Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So if you have never paid attention to it, how can you make these assumptions? Nothing Compares 2 U, I would Die 4 U, Sexy MF, Gold, all different all great. Amazing live performer, and you should check out the Grammy Tribute they did for George Harrison or his Superbowl half time show. An absolute masterclass

This is the unpopular opinions thread. I've posted an unpopular opinion. There's no need for all these tears. 

39 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Well it's a springboard for a bit of discussion really, but much to get all defensive because people want to talk about it. 

Most of the discussions sprouting from this thread haven't resulted in lengthy exercpts from autobiographies being posted, though... 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Most of the discussions sprouting from this thread haven't resulted in lengthy exercpts from autobiographies being posted, though... 

You're right, that's one of the better replies in this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
On 8/8/2018 at 2:27 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Soda stream was better than proper pop.

No longer an unpopular opinion - Pepsi just bought SodaStream for $3 billion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-20/pepsico-to-buy-drink-machine-maker-sodastream-for-3-2-billion

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-20/pepsico-to-buy-drink-machine-maker-sodastream-for-3-2-billion

if they release a make at home Cherry Pepsi Max syrup I may well be in trouble

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Yeah I saw that. Be interesting to see where they go with this. I can only assume that Soda Stream have a massive audience in a particular country/zone. Surely they could have launched their own equivalent for that price. So Soda Stream must be doing ok somewhere.

The only people who buy them these days in the U.K. are surely the middle age generation, with a few quid to spend on crap kitchen items, that never se the light of day.

I’m surprised it’s not a JML product sat unscathed in a derelict Woolworths to be honest. 

3.2 billion??? Fuck me.

• Moderators

They've head a marketing push recently. They're going with the environmentally friendly angle now as the selling point. I think it is as simple as Pepsi speculating on the value of that gimmick. Makes sense with all the plastic ban stuff.

I'm pretty sure the price they got it at is cheaper than developing their own from scratch and then competing with soda stream (who would just get bought by Coke anyway if Pepsi were at all successful).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I fucking hate Sherlock Holmes. Every incarnation, without exception. He's the biggest, smuggest, most unlikeable twat in fiction. Crime is my favourite genre of things but I can't stomach him one iota.

• Paid Members

The oversaturation of that character in recent years has put me off watching anything to do with Sherlock. Guy Ritchie films (where obviously Sherlock is a badass that can beat anyone up, because Ritchie), the BBC series with Benedict Cumberface and that awful looking show with Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu- it's overkill. I didn't even know about that new Will Ferrell and John C Reilly adaptation.

The Mega CD game is the best thing to do with Sherlock Holmes.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I fucking hate Sherlock Holmes. Every incarnation, without exception. He's the biggest, smuggest, most unlikeable twat in fiction. Crime is my favourite genre of things but I can't stomach him one iota.

If you get the chance, there are a couple of Star Trek Next Generation episodes that are Holmes based, I think you'll really really like them.

5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

The oversaturation of that character in recent years has put me off watching anything to do with Sherlock. Guy Ritchie films (where obviously Sherlock is a badass that can beat anyone up, because Ritchie), the BBC series with Benedict Cumberface and that awful looking show with Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu- it's overkill. I didn't even know about that new Will Ferrell and John C Reilly adaptation.

The Mega CD game is the best thing to do with Sherlock Holmes.

The Johnny Lee Miller show Elementary looks awful, but amazingly it's not.  It's dead good - miles better than Benedict Cumberbatch's awful camp nonsense that competes with Dr Who for the worst shit the BBC has ever done.

Miller makes a great Holmes, and that's rather surprising.  He's got a wonderful set of physical tics and traits that sell the oddness of the character without being supernaturally odd like most Holmes'.  The relationship with Lui makes the whole thing a lot more watchable as it's an interesting push-pull without being sexual.  And they don't fuck about, they have a really interesting mystery every week and Holmes solves it in ways that actually make fucking sense.

Throw in the occasional smoking hot Natalie Dormer appearance (and the fact that Lui is still incredibly cute) and it's a great tea-time tv watch.  Obviously, if you hate the whole concept of Holmes then you won't like it, but as someone who assumed it would be utter shit, I have to say it's now one of my favourite "blanket" series.

Edited by Loki