Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Saying that any decade of music is shite should be an unpopular opinion. Or any year. Damning an entire year's artistic output, let alone a decade, is genuinely bewildering to me.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

80s metal is also top notch, but I can understand people hating a decade if they only know the TOTP version of the decade.

That's the thing. It wasn't all Stock, Aitken and Waterman (although some of their stuff was ace) and cheesy dance-pop (so was a load of that). The growth of indie pop and rock, hip-hop and rap, house and acid house, the peak of electronica - amongst other things. Madness dismissing the whole thing because you don't like Showaddywaddy or something.

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, it featured Talking Heads, NWA, Stone Roses, Erasure, Run DMC, Springsteen, Depeche Mode, Pixies, New Order, the Cure, Flock of Seagulls, the Blazing Saddles, Echo and the Bunnymen, Pet Shop Boys, Public Enemy… and they’re just the ones that come to mind in a 60-second splurge. You could throw shade at the 90s for the utter shit it peddled around the great output that’s talked about.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

The 80's gave us Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now. 

Gets a pass from me just for that.

Astounds me that the female singer on that was the lead for Jefferson Airplane.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Astounds me that the female singer on that was the lead for Jefferson Airplane.

Starship was a supergroup of JA, Crosby & Nash and Grateful Dead members that started as Jefferson Starship, then dropped the first word after one of the JA originals got the hump (both 'Nothing' and 'We Built This City' were done after the split). But yeah, that's quite the run.

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
On 3/1/2022 at 10:07 AM, Sphinx said:

From my view, as someone born in the 90s, the 80s is well overrated.

That's because you take for granted that which was groundbreaking for us 80s kids.

Like the "home computer".

We also had a shit load of great movies. Indiana Jones, Rocky, Aliens, The Goonies, Commando, ET, Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Predator, Terminator. 

It was a great era, and really exciting one to be a kid in.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The stage was now set for a the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hover-craft

Stop remembering TV and get back to work. 

I find Dave Grohl annoying. The Foo Fighters are OK I suppose (not to me, but I can sort of see the appeal) but Dave's 'aw shucks' routine really grates on me. He's so Rock and Roll he loves Obama.

Also the whole thing around him now 'Oh everyone loves Dave Grohl' is doubly irritating (though not his fault)

Edited by Factotum