Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• 3 weeks later...

From my view, as someone born in the 90s, the 80s is well overrated.

Music wise, it's distinctive for the sounds of certain synths, drums drenched with reverb, and that new wave singing style but that mostly sounds dated and fatiguing for me if listened to for a length of time.

I'm all for cheese but Stock-Aitken-Waterman are gash and the novelty songs were gash. I'm aware there's naff novelty songs from other decades but it seems like the 80s had a lot and I still hear Agadoo from time to time and I don't hear, say, the 70s ones.

The 80s revival and its rubbish fashion was going on whilst I was in college and going to clubs for the first time too.

Also, Thatcher and Reagan were in power.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I don't know if it's unpopular everywhere, but it certainly is on this forum - Over the last couple evenings I stuck on Scrubs in the background on Disney+ whilst working and I think it's still pretty decent, as I did watching it the first time out many years ago.

There's a MASSIVE decrease in quality after the highs of the first four seasons. Season 5 still carries the last actual good episode/arc with;

Spoiler

Cox losing three patients at once, his downfall and comeback (although I still feel like this was rushed and should've been a bigger story spread over the season)

but the signs of characters bending to fit the stories, and a haphazard, slapdash approach to the actual comedy marks that season as the end of the road. Every other season after that is a bigger dogshit pile than the last, right through to it's bitter end.

Hell, even the much-loved season 3 falls short for myself nowadays because the writers throw a Russo-riffic curveball at the end that makes subsequent rewatches a chore (that in itself is related to JD's quick progression from 'awkward, self-centered nice guy' to 'selfish, self-pitying wanker'. The sheer amount of cunty behaviour on his part is astounding, and we're still expected to sympathise with and root for him).

Believe it or not, despite all the above, I sill love the show even if most of it is nostalgia (my Scrubs code is 21435678....9). I won't watch it on Disney Plus as they removed most of the copyrighted soundtrack, but I'll still delve into the first five tomes on DVD every few years.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Moderators

I am still on the first season but I am intrigued to see when it starts to fall apart as I don't really remember. I just remember at some point I realised I wasn't enjoying it anymore and stopped watching, and I'm not even sure which season it was when I tapped out.

I never really cared for the mawkish middle of the road American rock soundtrack so that won't hurt the rewatch for me.

This is one of the forums least likely for it to be an unpopular opinion but Limp Bizkit were a decent band. John Otto's a class drummer, Wes Borland makes great riffs and has a unique sound, Sam Rivers is fine as a bass player, DJ Lethal's hip hop samples worked well. Fred Durst was who made Limp Bizkit a punchline but without him they're not Limp Bizkit - the irreverent attitude and the energy.

I saw them live nearly ten years ago and they're in my top ten acts I've seen live (I loved them as a kid and I still go back and listen pretty regularly which helped).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

I saw them live nearly ten years ago and they're in my top ten acts I've seen live

I saw them live about 10 years ago and they were one of the worst bands I’ve seen. I was so disappointed. Like you, I loved them as a kid and would listen to them regularly as well. I don’t think I have ever since. 

• Paid Members
On 3/1/2022 at 10:07 AM, Sphinx said:

From my view, as someone born in the 90s, the 80s is well overrated.

Isn't this general consensus rather than unpopular opinion? 80s music has always been described as mostly cheesy shite and 'the decade in between the great decades of 70s and 90s'. Beyond nostalgia, the 80s in general is considered shit. Because it was.

Now an unpopular opinion would be saying that 70s music is shit.

Edited by PunkStep