Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Sure, but I mean when you have people talking about doing something extra to actually give a roast dinner flavour. Like 'a roast is great when you glaze the carrots with honey'. Sure, but 90% of roast dinners where you just boil them until they turn white and resemble baby food, they taste of nothing.

I have literally never had a roast dinner like this and I've sampled from many a different table and even the odd carvery. 

It's like that shitty 50p pizza you often find at kid's parties and cheap buffets. That isn't what pizza is and you'd be foolish to think that 90% of pizzas are just that. You've been brought up on bad roast dinners mate, accept it and move on.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I'll clarify that like I said, I've had really nice dinners, but at the end of the day you're taking plain food and covering it in so much gravy that it all tastes of gravy.

I like all the ingredients in a dinner more in other dishes than collectively in a dinner.

• Paid Members

I've had roast dinners cooked by my wife, my parents, both sets of grandparents, the in-laws, my friend's mum, many different pubs/restaurants/carverys, many school or work Christmas dinners- and many more I've forgotten. I think that's quite a large sample pool. Some have been good, but generally they're meh. And they take longer and/or involve more faffing to cook than other meals, meals that will taste a lot nicer. Life's too short for this.

I'll fight every one of you Brexit, roast-loving bastards. Throw your Toby jugs, let's be having ya.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Carverys are really shit.  Everything is so dry you need gravy for moisture alone.

A carvery was the last dinner I ate before flying out on Holiday earlier this year. It was brilliant; all the meats and I even upgraded to the big plate and a giant Yorkshire pud. Then again I always drown my roast with mint sauce and gravy so I don't notice any dryness.

Edited by Accident Prone
Grammar

• Paid Members

How anyone can eat a big plate carvery is beyond me. I've been working hard to get into a shape that isn't a sphere but even when I was fucking huge, I couldn't imagine eating one of those big plates you see all the dobber families forklifting back to their table. Piled up with enough meat to rebuild a cow and more veg than they've ever eaten in their previous existence. I wouldn't be able to move for a week if I ate that. Then the cunts have pudding!

• Paid Members

Scream 1 is...ok. It was lauded at the time for being meta but so many other films had done it before far better. The 80's was full of them; Monster Squad, Fright Night, Return Of The Living Dead. Night of the Creeps. But it was basically a love letter to mediocre slasher films. The sequels are all terrible. To the point that i have had to be reminded  that there's a forth film, despite me having seen it twice.

Wes Craven is very much in the Ridley Scott camp for me. Some cracking early work, mixed in amongst a lot of misses and some genuine shit.