Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Having an fairly star studded cast and decent backing was probably a big reason for Scream's success, wasn't it? Slash horrors were fairly low budget and indie up until that point, and/or done-to-death series like Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween. Then Scream came along and seemed to reinvigorate the genre. It was still shit, mind you.

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Roasted meat is ok at best.

You are doing it wrong. 

Unless you are vegetarian, it's the best thing to eat. 

Meat roasted really well with just salt and pepper is a thing of beauty. Beef with a brown crust, a wibbly bit of fat and blushing pink meat is simply sublime. Chicken roasted to perfection with golden skin and succulent inside is simply great. Etc. Etc. 

If you've had it made properly, it beats anything. Anything. The enjoyment far outweighs the effort. 

#GreatBrexit

Edited by Onyx2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

Wes Craven is very much in the Ridley Scott camp for me. Some cracking early work, mixed in amongst a lot of misses and some genuine shit. 

I assume we're counting Wishmaster as one of his masterpieces.

Edit: yeah, I know he only produced it. But it is great

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I assume we're counting Wishmaster as one of his masterpieces.

Edit: yeah, I know he only produced it. But it is great

I watched Wishmaster last week, I have a proper soft spot for shitty horror. It’s like a really long, gory episode of the Twilight Zone. 

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Having an fairly star studded cast and decent backing was probably a big reason for Scream's success, wasn't it? Slash horrors were fairly low budget and indie up until that point, and/or done-to-death series like Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween. Then Scream came along and seemed to reinvigorate the genre. It was still shit, mind you.

The opening scene of Scream is a fucking masterpiece though.   It's much studied by filmmakers for its style.  Plus killing one of your biggest stars before the titles is a pretty cool thing to do,

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, chokeout said:

Monster Squad

Was discussing this with a mate recently. Bloody great film, and criminally un-remembered by so many people, it seems. The Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square recently did a couple of showings of it, which I had to miss. Was kicking myself; would've loved to see it on the big screen again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Probably going to catch some flack for this one but, cheese boards. Cheese in general, cheese culture. Just the entirety of it. Overly pretentious nonsense.

Thank fuck the board doesn't have a downvote option anymore. 

There's a report button though...

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

Probably going to catch some flack for this one but, cheese boards. Cheese in general, cheese culture. Just the entirety of it. Overly pretentious nonsense.

Thank fuck the board doesn't have a downvote option anymore. 

Yeah, I hate cheese.  It ruins everything.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Richard said:

That's basically the culture of anything that has developed a culture though. Cheese, wine, craft ale. If it can be consumed then generally the people that comprise the "community" of that consumable (as opposed to just being "I like Beavertown beers, me") have a pretty high wanker quotient.