Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

This begs a question: where on earth do you get blackcurrants from??

Nearly made this point re: hating original Ribena - that’s where most of the country’s blackcurrants end up, but last summer I got to take home the last of the crop at a nearby “pick your own” farm so we could make some sweet treats.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If he was still alive, Rik Mayall would be joining John Cleese on GB News moaning about woke. 

That's a tricky one. I can definitely see an argument for that, but he was such a chaotic guy, I could just as easily have pictured him going even more lefty.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

That's a tricky one. I can definitely see an argument for that, but he was such a chaotic guy, I could just as easily have pictured him going even more lefty.

He was well against the EU and was very little England towards the end. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

He was well against the EU and was very little England towards the end. 

A lot of left-wingers are anti-EU, so that in itself isn't the indicator for me, but the latter - yeh, fair enough. A shame really.

15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

A lot of left-wingers are anti-EU, so that in itself isn't the indicator for me, but the latter - yeh, fair enough. A shame really.

Well it’s just an opinion but I really wouldn’t have been surprised. New Statesman was an attack on Thatcherism of course, but I suspect he would be a bit gammon. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Well it’s just an opinion but I really wouldn’t have been surprised. New Statesman was an attack on Thatcherism of course, but I suspect he would be a bit gammon. 

New Statesman was far back enough as to be meaningless, really, when you see how right-wing some of the old performers have gone. Same with anything Cleese did, although he never did anything, even back then, that would've been considered particularly lefty - from what I remember, he was a member of the Lib Dems for a long time before joining the Greens.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

New Statesman was an attack on Thatcherism of course,

Did that do a short comeback run of shorts or a stage show taking the piss out of new Labour in the Iraq war days of the early 2000s or was it an "evening with Fawlty Towers" type thing?

Edit: Apparently they did

The writers said they had considered the idea before but only now was the Labour Party unpopular enough - and right-wing enough - for the idea to work 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/news/alan-b-stard-signs-up-to-become-a-new-labour-statesman-6106096.html

I think Keith's just being swayed by those bombardier bitter ads he did, and his Japanese impression in Hogs of War. 

Edited by Tommy!

29 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

think Keith's just being swayed by those bombardier bitter ads he did, and his Japanese impression in Hogs of War. 

And the dressing up as Hitler so we didn’t adopt the euro.