Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

If you were in London and were planning to go to Scotland , what way would you phrase it ?

Joking aside, I have said "up" to Scotland (although I tend more just to say "to Scotland"), but again - that's my conditioned thinking. And again: I'm not saying we shouldn't, just that it's worth taking a look at to ask ourselves why we accept it.

Here's an odd one: I have heard some people from the north of London say "up" to London. They said it was because they were from the countryside, and therefore they considered cities to be "upwards". 

41 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's an interesting thought experiment at best, fucking tedious at worst.

I've lived in Jersey for the better part of 20 years, having grown up in t'north, and I will never get used to people saying "going up to London", though. London is not somewhere you go "up" to.

What if you live south of London ?

• Paid Members

Well, that's my point. I couldn't be much more south of London without being in France, but to say "up to London" feels incredibly odd. You go up North, and down South. London is the South. Despite me being further south.

21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Well, that's my point. I couldn't be much more south of London without being in France, but to say "up to London" feels incredibly odd. You go up North, and down South. London is the South. Despite me being further south.

Gotcha . 

Edited by RancidPunx

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

Living in Devon, if it's not in Cornwall you travel up to it, Bristol is up north to me

And on the occasions that Exeter have played Bristol City or Rovers, chanting 'You dirty Northern bastards' at them has always made me smile. 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, RancidPunx said:

If you were in London and were planning to go to Scotland , what way would you phrase it ?

If you were getting the train, you would be going down - on the railway, we use UP to mean going towards London regardless of which compass point you're coming from

Edited by courageous

• 3 months later...

British people who say “period” at the end of sentences when they should be saying “full stop” or who say “zee” when they should be saying “zed”. You’re not American.

16 hours ago, LCJ said:

British people who say “period” at the end of sentences when they should be saying “full stop” or who say “zee” when they should be saying “zed”. You’re not American.

I think Americanisms used by British people could be a thread on its tbqhqft

Apologies for the double post however:

I've seen a lot of Instagram posts recently - all of them from women so far, but I'm sure I'll see one from a man soon enough - with "pig snout" or "pig face" emojis ostensibly to convey gluttony.

Not a problem really, only they're each related to a picture of a bowl of pasta, a single margherita pizza, or in a spectacularly inane example - a fucking falafel salad! 

If I lashed up a picture of one of my cheat meals or a Maccies order when I've had a skinful you'd need a whole bloody farmyard emoji.