's resources, the rape of Ireland, and the numerous ways the aristocracy and bourgeoisie have conned the working class into thinking their causes are the same while committing countless atrocities against them, amongst a myriad of objectionable acts of Empire.

Hell, we live in a country where Churchill was voted "Greatest Briton", and people still actively defend the concept of the British Empire. If that isn't an indictment of the teaching of history in this country, I don't know what is.

Edited by Carbomb