Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Someone’s had their Bill Hicks tapes out

Can't say I've heard it. My post was inspired by a mate talking about we should be ashamed of England's colonial past and I thought that was ridiculous. Why should I be ashamed of something other people did years ago just because they lived on the same pile of dirt as me?

We absolutely should be ashamed of the colonial past.  It's not about personal shame but a collective acknowledgment that the wealth and prosperity of this nation is built on a murderous and thieving past, and recognising that our privileged position owes it to that.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

We absolutely should be ashamed of the colonial past.  It's not about personal shame but a collective acknowledgment that the wealth and prosperity of this nation is built on a murderous and thieving past, and recognising that our privileged position owes it to that.

I can acknowledge it, but I'm not ashamed of it anymore than I'm ashamed of any of the atrocities carried out by British people throughout it's history.

Those actions were done in the name of the nation, not just by a random lone wolf.  I'll use Churchill as an example.  His genocidal racism was his personal viewpoint, but all the politicians and people who voted him in share in the collective responsibility of the death of millions, he takes the blame of course, but because it was done in the name of the country, it's different to him just going rogue.  And those of us living here are benefiting from that.

I guess you can say the same about Tony Blair.

Christmas. We are on the road to Christmas now and the thought of present buying, festiveness, christmas songs and pretending to get along with everyone because its 'Christmas' is just something I really dislike.

I don't mind the snacks, food & drink. Everything else can fuck off though. I don't think it helps when the likes of Tesco are already selling Christmas goodies, keep it exclusive to December. 

• Paid Members

Now I don't work in retail I don't give a shit about Christmas starting early. We used to get Xmas stock in at the end of August which was a bit soul sapping, but now I checking when the local Sainsbury's is going to start doing mince pies. This will be the first Christmas without booze though, so I'll let you know how festive I feel having faced the family sober. 

Edited by gmoney

29 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Christmas. We are on the road to Christmas now and the thought of present buying, festiveness, christmas songs and pretending to get along with everyone because its 'Christmas' is just something I really dislike.

I don't mind the snacks, food & drink. Everything else can fuck off though. I don't think it helps when the likes of Tesco are already selling Christmas goodies, keep it exclusive to December. 

I'm not the most Christmassy guy in the world and I put it down to overkill. Don't get me wrong. I love the day. I love the food. I love the time off work. But I went into my local Coop earlier and they had the mince pies out. The missus took the little one to a garden centre today and there was Xmas tat everywhere. It's only September and still technically summer. Don't lay it on so bloody thick. 

• Awards Moderator

I can't get on with any of the Marvel films. Never finished any of them yet I keep going back and trying again because they get such praise. Even though I loved comics as a teen and wanted decent superhero films. 

They're just all so... dull. Bland. Unremarkable. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

@Onyx2Try Guardians of the Galaxy 1

Fell asleep and missed the last half hour. Didn't hate it (I don't hate any of them) but never felt compelled to catch up. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

Edited by Onyx2

Now I don't work in retail I couldn't give a shit if shops display Christmas shite. They display all sorts of tat I don't pay attention to unless I need it. Always seems such a weird thing to get wound up about. Unless it actually affects you like the poor stock boy who has to find space for all the shite that gets pumped in to store that nobody wants to buy yet.